Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's Batman Rules. Leaving a guy paralysed and bleeding out on a rooftop is fine because he was alive when you left him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
My big problem with WD2 was that I did most of the game stealthy, to the point where I didn't even know the gun controls in the final mission, but some missions were actually designed by people who weren't aware that was a thing. Biggest culprit for me was one near the end where you have to get a server off a cargo ship and it's actually possible, rather easy even, to do the whole thing via drones and forklifts and cameras while sitting in a nearby boat, except the final trigger of the mission is you have to be in the middle of the ship, for one minute, having a gunfight with everyone just so there can be a big cinematic escape cutscene.

It's also super weird that WD2 presented Dedsec as those innocuous funky hackers fighting for justice, but at some point Marcus outright calls a hit on some gang guys for revenge. Yeah, you can "incapacitate" them but it's pretty obvious from the dialogue that they're assumed to be killed. It contrasts weirdly with letting the Blume guy, the big bad, just get arrested by cops out of some sudden respect for due process. Well no, I get why that guy gets to not be killed since he's white while the gang guys are latino, which ties into some other similar issues in WD2. Of course the Dedsec NPC who gets killed is the black guy. Holy heck after that part I checked the promo artwork and he isn't even in the team shots, the robot is! The robot gets a more significant death scene than Horatio, even! By the way, the subprime crisis was the product of chinese hackers, not american crooks, of course.

This extends to how of course the Legion WD2 guest is Wrench and not Marcus.

Wrench's chapter of the final mission was also a mission where they obviously intend you to kill everyone and think that's super cool, to the point of disabling your drones. Had to do it in a stealthier way since I feel the gunplay's terrible, especially combined with infinite reinforcements.

And, well, from the get go it's super weird that it's about Marcus being unfairly profiled by the prejudice-laden system as a potential criminal hacker and terrorist and who sets out to prove the system completely right in increasingly violent and destructive ways. I kinda thought they may explore that when there was a disagreement between Dedsec girl and Dedsec old guy but they never follow up on their initial disagreement. It could've led in how Dedsec's an actual radicalized resistance organization in Legion but no, that's not what happens at the end. Seems they're ging with the angle of them actually being nice resistance types framed by the system (this time a PMC) anyway.

I think I'd have been more likely to play Legion immediately if I hadn't finished WD2 this summer (well, that and the whole Ubi debacle). The hacking/drone gameplay was really nice (when the missions didn't forget it existed) and the initial pitch reminded me of the old Midwinter trilogy, which had the whole open world resistance social network thing going long before GTA3 even introduced open worlds to the mainstream. But as it stands, I feel there's some serious gameplay and ideology issues, the latter of which tie a bit too closely into the whole summer Ubi revelations, so I'm gonna wait a while on that one.

Chev fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 26, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
CohhCarnage is streaming an early look at the game at the moment -
https://twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

I've not watched much, and haven't seen a dog yet, but holy poo poo the game is pretty. He has it on a 3080 with RT on ultra and DLSS on quality, and it looks awesome. Can't wait.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Totes a double post but if you're pre-loading, you can go to the game page in Uplay and under Owned DLC there's a button to preinstall the HD textures, which you have to do separately. It's an extra ~15GB download, requires an extra 20GB space installed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDRXrx2mTLc

Video from ACG of him loving around on a permadeath mission, some of the social connections seem surprisingly deeper than I would expect. TLDW; guy wants to recruit a palace guard but most of them hate Dedsec, finds one who has a sister who's lukewarm to Dedsec. Does a mission for her, sister joins, but her brother is still reluctant. Ends up getting incapacitated during the brother's recruit mission because drones and a gang tracked him much further than anticipated. Tries the mission again as the sister, misses a jump and falls from a rooftop and dies. So the sister is dead, the brother REALLY hates Dedsec now, and every other contact the sister had is no longer available.

I could see that frustrating people (which is probably why it's a toggle) and Ubisoft janky stealth/combat could lead to a few bad ends but I kind of love it as a concept? Is this the tingle of hype I feel?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

AirRaid posted:

I'm one of those weird people who actively enjoyed both previous Watch Dogs games.

Tons of people did, goons just think it's cool to hate ubi stuff.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is the consequence of the brother hating deadsec? Just that he's not recruit able? Or is this pool of NPCs drawn from to populate missions with named enemies?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

What is the consequence of the brother hating deadsec? Just that he's not recruit able? Or is this pool of NPCs drawn from to populate missions with named enemies?

He mentions being permanently unable to recruit him but I dunno if there are implications beyond that. He was also a guard at Buckingham Palace so will likely technically be an enemy at some point but its not clear if there's a difference in behaviour for enemies just disliking vs. overtly hating you or if that only matters for recruitment. It's an interesting idea to me because most open world games are so reluctant to have actual consequences that it's neat that WDL will have a "oh you hosed up now they're dead forever sorry" option.

Admittedly the whole thing working is dependent on the radiant systems coming together effectively and the radiant systems in Odyssey were dreadful so I'm still skeptical, but we'll see soon!

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I've seen from the nerd3 videos that these characters will pop up occasionally and do things like recognise your characters at inopportune moments etc, seems interesting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AirRaid posted:

holy poo poo the game is pretty

Do you think so?

Ive been watching the story trailer[*] and while the reflection effects look nice the art direction seems sort of a mess. Something about the difference between background and foreground stuff just feels off, I think. And the face texture on the operative they use just looks like..flat mud?

I mean, Ill still play it at least a bit. I guess Death Stranding, Control, and Witcher 3 (5 years old!) have spoiled me a bit. Having the reflections but flat lighting on most scenery is sort of messing with me. What does the main character cast shadows on and what dont they? I keep losing track of which way the light is coming from.

[*] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWogai4XFG8

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I feel the same way, the shaders are nice, the engine looks good, it's a great looking game on a technical level but I'm not a big fan of their version of sci-fi future-ey poo poo so the actual design of a lot of stuff falls flat for me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah that impression to me was just from the general detail of the city and stuff, from a guy wandering/driving about fairly randomly. The city looks grubby and imperfect yet the RT reflections and other stuff made it look really good, in a grounded kind of way. It's not fantastically pretty in terms of, say, Horizon Zero Dawn or even Cyberpunk, but I felt from the little bit of time I watched that it just looked good. Maybe I'm just easy to please. :shobon:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wouldn't compare stuff with Cyberpunk 2077 yet - we still don't know how well it'll look on playable framerates with graphic card weaker than 2080ti.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I wasn't comparing performance. Just that it is a visually striking game. Bright colours! :catdrugs:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am cautiously optimistic about this game. The core idea is mechanically interesting (especially the permadeath version). Fingers crossed that the reviews are good, I guess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Do you think so?

Ive been watching the story trailer[*] and while the reflection effects look nice the art direction seems sort of a mess. Something about the difference between background and foreground stuff just feels off, I think. And the face texture on the operative they use just looks like..flat mud?

I mean, Ill still play it at least a bit. I guess Death Stranding, Control, and Witcher 3 (5 years old!) have spoiled me a bit. Having the reflections but flat lighting on most scenery is sort of messing with me. What does the main character cast shadows on and what dont they? I keep losing track of which way the light is coming from.

[*] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWogai4XFG8

Every modern Ubisoft game not only has weird lighting issues but usually the same weird lighting issues. People were talking about it in the AC thread because it was super noticeable in the preview footage for Valhalla when it had been obscured a bit in Odyssey because Odyssey is mostly spent bathed in perpetual sunrise/sunset glow. I don't even know what to call it but its like only certain things react to it? It was definitely a thing in WD2 and the newest Far Cry games anyway :shrug:

And yes Witcher 3 still looks better than several games released years later, I was kind of shocked at how well it holds up when I was replaying it earlier this year

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I havent played any recent AC games and I didnt notice anything hugely weird in WD2 or Breakpoint, do you have examples or a comparison or something of whats supposed to be wrong?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chev posted:

My big problem with WD2 was that I did most of the game stealthy, to the point where I didn't even know the gun controls in the final mission, but some missions were actually designed by people who weren't aware that was a thing. Biggest culprit for me was one near the end where you have to get a server off a cargo ship and it's actually possible, rather easy even, to do the whole thing via drones and forklifts and cameras while sitting in a nearby boat, except the final trigger of the mission is you have to be in the middle of the ship, for one minute, having a gunfight with everyone just so there can be a big cinematic escape cutscene.

