Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do the inconsistencies like that actually play into the plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

I'm a little disturbed that the 'war council' has a Geneticist at all, to be honest.

I... I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the geneticist is there for helping with any unknown diseases that may crop up on alien planets. Please tell me "Bioweapons" is not an actual thing you can do in this game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I might have missed the explanation, but what do the radar trucks do? Just give radar for surface battles?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

More of the same as we smash the weakest Garthog planet. Another crew member has things to say, and it's a strange conversation. It seems primarily meant to tell us robotics are really important for some reason and tell us how to do research after we've been doing it for quite a while already. There's more of the 'this universe needs to get its story straight' narrative as well.

If you added 30 or 50 years to his age, I could believe that the scientist was talking about an older model of fighter, akin to someone talking about how much of a pain it was getting labs to coordinate on the M4 Sherman tank, meanwhile you're currently using Abrams tanks and researching their successor.

Making him a wunderkind just makes it seem nonsensical though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean... maybe you could explain the Garthog invasion fleet as the remnant forces from that planet making a hail-Mary attack?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If you knew that the ground attack probably would have failed, could you have made a second fleet with the sole intention of bringing the second wave in directly behind the first, or was it just because the time to fly back to a planet, restock on tanks and then come back is negligible? And does it stay like that through the game?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

I can't wait to hear your explanation for what that fleet does ... or should I say doesn't do ... in the next episode.

When the fleet captain is passed over one too many times for promotions.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh I get what's going on with the plot now! The aliens from X-Com 2 got bored of running "real-world" simulations on the Commander and thought it would be funny to make him play a simulator of how they rose up and took over the rest of the universe, except that he's breaking it over his knee.

Edit: Wait, did I hear the end cutscene right? "Here's a ship that we can't build anymore. It's three times larger than anything in the fleet, and is full of technology that is primitive by even our standards. It's yours now. By the way, we found a race that made the Garthog look like primitives, have fun fighting them kthxbye"?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 14, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

My guess for the patrol fleet:

"Admiral, our worlds are lost to the humans! We are the last of the Garthog military! What do we do?"

"Why, who are these 'Garthog' you speak of? We the noble 'Harthog', and we want nothing but peace with the humans."

I like to think that the highest-ranking captain on the ships sat down, realized that they just lost a 30-year war in the span of a few weeks to a bunch of primitive (technology-wise) hairless apes, complete with losing their homeworld right out from under their noses, and said "I'm the highest-ranking leader now? You know what, let's just call it a day and go home". There has to come a point where you just go "You know what, gently caress it. It's not worth dealing with anymore."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It was a bit of a surprise to me, but that's more because I thought it was either a line added in during translation or just a quick handwave for why there were no human-made robots in the setting. That being said, its also a plot twist that doesn't change anything, so is it really a twist?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

After seeing the newest video, and that the top of the line Flagship, the Kraken taking a "massive" 30-odd days to research... they're literally just reverse engineering and figuring out how to set up the factories to make the proper parts for these ships, aren't they? If I had to guess, every ship except the Leviathan had multiples of each ship in drydock/mothballed because they were too valuable to use, but too powerful to just scrap, and it's just now that they finally feel comfortable with actually taking the old ships apart to see how they actually worked and how to get the factories set up to actually produce each part. That's literally the only reason why I can figure you would need so many of each different type of research center to actually research bigger pew-pews. Either that, or the crew REALLY want their padded seats in the bar (and for that matter, a bar on warships).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering your rapid gameplay and early expansion through the universe, about how much would you say you knee capped the Dargslan by? I mean, it sounds like they're supposed to have at least 1/4 of the galaxy out of the gate, meanwhile you're sitting on (almost?) half of the galaxy now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering how we owned roughly half of the galaxy when the Dargslan started their expansion efforts, I can't help but be reminded of this clip from Blackadder Goes Forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lando131 posted:

*Words about the ending*

While I do agree with most of your points, I don't necessarily think Dante would step down right away. After all, there is still (technically) the long, "slow" process of rebuilding (I say knowing that entire planets were turned into economic powerhouses in a matter of weeks from nothing) and they would probably want Dante coordinating that. They probably could have gotten away with the news anchor saying "Fleet Admiral Dante has been appointed head of planetary redevelopment" or something just as a "Your story ends here, Dante's continues on" type ending. The galaxy is at peace, the three? (At least it looked like there were only 3 left on the map) surviving empires have allied together, and now it's time to repair the damage from the war.

Also... wait, was that the DeLorean picking up a sex worker?