Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That Arbor injector looks fairly promising - how much of a pain is that to use in practice? I've got a bunch of ash trees w/ EAB next to a stream, so I can't use any root drench products.

Although it looks like the price of the gun has gone up, and it's $645 now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Checkin in, I'm planning to do the same thing discussed on the first page of this thread. Weekend cabin, must kill wood/deer ticks and put a dent in mosquitos.

Apply Talstar P from my backpack 2 stroke sprayer. I wish to do this as little as possible, apply every 4 or 5 weeks, 25k sq ft with the nuclear 1oz/1sqft maximum per the label. Plan to buy 1 gallon.
New this year will be garlic spray for mosquitos, doing this basically every time we go up. Hand sprayer, much more limited coverage.

Is this still a reasonable plan of action?
Is this treatment plan efficient from a cost perspective?
"Controlled release" Talstar P, looks interesting, but is a LOT more expensive. Is this any good? Would I have to apply it less?

Is there any bee friendly option that JUST kills ticks?
I am getting flack from the family as I killed the bees last year. My argument is two fold: One, I don't want Lymes disease. Two, spraying 25,000 sqft leaves like 15 MILLION sqft untouched, its like less than 0.02% of the property.

Tick tubes - they're basically toilet paper tubes with permethrin soaked cotton in them. They're pretty easy to DIY, or you can buy them commercially (for comically high amounts of money for what they are). The theory is you scatter them around where mice are likely to be, the mice grab the cotton to use for their nests, which kills off any ticks attached to them. This disrupts the tick life cycle, as mice are a pretty common host for larva.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For tiger mosquitos, I've found this trap works pretty well:

https://us-shop.biogents.com/products/bg-mosquitaire

You will need to buy the odor packs each year too:

https://us-shop.biogents.com/collections/mosquito-attractants/products/bg-sweetscent-season-pack

Definitely do a thorough examination of your yard to find anywhere even the tiniest bit of standing water can occur. Mosquito dunks can help for larger bodies of water.

Your town/county may very well have people that will come do the inspection for you, and offer advice.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any tips on house centipedes? I can coexist with a bunch of stuff but they have way too many legs.

My best guess is they're living under the slab of the house, and only coming up sometimes.

I can't figure out what they could possibly be eating, the only bugs I see around the house apart from them are occasional spiders. We've got no plumbing leaks I can find (unless it's under the slab), but there is a stream about 10ft from the house, so it's likely always damp. We've got a whole-house dehumidifer too, and that keeps things around 55% humidity.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

Any tips on house centipedes? I can coexist with a bunch of stuff but they have way too many legs.

My best guess is they're living under the slab of the house, and only coming up sometimes.

I can't figure out what they could possibly be eating, the only bugs I see around the house apart from them are occasional spiders. We've got no plumbing leaks I can find (unless it's under the slab), but there is a stream about 10ft from the house, so it's likely always damp. We've got a whole-house dehumidifer too, and that keeps things around 55% humidity.

Well gently caress me, I went looking for leaks with the boroscope, and I've got a fairly decent leak under the tub whenever it's running.

So, I guess I'll fix that before I go crazy with other options

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

New to me in today, will have a trip report in a couple of months:

I've been rotating through liquids like "liquid deer fence", I've tried the capsaicin pellets that you water in/plant with annuals. They all seem to work to some extent for some amount of time until either this time of year (momma deers at maximum nursing pressure as this years babies are JUST starting to graze) or dead of tough winters where it's "eat literally anything to not starve".

I've got two packs of these so far - https://wirelessdeerfence.com/

It "works" in that it scares deer away when they touch them, we'll see how it does long term. The deer here are relentless. We cannot buy anything that isn't highly deer resistant, and even then we often have to cage it. We started moving on to buying poisonous plants!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would do an electric fence if I could, they have killed tons of things we've planted.

We're by a river though, and apparently are a big pathway for them to go from yard to yard.

If I could find someone to legally hunt them, I would. Hell, you could probably hunt them with a knife, they're utterly fearless.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Report back! When our septic problem is sorted, I'm planning to put a deer fence around the (tiny) back yard, because otherwise everything I love will get eaten.

Trip report: The deer are too smart of these. Sure, they scare the deer if they touch them, but they pretty quickly learned if they don't touch them they're fine. I did have success putting them immediately next to plants they liked to eat - the plants were untouched.

loving deer even managed to open the garden gate somehow and proceeded to eat everything in it.

Unless I can fence in the entire yard so it's not a thoroughfare for deer to go from one neighborhood to another, I don't think I'm going to have a ton of luck with anything.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not electric fence, tall fence. Either 8 feet or 7.5. It takes a determined deer to jump that high (plus either up or down a slope).

Highest fence the town will let me put in is 6ft :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely do the bird seed thing immediately since it's a simple fix. Currently it easily falls onto the ground.

I'll also check around the house, though I think it's in pretty good shape (we haven't seen anything, at least).

One note in that a 5 gallon plastic bucket + lid is probably not sufficient to keep them out. The loving squirrels managed to chew a bunch of the rim off during the one night I left it outside, I imagine the rats would be worse.