Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Problem description: Previous to the regedit and dcom "fix" I had at least one game crashing to desktop. Now both Dishonored 2 (through gamepass for pc) and Watchdogs 2 will not even load - the only games I've tried. Previous to this, I had repeated crashes to desktop with no error or warning other than a security audit in windows.
Here is one error I've seen occur while trying to load or at least nearby:
A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10013.
Another suspect flag in event viewer is that every time a crash or fail to load occurs there's an audit success log (and a lot of them) at the exact same time, event 5379

Attempted fixes: This has been going on for months.
Here we go:
reinstall windows (several times)
reinstall games
sfc /scannow
dism repair tool
driver verifier multiple times to eliminate problematic drivers (which were deleted)
reinstall drivers (gpu and otherwise)
roll back drivers (gpu and otherwise)
ram testing (its fine)
stress testing on all components (temps are great across the board, psu showed no fluctuation both in bios and during stress test)
Application-Specific Permission Settings do not Grant Local Activation Permission for the COM Server Application’ Error - going through the steps to fix this

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

Reinstalled major gaming distribution platforms from a fresh install. BSOD occurred (attempted to write to read only memory) after installing Oculus drivers and playing dishonored 2, but testing was not done prior to installing oculus drivers. uninstalled oculus and problems still occur, although no blue screens

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 64-bit Home

System specs: Ryzen 1700, X370 MSI Gaming pro carbon, Msi 3080 Ventus and Evga 1080ti (problems have persisted across both graphics cards but only the 3080 is installed now), Viper 3200 8x2, 750w Evga Gold, 6 ssds installed, 1 Hdd.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Edit: so I've tried several more games and most fail to start except prey for some reason. I'm under the impression that the registry and dcom fix I've undertaken has hosed up my comp even more but that doesn't solve the underlying problems either.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Did you run DDU to completely remove drivers? I guess you said you re-installed windows, which assuming you did that to a clean state would do that.

You say you have 6 SSD, 1 HD. Do you have any kind of spanning or RAID going? As a test maybe try going down to just your OS SSD with a game installed?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I've gone through DDU but it doesn't really apply as I've reinstalled windows about 5 times now. I tried firing it up with only gamepass installed (and the game) and got a system service exception error for dxgkrnl.sys, but it was under a different hard drive than the os. I've run chkdsk on everything though and they are reporting as fine. I'm not running anything in raid or spanning (I don't even know what that is).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah I've gone through DDU but it doesn't really apply as I've reinstalled windows about 5 times now. I tried firing it up with only gamepass installed (and the game) and got a system service exception error for dxgkrnl.sys, but it was under a different hard drive than the os. I've run chkdsk on everything though and they are reporting as fine. I'm not running anything in raid or spanning (I don't even know what that is).

That's a DirectX error. Why would that be on a different drive, are you installing drivers in a different location than your OS?

Yeah, I'd unplug all Storage except your OS drive, make sure your drivers are all fine and try to run a game and see what it does. I'm thinking it's maybe a controller problem from your MB, which is why it keeps showing up as random poo poo.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sorry, I meant the game installation was on a different drive than the OS, not the direct stuff.
Most of the time I'm just getting a crash to desktop with no error and the only suspect thing is multiple audit success entries in event viewer, and some dcom errors.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm still getting around to the storage unplugging, I'm just tired from the switching out of my GPU multiple times and there's like six drives to unhook and troubleshoot if it comes down to it. I did install at least one of the problematic games on to the boot drive and while it hasn't crashed to desktop without an error, I did get a random blank screen with a blinking blank prompt until I restarted while just using chrome shortly after playing, and in game I'm getting visuals that are worse than I previously had - it's like gsync is not kicking in any more (this appears to be happening in the other fps game I tested, although they are both by arkane if that is relevant - dishonored 2 and wolfenstein youngblood). I have it set up with a frame limiter -3 of my monitor's refresh rate in the nvidia control panel, including vsync on there and off in game, and have tried both full screen only and borderless windowed and full screen in both the control panel and in game to try to alleviate the issue. I'm really at a loss here besides some kind of motherboard problem that you can't diagnose and just need to replace.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 29, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

If the HD is okay then I'd try using onboard video temporarily to see if it still crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No onboard video available, and I ran a seadisk (I think) health check about two months ago on all my drives, and there's an included health monitor on the samsung drives that is coming up clear which I checked a couple days ago. At this point I'm chalking it up to "comps haunted" and just buying a new zen 3 when they drop in a week or so.