Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This got brought up in the feedback thread and it's a good idea: it's probably time to think about updating/upgrading some of the regular thread icons we use. Some remain relevant, some have historic/nostalgic value and shouldn't change, but others are pretty drat out of date.

These are the icons we are currently using for various promotions or overarching use, both MMA and Wrestling related, not including obvious hyper-specific character based ones like or :

MMA:

K-1 and Pride I think basically should remain as they are for their historical value, but the others I'm certainly open to updating if people have suggestions for newer versions. If there are new icons they'd like added I can certainly request getting more added, but updating/changing existing ones is easier.

Wrestling:

- We are NOT changing this one :colbert:

Similarly to the MMA section above, I think ECW and Thunder should remain for historical purposes. I'm sure people would like Impact to have a more up to date icon though I wouldn't want to lose TNA so adding a new one would be my preferred choice. For the rest, if people would like to suggest some new designs (particularly for Raw, Smackdown and WWE) we can see whether they get positive reactions. I don't know if people want an NXT icon, we've struggled to find a good design in the past and the old NXT thread almost never gets posted in anymore so I don't know how much use it would get, but I'm open to seeing if anybody has any fun ideas for it. Similarly, if there are other promotions you think deserve their own icons and have a design you want to show off, please go ahead and show it off and see what people think.

Brut posted:

Hey I don't know if anyone cares but the android Awful app uses a custom square icon for threads and I noticed we have those for some of our icons but not for others (and obviously not for the one that was just added), you can see the existing ones on this page:
https://github.com/Awful/thread-tags/ Scroll down to PSP-******** to find them

So whoever's making these in the future 90px square PNGs are your canvas, and I'll figure out how to get them uploaded. (So the first one is gonna be a little slow)

Here's an example of what it looks like when the square version doesn't exist, as well:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i made the UFC and MMA tags with maybe 10 minutes of effort and i am all for replacing/updating them to something more evergreen. UFC doesn't use red gloves and the MMA logo i literally just ripped from the logo of the EA MMA game that everybody forgot about and a clipart fist.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im too lazy but the WWE tag should be the wwe logo and an up and down scan of vinceflex

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

new wwe thread tag

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

suggestion for a uk tag, idk its an early version

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think maybe it’s time to put the spinner belt tag to bed since that thing’s been gone for seven years now. My suggestion for a replacement: the network logo next to an animation of a graph trending downwards, forever.

Also maybe it’s time to kill the ECW tag and replace it with an NXT tag. And maybe update those RAW and Smackdown tags since those feel like they’re from the middle of the 00s and the original brand split. Maybe the NXT tag has a full body shot of Adam Cole in it, I dunno.

Actually it feels like all the tags should be re-done a little bit, MMA and wrestling. Most of them are long in the tooth outside of the Joshi one, although the Global one could stay since that image is perennial. And I suppose Pharaoh gets to stay on the AEW one just because it’s Pharaoh and he’s a good dog.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

im too lazy but the WWE tag should be the wwe logo and an up and down scan of vinceflex

A monstrosity like this, perhaps?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

A monstrosity like this, perhaps?

yeah, maybe a darker background?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Take HHH/Taker off the Raw and Smackdown tags. replace them with nobody because only the brand matters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

yeah, maybe a darker background?

Here's a couple of variations:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 23, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Take HHH/Taker off the Raw and Smackdown tags. replace them with nobody because only the brand matters.

Honestly, having tags for Raw and Smackdown seems wild to me when Raw and Smackdown threads only exist at this point as weird legacy things. But at the same time I don't really know what would be useful to replace them with, a more genericized Puro or Lucha tag for the big shows on like WrestleUniverse/AAA's Twitch/Abema or wherever?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Put :wato: in the NJPW tag

Maybe add a puro tag for NOAH/DDT/AJPW and a lucha tag for CMLL/AAA?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Here's a couple of variations:

i think put a drop shadow on the WWE logo, burn shader on vince a bit and have it stay on his face for a little longer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
J-Ru selfban for posting vinceflex tia

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

Put :wato: in the NJPW tag

Maybe add a puro tag for NOAH/DDT/AJPW and a lucha tag for CMLL/AAA?

the kawada kick tag is perfect for puro. i wouldnt be opposed to a good lucha libre one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh a Lucha tag would definitely be a great idea.

seems to be the default Puro tag, so I'm not sure if that's better just being left as-is or being updated to be largely the same but with Global changed to Puro?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

do not erase dangerous k

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

i think put a drop shadow on the WWE logo, burn shader on vince a bit and have it stay on his face for a little longer.

The burn shader is beyond me but here's the rest:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

work in progress, thoughts?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hate including Dexter Lumis in there but I really like the logo and BG - I recall the biggest problem with prior efforts was that the T left a weird sense of negative space, but the blockier logo does a good job of fixing that.

Who would be the best person to represent NXT wrestling wise? Johnny Gargano? Adam Cole? William Regal? Or... ughh... Triple H?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Jerusalem posted:

I hate including Dexter Lumis in there but I really like the logo and BG - I recall the biggest problem with prior efforts was that the T left a weird sense of negative space, but the blockier logo does a good job of fixing that.

Who would be the best person to represent NXT wrestling wise? Johnny Gargano? Adam Cole? William Regal? Or... ughh... Triple H?

regal but the regal is crying

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

feel free to play with it guys

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 23, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Global tag feels like a relic of an era where "global" just meant "anything outside the US that wasn't NJPW," and now we know there's a bunch of different international territories with their own unique style/culture. Maybe replace it with separate tags for Puro, Lucha, and Brit/Euro?

And definitely update the ROH one, they haven't used that logo in like 8 years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

regal but the regal is crying

:yeah:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What even is the picture in the global tag?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

What even is the picture in the global tag?

It's Kawada delivering an absolutely incredible spin kick, though I'm not sure who his opponent is:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh yes, I see that now. I couldn't work out if it was like 2 dudes kissing or someone facepalming & was confused but this makes sense.

I think it might be Jumbo he's kicking? Trying to think who else in 90s AJPW it could've been with plain black shorts.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

For the wwe one we could do that gif of R truth dancing across the screen followed by the wwe logo

Alternatively we could have it say then now forever

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

JOHN CENA posted:

feel free to play with it guys

I played with it

Majinfoose fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 23, 2020

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i dont think we need an nxt thread tag imo.

Raw and Smackdown should just he the logo with a WWE icon at most since that's all its about anyway

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Anyone want to change the Pride tag to an animated one of Pride / Never / Die? Could keep the current image as the first frame.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the WWE thread tag needs the old-as-poo poo Vince picture in it, as opposed to vinceflex.

e: here's a generic Impact one:

e2: and here are some variants

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 23, 2020

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Majinfoose posted:

I played with it

This, but it's HHH pointing at NXT like it's the champ.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

e: editing this post with any variants I throw together

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 24, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love it but at the icon size the WWE logo kinda gets lost against the red background. Maybe a white logo variant would work better?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Probably time for a face lift with the WWE tags? Those logos are old. I think they're still represented well by the faces we chose.

ROH reminds me of a happier time.

The spinner belt has been retired for like 7-8 years but boy I love that tag still.

hahahahahaha

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 23, 2020

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Jerusalem posted:

I love it but at the icon size the WWE logo kinda gets lost against the red background. Maybe a white logo variant would work better?

it does! gave it a lil border too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddammit :lol:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

it does! gave it a lil border too.

Oh yeah that's much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, it's clear Golduck is a winner so I made it larger relative to the icon.