Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

"your people have levels and poo poo"
sorta. it was originally "dude 1 has 20+ melee damage while lady 4 has -30 speed but 50+ durability when shitfaced" it was basicaly number poo poo. they tossed the level poo poo because breakpoint loving imploded and no one wanted that poo poo anymore.
Admittedly I never played Breakpoint, but it seems to me that kind of thing would work in WD Legion by increasing players investment in team members, something that's really lacking right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lessavini posted:

Admittedly I never played Breakpoint, but it seems to me that kind of thing would work in WD Legion by increasing players investment in team members, something that's really lacking right now.

Idk. As someone who saw both breakpoint and legion at e3 in person and played both at launch. I prefer what I got with legion. I genuinely enjoy the play as anyone idea as it is with out levels and poo poo. And hell I genuinely enjoy the weird dystopian world building and themes they put into the game surprisingly well. like london is super depressinly hosed in kinda realistic ways. brexist doesn't go well and scotland leaves so the remaining UK makes that lovely new flag. the leadership are either austerity tories or lovely austerity centrists who basicaly travel the world begging businesses and countries to keep propping them up on constant "good will tours". companies are basically have fully free reign to do whatever hosed up testing and criminal poo poo and the government privatized most of the cops into some erik prince types giant PMC who work hand in glove with criminals exploiting the refugees and immigrants who get stuck in the system. also the pound is dead and basicaly crypto is used instead.

anyway, The issue is at that you can’t really create deep characters with a system like that and I think the game would have been more interesting if the world had reacted more to what kind of resistance you create. Like if you killed a gently caress ton of cops or Albion assholes. Those factions would react and you would have a harder time recruiting ceirtain folks and an easier time recruiting others.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 31, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Your operative doesn't even react to teammates in the open world (and vice versa), the whole "build a resistance" gimmick is extremely superficial and wasn't worth it compared to what they left behind in WD2 in terms of mechanics/features. Or even the story.

lessavini posted:

I agree it's lacking, but I think just adding levels is a cheap :effort: way to try and get people more invested in their team. Besides the world reacting to your team, and the team reacting to each other and/or doing stuff on its own when you're not controlling one of the 50 guys you can recruit, there really should be a way to train your buddies in some ways that goes beyond the existing tech upgrades.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

orcane posted:

Your operative doesn't even react to teammates in the open world (and vice versa), the whole "build a resistance" gimmick is extremely superficial and wasn't worth it compared to what they left behind in WD2 in terms of mechanics/features. Or even the story.

i mean its clearly an expirement to see if this works. i could see it working alot better if they make another one and its fully on new gen consoles and PC, i mean the whole thing is basicaly random generated poo poo made of like 30 arcatypes and like 15 voices that AI changes to make 40 or something. like quarter of my team is made up of the same polish dude.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

orcane posted:

I agree it's lacking, but I think just adding levels is a cheap :effort: way to try and get people more invested in their team. Besides the world reacting to your team, and the team reacting to each other and/or doing stuff on its own when you're not controlling one of the 50 guys you can recruit, there really should be a way to train your buddies in some ways that goes beyond the existing tech upgrades.

They needed A) Some kind of reactivity to how you choose to complete your objectives and b) better level design that took advantage of different operative abilities. Flying on a Drone and spiderbots were hands down better than anything anyone else outside of elite operatives brought to the table, and the elite operatives were mostly fun gimmicks for a mission or two before they got shelved for more drones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheAnomaly posted:

They needed A) Some kind of reactivity to how you choose to complete your objectives and b) better level design that took advantage of different operative abilities. Flying on a Drone and spiderbots were hands down better than anything anyone else outside of elite operatives brought to the table, and the elite operatives were mostly fun gimmicks for a mission or two before they got shelved for more drones.

yeah. the world doesn't react enough to your actions. like after killing like 30 albion dudes, it should be harder to do some stuff or something.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I too make new game modes with the express purpose of utilizing the game's title.

https://nordic.ign.com/watch-dogs-3/46659/news/watch-dogs-legion-of-the-dead-zombie-dlc-announced

I mean, I don't hate this idea? I always wanted a 28 Days Later type of game and this... sort of tickles it.

edit:

Just a heads up so no one else makes this silly mistake thinking you can just launch the base game after it updates.