It's also super weird that WD2 presented Dedsec as those innocuous funky hackers fighting for justice, but at some point Marcus outright calls a hit on some gang guys for revenge. Yeah, you can "incapacitate" them but it's pretty obvious from the dialogue that they're assumed to be killed. It contrasts weirdly with letting the Blume guy, the big bad, just get arrested by cops out of some sudden respect for due process. Well no, I get why that guy gets to not be killed since he's white while the gang guys are latino, which ties into some other similar issues in WD2. Of course the Dedsec NPC who gets killed is the black guy. Holy heck after that part I checked the promo artwork and he isn't even in the team shots, the robot is! The robot gets a more significant death scene than Horatio, even! By the way, the subprime crisis was the product of chinese hackers, not american crooks, of course.

This extends to how of course the Legion WD2 guest is Wrench and not Marcus.

Wrench's chapter of the final mission was also a mission where they obviously intend you to kill everyone and think that's super cool, to the point of disabling your drones. Had to do it in a stealthier way since I feel the gunplay's terrible, especially combined with infinite reinforcements.

And, well, from the get go it's super weird that it's about Marcus being unfairly profiled by the prejudice-laden system as a potential criminal hacker and terrorist and who sets out to prove the system completely right in increasingly violent and destructive ways. I kinda thought they may explore that when there was a disagreement between Dedsec girl and Dedsec old guy but they never follow up on their initial disagreement. It could've led in how Dedsec's an actual radicalized resistance organization in Legion but no, that's not what happens at the end. Seems they're ging with the angle of them actually being nice resistance types framed by the system (this time a PMC) anyway.

I think I'd have been more likely to play Legion immediately if I hadn't finished WD2 this summer (well, that and the whole Ubi debacle). The hacking/drone gameplay was really nice (when the missions didn't forget it existed) and the initial pitch reminded me of the old Midwinter trilogy, which had the whole open world resistance social network thing going long before GTA3 even introduced open worlds to the mainstream. But as it stands, I feel there's some serious gameplay and ideology issues, the latter of which tie a bit too closely into the whole summer Ubi revelations, so I'm gonna wait a while on that one.

i mean you can see horatio is hosed from the beginning because of how bland his character model is.

Wolfsheim posted:

Video from ACG of him loving around on a permadeath mission, some of the social connections seem surprisingly deeper than I would expect. TLDW; guy wants to recruit a palace guard but most of them hate Dedsec, finds one who has a sister who's lukewarm to Dedsec. Does a mission for her, sister joins, but her brother is still reluctant. Ends up getting incapacitated during the brother's recruit mission because drones and a gang tracked him much further than anticipated. Tries the mission again as the sister, misses a jump and falls from a rooftop and dies. So the sister is dead, the brother REALLY hates Dedsec now, and every other contact the sister had is no longer available.

I could see that frustrating people (which is probably why it's a toggle) and Ubisoft janky stealth/combat could lead to a few bad ends but I kind of love it as a concept? Is this the tingle of hype I feel?

thats cool. it seems like a fun busy work game for podcasts/audible books.

Wolfsheim posted:

He mentions being permanently unable to recruit him but I dunno if there are implications beyond that. He was also a guard at Buckingham Palace so will likely technically be an enemy at some point but its not clear if there's a difference in behaviour for enemies just disliking vs. overtly hating you or if that only matters for recruitment. It's an interesting idea to me because most open world games are so reluctant to have actual consequences that it's neat that WDL will have a "oh you hosed up now they're dead forever sorry" option.

Admittedly the whole thing working is dependent on the radiant systems coming together effectively and the radiant systems in Odyssey were dreadful so I'm still skeptical, but we'll see soon!

i suspect you just have to do extra quests for said guard man. like if you want to turn a albion guard or a cop or etc. you have to go through more hoops than "rando on the street" or protester.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats cool. it seems like a fun busy work game for podcasts/audible books.

Put on Piketty's Capital and Ideology or some Marx to learn about the revolution while you do the revolution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Put on Piketty's Capital and Ideology or some Marx to learn about the revolution while you do the revolution.

i am probably gonna listen to behind the bastards or the dollop or LPOTL but whichever.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Lot of cranky goons from the CP2077 thread 'bout to show up in here over the next few days lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

black.lion posted:

Lot of cranky goons from the CP2077 thread 'bout to show up in here over the next few days lmao

lol. yeah. not shocked it got delayed. they are probably making the next gen update poo poo work better. etc.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

It's cool w me honestly now I feel less stupid about preordering this, ghostrunner, and rear end vikings whilst on the drink :black101:

Also the likelihood that I will study as much as I've planned for my next CPA exam just went waaaaaaaaay up

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

black.lion posted:

It's cool w me honestly now I feel less stupid about preordering this, ghostrunner, and rear end vikings whilst on the drink :black101:

Also the likelihood that I will study as much as I've planned for my next CPA exam just went waaaaaaaaay up

I was gonna ignore AC until it goes on sale in three months but the day Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed they knocked $10 off the preorder for AC on Amazon so gently caress it we're going full Ubisoft this holiday season

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Man, I was going to wait on buying this until they add invasions but seeing this has me hyped. It might come down to a coin flip between this and Assassin's Creed when I get my PS5.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Man, I was going to wait on buying this until they add invasions but seeing this has me hyped. It might come down to a coin flip between this and Assassin's Creed when I get my PS5.

id get both and Spiderman miles ultimate edition because than you get 4 games.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Im really exited for the game to come out!!!! This is the first game Ive preordered in several years. Im keen to see how well the play anybody mechanic actually works once Ive got my hands on it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was planning to ignore this game until a big sale but now that cyberpunk is delayed I might get it if the reviews are enticing enough

I bounced off the first two games, but I did really want to like them and I got a lot farther in 2 than I did in 1 so maybe third times the charm. And apparently Ubisoft upper management doesnt care too much about this game so maybe that means the creative heads will be free to execute good ideas

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was planning to ignore this game until a big sale but now that cyberpunk is delayed I might get it if the reviews are enticing enough

I bounced off the first two games, but I did really want to like them and I got a lot farther in 2 than I did in 1 so maybe third times the charm. And apparently Ubisoft upper management doesnt care too much about this game so maybe that means the creative heads will be free to execute good ideas

i am probably gonna be wrong but i feel like the tone is better in this one? 1 wanted to be some dark crime thing and hosed up the landing with like a bunch of obvious rewrites. 2 is fun but its all over the place tone wise. 3 seems to be basicaly setting up a darkish story with the dude who made far cry 2 but letting you set the tone with anyone being a protag.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

2 was weird yeah. Again, never finished it, so maybe it addressed this in the end but it had a tone of hacker pals on a quest to prank for epic lulz but if you wanted to accomplish said pranks by gunning down dozens of (as far as I could tell, innocent) security guards with an AK-47, it was a completely valid option but the narrative never really adjusted to that choice

The mission where you steal cybercar or whatever it was called was especially jarring. Those guards were just guarding a movie studio and I murdered them all, and nobody really talked about it. Technically my fault I suppose, but

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

2 was weird yeah. Again, never finished it, so maybe it addressed this in the end but it had a tone of hacker pals on a quest to prank for epic lulz but if you wanted to accomplish said pranks by gunning down dozens of (as far as I could tell, innocent) security guards with an AK-47, it was a completely valid option but the narrative never really adjusted to that choice

The mission where you steal cybercar or whatever it was called was especially jarring. Those guards were just guarding a movie studio and I murdered them all, and nobody really talked about it. Technically my fault I suppose, but

yeah. its all over the place. the new one is basically shooting facist PMC rear end in a top hat and Chav super criminal syndicate and you can recruit them too if you want.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, I think they have put more clear villains (guy who seems to want to establish an authoritarian goverment replacing free democracy, and criminal syndicate) so you will feel less guilty while mowing down people.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can you recruit any of the PMC guys, that'd be cool. I bet if they're not free-recruitable there's a special one you can get.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

can you recruit any of the PMC guys, that'd be cool. I bet if they're not free-recruitable there's a special one you can get.

yeah you can. anyone outside probably the main baddies are probably recrutible.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone know what time this thing comes out on uplay? Also is there a regional release where I can VPN to New Zealand and get it early?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah you can. anyone outside probably the main baddies are probably recrutible.

I assumed they'd have some kind of brain chip that would fry them if they got compromised, if not I'm just going to recruit tons of those guys lmao

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone know what time this thing comes out on uplay? Also is there a regional release where I can VPN to New Zealand and get it early?
According to the Ubisoft Pre-Load and Start Times it's October 29th 12:01AM local time so presumably yes if you VPN to New Zealand you can unlock it early.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I assumed they'd have some kind of brain chip that would fry them if they got compromised, if not I'm just going to recruit tons of those guys lmao

i am gonna recruit loving randos and vets and maybe some cops and guards. idk. i will see i guess.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oh so the game is out in like 8 hours. That's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Subscribed to Uplay+ so as long as I beat this game in a month I only paid $15 for it. What a deal