Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Watch Dogs 2 was a superior game and world in virtually every way, it’s amazing what a step back they took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

man nurse posted:

Watch Dogs 2 was a superior game and world in virtually every way, it’s amazing what a step back they took.

Yeah :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It also has pretty terrible post-release support for a recent Ubisoft title, which is something I wasn't expecting. It was already delayed like half a year, but they're still catching up with basic bugfixes and features the game was supposed to launch with, so there's no room (yet? ever?) for enhancements and additions like the AssCreeds and whatnot have been getting those past years :confused:

But hey you can buy a season pass/gold edition, maybe there will actually be content for that in the next two years :v:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

man nurse posted:

I still contend that the recruitment system is a really cool idea....for a hypothetical game that doesn't exist yet. So WDL is a decent test demo for a game that may or may not get made in the future...?

But yes if you wanna play a Ubisoft open-world stealth game (and also really want it to take place in the modern day and not feature hidden blades or FPS combat or wingsuits) then WD2 is your current best bet

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I like the entire WD series as all three games basically let me explore idealized fantasy versions of three major cities I've gotten to visit in real life...but with that said, WDL let me recruit a leather-clad granny with a purple hipster haircut, who looked like the love child of Robert Z'Dar (of Future War/Soultaker/Samurai Cop fame) and Mrs. Slocombe from "Are You Being Served?"; and for that alone, it automatically gets the top spot in my book

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I will say that I generally really enjoyed WDL, and I probably like it the most of the trilogy.

I just had a terrible experience with the PS4-PS5 version switchover, especially with regard to trophies. It also didn't help that I was rushing the story by the end so I could move on to AC Valhalla.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The map was the biggest dissapointment for me. Too futuristic to be unfamiliar, not futuristic enough to have a really unique feeling. It just ended up feeling super bland.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
In WD_L I found the combination of the construction worker and spiderbots kind of breaks the game with how easy everything suddenly becomes.
Yeah WD2 is a way better game, even if the story is incredibly goofy.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Skye Larsen did nothing wrong, and terrorists broke into her house and killed her dog.

e:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Started playing W_D:L the other day, and recruited a 71-year-old granny for the sole reason that she looked like the love child of Mollie Sugden and Robert Z'Dar, with a CP2077-style haircut, black lipstick, and clad in leathers. I didn't get a screenshot because honestly I think that a picture would somehow diminish the actual horror that such a creature can conjure in a person's mind.

I passed an old lady clad entirely in leopard print, scanned her, and found she was a dominatrix with a spiked bat. Her recruitment mission revealed she'd been playing vigilante, going into Kelley hangouts and beating nine shades of piss out of them with no safeword.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 9, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The recruitment missions get very repetitive in no time which is why I just ended up tracking down deep profiler options for everyone less than halfway through the story. Beating up a "nemesis" or hacking some SIS operative is repetitive too, but at least it's much faster than infiltrating the exact same red zone for the 5th time.

Skills being semi-random and not customizable meant the only value of the recruit everyone feature to me was character customization in a Saints Row-y way (the "haha grandma in wacky clothes beating up the baddies" thing) except the default clothes are randomized too (and operatives you're not actively controlling will revert to their default clothes) so that wasn't a very strong incentive in the end, either.

I'm actually replaying WD2 right now and while the story does suffer from blatant ~ludonarrative dissonance~ occasionally, it's overall the much better game with systems/mechanics that actually feel like someone put more than minimal thought and effort into them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The map was the biggest dissapointment for me. Too futuristic to be unfamiliar, not futuristic enough to have a really unique feeling. It just ended up feeling super bland.
Everything looked too much like the same to me. And London's narrow road don't do anything for fun driving.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Aaand I loaded my game and all my masks are gone. The blue boxes have respawned (Literally I watched one pop in as I was approaching where I knew it had been), but without map markers and I can't pick them up.

That's gonna be the straw that broke the camel's back for me, I was already jaded on the uninteresting combat, repetitive recruitment missions, and mostly-identical characters. Not having access to part of my Pretty Terrorist Dress-Up Simulator is making my interest level crash.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
ScriptHook is coming to Watch Doge Legionella, maybe mods can save this game? :thunk:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Only a sequel to WD2 can save this game.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine there's going to be a huge modding community, there are barely any for WD1 & 2.

But I found Legion to be pretty okay, although I hope they go with a less weirdly dark storyline for the next game. I want a lighthearted hacker story, not slave and organ markets.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fame Douglas posted:

I can't imagine there's going to be a huge modding community, there are barely any for WD1 & 2.

But I found Legion to be pretty okay, although I hope they go with a less weirdly dark storyline for the next game. I want a lighthearted hacker story, not slave and organ markets.

Didn't the first game have a trafficking mission as well?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It did, I can't help but think someone on the creative has a fixation and demands they keep trying because this time we can do justice to the subject guys!

I mean there are lots of thematic, topical things to deal with in modern British authoritarianism and black market organs, er, aren't one if them...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It only took a bit over half a year but the 2nd worst Watch Dogs game is getting its first "big" season pass content some time today:

It's a single mission or probably a short mission chain like the two they did before, and a hero with mind control powers (yes, in the hacker game). Two new regular classes you'll probably never find/use and some online stuff. Also limited customization of your random operatives (hair, facial hair, piercings, makeup, tattoos).

Personally I'm looking forward to June (actually probably July) to play Aiden Pearce, the biggest best hero of the franchise :v:

And if we get literal magic powers with some random hero already, what will the AssCreed crossover bring? Isu-powered fireballs?

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 4, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully, the Aiden Pearce DLC will come with his iconic cap??

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I think I paid for the season pass and forgot that any dlc was actually coming out

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so it's early november this game is coming out right? any preview material yet?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This season pass is a joke, even more so than season passes usually are.

They actually added a few good things to the game and fixed (or started to fix) parts where QoL was lacking:
  • Hair/facial hear (yes you can add beards to your grandma assassin)/tattoos/piercings are customizable now. Voices (if you have 90% Irish operatives and 10% 20-something supermodel types that sound like a 80yo) and traits (in whatever forms that makes the terrible trait combos/classes useful) are not, and might not be planned.
  • The operatives keep their customization even if you're not actively playing them, so they don't go back to their default looks for cutscenes or while standing around in the safehouse.
  • The map icons for the "paste-up" activity are now showing checkmarks so that should make it easier to figure out which ones you found but didn't do yet (I don't have any found but undone ones on my map right now to check). For cheevos, you also need to drink and play darts in every single pub though, and those don't have checkmarks yet. Baby steps. E: They also check off the drinking and darts opportunities now (for the cheevos), but in my savegame they were all showing up as undone at first, even those I definitely did in the past.
  • They added a bunch of new traits that complement the game alright, like getting money from ammo pickups, getting more ammo in general (from pickups and stored on the character), damage resistance against accidents (crashes, fall damage), faster health regen, also two penalties that make the PMC or the gang aggro on that operative even without wanted level (if you want the challenge I guess?). Without some control over who gets those, they're as meaningless as the rest of the random traits (all the good traits/tools are always on preset classes like hitmen etc.)
  • They added the half-masks from the previous games (the shawl type Aiden and Marcus pull up from their neck instead of the full helmets and gas masks).
  • Visiting a shop adds its inventory to the shop UI in the safehouse so you don't have to track down the one specific shop where you saw the shiny boots you couldn't afford because they were 3500 bucks (and money pickups are 100-300 each :v:) so you can just do all the clothing and cosmetics shopping customization from the warehouse now.
  • They added more weapon skins, didn't check car colors now - unfortunately they're all very overpriced, and car paint jobs are pointless (because they only apply to characters who have their personal car).

What didn't receive any sort of upgrade + caveats from above:
  • Can't listen to audio logs outside the menu.
  • Can't listen to radio stations/music outside of cars.
  • No customization of traits without RNG giving you one with the stuff you want (or without the penalty you don't want).
  • No customization of tools either, characters who don't spawn with a specific gun type can never use that type (just the shock weapon you unlock for everyone), and you have 6 gadgets but still have to switch them out from the main menu while outside of restricted areas, unless a character brings a gadget like the spy watch or the guards' explody-drones, then you get to quickly switch between that and the one tool you selected.
  • Post-story missions are bland, they always end the same way - either you can stealth to a computer, hack it and leave (spiderbot counts too), or you're forced into a point defense mission where the game spawns a bunch of enemies who will instantly know where you are.

The actual season pass content is ridiculous. This new Mina prestige hero was announced with a backstory about fleeing from a lab like you get to play all that.

Nope. That's all in a 2-minute cutscene they put on Twitter. In game, she just shows up in front of your safehouse and joins after a few lines referencing her horrible past experience. Her "mind control" works more like corporeal possession. When you mind control someone, Mina disappears into the target. If that character dies, Mina dies if you have permadeath on. It's also currently bugged and people find themselves unable to leave the possessed character without reloading or switching to a different operative.

It's so :effort: it hurts and that's their big season pass drop after half a year, and some missions that are not unique at all. This update is something that would have been fine like 1-2 months after release, as a first goodie for season pass owners and to show they're taking post-release support seriously. They don't. I have no idea what the hell Ubisoft is doing (other than trying to turn WD into GTA Online, I guess that's what their entire dev budget since release was spent on).

Also for some reason my game reset all the previous addon mission chains (Guardian Protocol and Not in our Name) except they're not showing up as a mission chain, I get to replay all the single missions out of order :confused:).

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 4, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fame Douglas posted:

Hopefully, the Aiden Pearce DLC will come with his iconic cap??

judging from the picture. yes. i like aiden because of how terrible, dumb and sociopathic of a character he is. he will fit right in with my version of deadsec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehukpdse8_w

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This game mostly sucked poo poo from an rear end, was a major step back from 2 in every way, and bringing back Aiden Pearce of all things is certainly not going to make me come back and check out more.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s especially strange to me that they seemingly ignored the favorable reactions 2 got and instead went and doubled down on more of the tone and style of 1. Even the open world itself feels anemic as hell.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

It’s especially strange to me that they seemingly ignored the favorable reactions 2 got and instead went and doubled down on more of the tone and style of 1. Even the open world itself feels anemic as hell.
I was reading they had more boroughs of London planned to be in this game, which had to be scrapped. I can barely imagine how screwed up the project management for WDL has been, Ubi rarely hosed up their big series that much in the past few years. They occasionally went in questionable directions which they had to fix (The Division, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Rainbow Six Siege until playing for free wasn't a trap, stuff like that) or simply made games that weren't great but sort of well made (most Far Cry games), but with this game they seem to aim for a big combo of bland and unfinished. Or maybe it wasn't actually an important franchise to them, instead it was in fuckup-limbo together with BG&E2 and other stuff.

Watch Dogs is probably going to be dead for a while and that's too bad, after #2 I had high hopes. Online will not save this game and neither will Aiden Pearce :laffo:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Aww man I was hoping for more parts of the city. I want to visit my house!

Alternatively how can we have a game about evil corpos without visiting Canary Wharf?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
With the help of the new checkmarks on the map I finally finished all the trophies but I also realized 1) playing this game didn't get me any Ubisoft points and 2) 99% of my Ubi points expired during the last two months. I didn't want the jackets (30 points each) or masks (60 or 100 points each) anyway but still, Ubisoft is my favourite scummy as gently caress publisher again :laffo:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The people on the watch dogs subreddit are all really excited to play as Aiden and think the first game was the best in the series, I don't get it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

The people on the watch dogs subreddit are all really excited to play as Aiden and think the first game was the best in the series, I don't get it.
I saw that and yeah, my reaction was the same. They can't wait to play Aiden, make multiple posts on how to make their operatives look like him... Just why? At best, he was just completely bland in W_D.

E: Although I think the people on the subreddit all have Stockholm syndrome. Season pass stuff extremely delayed and (so far) lovely? Be happy it came out they don't owe you anything at least it's not Cyberpunk 2077! New paid character broken unless you start the game from scratch? It's fine it will get fixed stop complaining (obviously Ubisoft is a small indie outfit, give them a chance I guess). The fixed traits and gear make 90% of the randos useless? That's a feature, it would be pointless if Joe Clown could be trained to use a 9mm gun. Also unrealistic because not every civilian knows how to shoot guns (don't mind them 360-noscoping paramilitary mercs with their shock pistol and very non-lethal shock grenade launcher that explodes cars and drones in your face). The game is perfect and the best since Aiden, please watch this 15 minute video on where you can find professional hitman spawns because that's the only class you need/want for everything.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 9, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

I was reading they had more boroughs of London planned to be in this game, which had to be scrapped. I can barely imagine how screwed up the project management for WDL has been, Ubi rarely hosed up their big series that much in the past few years. They occasionally went in questionable directions which they had to fix (The Division, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Rainbow Six Siege until playing for free wasn't a trap, stuff like that) or simply made games that weren't great but sort of well made (most Far Cry games), but with this game they seem to aim for a big combo of bland and unfinished. Or maybe it wasn't actually an important franchise to them, instead it was in fuckup-limbo together with BG&E2 and other stuff.

They also last minute made some HUGE changes to the gameplay systems based on previews. Originally every character was going to have a small semi-random skill tree but they cut that in favor of built in skills. Probably to simplify mission design.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Was that before or after they delayed the game for a massive overhaul because oops people weren't buying the excessive grind for monetization in Ghost Recon Breakpoint?

I didn't really follow the previews of WDL to be honest.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was after the breakpoint backlash, when they delayed all their upcoming titles. When Legion was first shown at E3, it had XP and skill trees for operatives.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame/status/1397953442098855938?s=19

Hey, maybe they made Aiden...good now? Or maybe Jordi is just good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i forgot he was called the fox

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I'll play it whenever it comes out I guess

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Just got this for PS4 (for less than 20 bucks on current sale). I loved WD2 but never finished due to the story losing me in the end.

What difficulty level should I play? I'm inclined to go Hard + Permadeath, but I've heard some late game missions with hordes of ene.ies spawning, is that true?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes, a lot of story missions are about waiting for a lengthy hack to complete near a point in the middle of a restricted area, while the game endlessly spawns enemies with big guns* who know exactly where you are. It shows up frequently towards the end of the story arcs/the main story in general, but that mission type can also show up in recruitment missions from the start, either you have to hack some device in the middle of an enemy compound or you deliver a vehicle to a neutral point somewhere, then the game makes you survive a minute or two against spawning hordes of enemies on the street (but there you can keep running away to win, at least). It's really dumb because you're stuck with the operative and their gadget/weapon loadout while inside restricted areas.

You can always change the difficulty or turn off permadeath at any point, but most operatives are already very squishy in direct combat on normal. Going loud with random operatives is more annoying than in the past, because they took away the ability to pistol whip an alert enemy into a stunned state where you can do regular takedowns, unless you have the gunkata trait (which allows gun takedowns/executions on any alert enemy even without the melee hit/pistol whipping part), so get ready to camp those professional hitman spawn points for the rest of the game.

*) normally, enemies will first try to KO you in melee as long as they haven't seen you with a gun yet / haven't watched you fistfight for a while / no one else has been shooting in the area (like a turret, drone, or the other enemy faction). In the "point defense" missions the enemies spawn fully alert and their accuracy and range is extremely good. If you hijack even an armored CT drone it lasts about two seconds if more than 2-3 enemies with guns can shoot it, it's ridiculous.

Also, different topic, but I think my game has regressed in terms of bugs and stability, not only am I constantly losing the car radio now (unable to turn on the music or switch to another station until I reload the game from the main menu) while still crashing as often as before, at least since this "4.0" patch I've been watching NPCs warp around the world like mad. Which can be hilarious when suddenly there's a commotion because someone fell 50 m from the sky or deep inside an enemy stronghold there's suddenly a janitor who fell through the world and got knocked out. It can be very annoying though, eg. my mission targets suddenly moved halfway across the map, and then back, escorting friendly NPCs out of a restricted area gets them teleported to death after we finish speaking, failing the mission (and setting their recruitment or that of their friend back even more), Albion cars are frequently phasing in right as I drive through them, leading to unnecessary wanted levels, or the game spawns an enemy patrol where I'm talking to an NPC, which makes the enemies go full aggro trying to punch me in the face because I'm "too close" while I'm in a cutscene. That's on both base PS4 and PS4 Pro...

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 29, 2021

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
So can I play Aiden in the regular game after his little story, and can I immediately permakill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wolfsheim posted:

https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame/status/1397953442098855938?s=19

Hey, maybe they made Aiden...good now? Or maybe Jordi is just good.

oh good, he gets to visit and probably traumatize even more his nephew/son.

HebrewMagic posted:

So can I play Aiden in the regular game after his little story, and can I immediately permakill him

yeah probably.

marktheando posted:

That was after the breakpoint backlash, when they delayed all their upcoming titles. When Legion was first shown at E3, it had XP and skill trees for operatives.

yeah, at the first e3 it was shown at, it was full "your people have levels and poo poo"

Mokinokaro posted:

They also last minute made some HUGE changes to the gameplay systems based on previews. Originally every character was going to have a small semi-random skill tree but they cut that in favor of built in skills. Probably to simplify mission design.

sorta. it was originally "dude 1 has 20+ melee damage while lady 4 has -30 speed but 50+ durability when shitfaced" it was basicaly number poo poo. they tossed the level poo poo because breakpoint loving imploded and no one wanted that poo poo anymore.