It's a separate full god damned install...

Deakul fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 1, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a beta, I assume the full launch will be integrated and take less disk space. I have no interest in GTAWatch_Doge Online and dislike zombie content in all games, but cool if they can flesh out the online mode more I guess.

TheAnomaly posted:

At a basic level the game does offer alternative paths with most areas offering three options - you can go in guns blazing, sneak in somehow, or use spiderbots and drones to do it all remotely. The problem is that story missions often require you to be there physically, so drones are only good to get you in or clear the way. And if it's a point defense mission, you can sneak all you want, you still have to deal with 20 guys with assault rifles trying to kill you and then 1-4 traits on that operative are useless again. And it's true there's no reactivity to it, the game will spawn the harder versions of Albion/Kelley enemies as you progress through the story and occasionally specific missions will spawn specific enemies / despawn the default setup of the place, but the way you approach a given restricted area is always the same and the vast majority of operative templates are terrible choices.

You can make a list of traits and each one can be ranked in useless/average/optimal and it will apply to the entire game. There's almost no middle ground unless you do gimmick runs for the sake of it (eg. flatulent low mobility grandma with a nailgun), even the disguises don't change that much although they make it easier if you just need to hack a specific terminal for a recruitment mission for the 10th time. I think without being able to train operatives more yourself, the only way the game's current setup would work is as a squad shooter. Even if it was just a "tag team" like Agents of Mayhem where you bring a team of several operatives but only the one you actively control exists in the game world. This way you could cover more angles without having to resort to the handful of optimal templates that are useful right now (this can STILL lead to optimal setups but it would make way more trait combos competitive because you don't need all of them on just one guy).

And yeah the game world feels extremely hollow in how it doesn't react to what's going on at all. Even turning boroughs "defiant" doesn't change the gameplay, hell it actually makes playing the game less interesting because all the checkpoints and many Albion patrols get despawned.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

it won't let me download the new zombie thing because at some point since I bought this game I tried a month of Ubisoft+ and now the new zombie thing thinks I need to have Ubisoft+ in order to download it, I guess because I briefly played whatever the "ultimate" version of this was like a year ago and no longer have access to it, or the, what, hats? gun skins? pants? it unlocked

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow I just lost 2 hours or more of gameplay. loving Ubisoft. Worst part is I was having fun too, so gently caress this, I’ll just go back to AssCred since it’s been months since I played that (as was the case with WD).

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I’m finally giving Legion a replay and the updates made seemingly have fixed most of the bugs and have drastically reduced load times, at least on Xbox. My previous criticisms of the game aside from bugs still stand, but I’m glad it’s more playable now.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
27 gig update for a storyline featuring Aiden and Wrench

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

im on the net me boys posted:

the graphical fidelity of that hat is going to blow your mind

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Is it weird that this makes me want to actually give WD1 another shot

Like they're so dedicated to Mr. Iconic Hat Uncle that surely, surely the game gets good after that first hour I played of it seven years ago

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I played the entire game and no it doesn't.

Aiden having all those outspoken fans is completely bizarre.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

orcane posted:

I also only played a few hours but I watched an LP of the rest and I agree, it never gets better. Neither the game nor the character

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

orcane posted:

Does he though? It feels like something that Ubisoft is just trying to convince people that they want, like they want Watchdogs to be a legit franchise so bad that they have to push him as an important character for that reason alone.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

WD 1 isn’t a good game but I still enjoy it and I’ve played it about 4 times. Even then I don’t know anyone who particularly likes Aiden at all

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In his office, Sakurai throws another letter from Ubisoft into the trash, unopened. He knows what they ask, and they cannot pay his price.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I guess you could say I like Aidan ironically. He's such a screw-up that almost everyone involved with him either gets killed or has their lives ruined thanks to him. It feels like the game is mocking the player for trying to live out their vigilante power fantasy through him which I find kind of hilarious. I hope they keep that going in the DLC.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

2 waa the only good dogs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

El Generico posted:

Does he though? It feels like something that Ubisoft is just trying to convince people that they want, like they want Watchdogs to be a legit franchise so bad that they have to push him as an important character for that reason alone.
On their forums and on the WD Reddit there are tons of people going "gently caress yeah, can't wait for more Aiden :hfive:" unironically, he does have a sizeable fan base for some reason.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Aiden and Wrench seem tailor-made to appeal to Reddit, so that tracks.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

On their forums and on the WD Reddit there are tons of people going "gently caress yeah, can't wait for more Aiden :hfive:" unironically, he does have a sizeable fan base for some reason.

More like Ubisoft is paying for a permanent army of social media boosters.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

beats for junkies posted:

Aiden and Wrench seem tailor-made to appeal to Reddit, so that tracks.

It's biphobic to say that Wrench was made for reddit

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

It's biphobic to say that Wrench was made for reddit

Okay, that's fair, and I wasn't trying to be queer-phobic in any way. I was referring more to every other facet of his personality and moment of time he's on screen or talking or being talked about by anyone else.

Except for the "alien vs. predator" conversation. For some reason, I thought that part was fine. Maybe because it was just a random conversation that had nothing to do with anyone or anything else in the game, which is rare for a videogame to do. It was just a couple of nerds talking about xenomorphs fighting predators and pointedly ignoring the entire "Alien vs. Predator" franchise.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Legion has a weird bug on Xbox One where to play the new Bloodline content I had to update my season pass (?) and then afterwards it still didn’t let me launch it so I had to install Bloodline as a separate thing by hitting the buy button in Legion (it showed in the Microsoft store that I already owned it so it just showed me an install button instead). I was able to launch it afterwards though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That just sounds like the way things works on the Xbox.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

They gave Aiden a beard and now he looks like a guy who uses Grindr without a face pic

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Does the expansion fix the problem that 90% of the game is hopping on the slow moving cargo drone to hover over enemy bases

because that poo poo was fun but make the cargo drone fast
lean into it Ubisoft you are so close to making it just the puzzle game with drones that it should be

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

lean into it Ubisoft you are so close to making it just the puzzle game with drones that it should be

This was like, 3/4ths of WD2 and probably the reason that game was so well-received, no idea why they backslid so hard on the design

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

This was like, 3/4ths of WD2 and probably the reason that game was so well-received, no idea why they backslid so hard on the design

It seems like Ubi teams got the directive "make everything like the division and ghost recon" even though they've already got those as the shooty-man online games

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Noticing a few audio glitches in the new content, like stuttering, crackling, radio sometimes not coming on, and Aiden sometimes not having voice lines be audible.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Is watch dogs 4 even happening gonna be legion 2, attempting to perfect everything they sold out the rest of the game for and make this worth their time and effort or are they just gonna take a bath and hem closer to 1/2

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

They invested hard into the "Play as anyone" idea and you can tell a lot of things went on the backburner or were cut entirely due to that.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

The licensed music/radio options were almost universally dogshit with a bunch of them coming through HitRecord, making it feel like I'm just tuning into a royalty free music stream. For contrast the music that plays in game - sneaking, combat, etc - is all way better. What this means in practice is I'm playing a Spotify playlist over free roam and pausing it in missions, which is tedious on my Xbox.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

It's a bummer too cuz there's a few gems on the licensed tracks too amidst all the most forgettable GarageBand sounding poo poo you've ever heard

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HebrewMagic posted:

The licensed music/radio options were almost universally dogshit with a bunch of them coming through HitRecord, making it feel like I'm just tuning into a royalty free music stream. For contrast the music that plays in game - sneaking, combat, etc - is all way better. What this means in practice is I'm playing a Spotify playlist over free roam and pausing it in missions, which is tedious on my Xbox.

Keep your phone at the ready with the screen set to on, and control Spotify that way.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Keep your phone at the ready with the screen set to on, and control Spotify that way.

Spotify is an ever twitchy bitch that likes to randomly disconnect, but that's about what I've been doing yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Anybody else struggling with the Packrat achievement/trophy (50% of all data files collected in Bloodline)? I know i've missed 6 (mission-specific area) but have collected the rest. Very much seems to YMMV at the moment, even after that update immediately following Bloodline's release. :confused: