Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for making me aware of the newest card for my "dumb/funny/silly baseball card" collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What's the estimate on how widespread PEDs are?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

Depends on what you're talking about. Stuff like anabolic steroids or HGH get continuously randomly tested for inuding masking agents, so use of those is probably quite low. Drugs of abuse or amphetamines are only tested under probable cause though, so I'd wager that rate is much higher. Also while it's not quite PED's one of the things to come out of the Skaggs tragedy is that it was an open secret teams threw pills at their players if it meant they could play through minor injuries, so a not insignificant number of players are/were addicted to pain killers.

Yeah that all make sense, thanks! I said PEDs because I meant things like amphetamines and not HGH since I could see how useful they could be to a pro ball player and how easy it would be for a team doctor to just say "It's for his ADD"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we sure Cohen isn’t a goon posting in this very thread

Are you saying that Cohen is a Big Mean Jerk?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

gently caress the Phillies

As a Phillies fan I agree.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phillies gave a contract to Vince Velasquez

God damnit I don't want to watch him pitch ineffectively for another year

Unfortunately this is looking like the _only_ move we're gonna make this off-season....

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

euphronius posted:

I hate the Phillies so much

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Poque posted:

The days of :mets: will never end.

Don't worry, the Phillies seem to have become the new :mets:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, I am just absolutely dreading the hot takes my dad will have when they formally announce the name change.

The Cleveland Antifa

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Poque posted:

Please make this post

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

gently caress this team

:hmmyes:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

https://puigdestroyer.bandcamp.com

EDIT: I'm just realizing that not everyone will get it: the name is a play on the band "pig destroyer" and apparently the drummer from Thrice is in this band.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 10, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Phillies ain't doing poo poo this year

Braves coukd cut half their team and still finish ahead of the Phillies

But yeah, Mets are NL East favorites I think

The Phillies ain't doing poo poo until we get new ownership

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I heard somewhere (a podcast) that the MLB is considering rule where each team gets a DH until the starting pitcher is removed from the game, has anyone else heard this?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Henry Aaron has passed.

May he rest in peace and his legacy endure

Oh drat. Big loss for the world.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

RIP Hammerin Hank, this is a tough one.

Yeah, this is hitting me harder than I thought it would.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

howe_sam posted:

The print collection of the Baseball 100 is coming out in October and I cannot wait.

Oh drat, I know what I'm asking my wife to get me for Christmas.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

YAY!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Who's left at ss? Didi and Freddy Galvis?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

more falafel please posted:

https://www.mlb.com/news/freddy-galvis-signs-with-orioles Galvis just signed with the Orioles for 1 year/1.5 (plus 250k if he's traded)

Whelp I hope the Phils get Didi back.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Those dudes also had a pretty entertaining show about goofy baseball cards on youtube, I recommend it.

Oh man, goofy baseball cards are the ones I collect, I gotta check this out.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

hell yeah, this rules

Didi is so cool

:hmmyes:

Dave Dombrowki good.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

General Dog posted:

The sensible compromise for extra innings, if eliminating marathon games and avoiding ties are both of critical importance for some reason, would be to play innings 10,11,12 the normal way and then implement the runners in the 13th.

This 100%. It's a great compromise and iirc the majority of extra inning games end before 12/13 anyway.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Grem posted:

Reverse this one and it looks like he's doing magic!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Poque posted:

Arrieta. I don't care, gently caress you

Sounds about right.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Arrieta is totally washed and I'm very happy I don't have to watch him pitch for the Phillies anymore

This, plus he's a douche

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

I’ve never liked softball because I always thought women should just play baseball

Agreed. What's the reason that women play softball instead of baseball?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

I spent years thinking cricket was insane bullshit that I would never be able to learn, and then a couple months ago I watched a four minute youtube video that laid the rules out and was all "oh huh okay it's actually pretty simple."

I had the same experience and am bummed that most matches are not something I can watch easily

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I vote we just ignore Bauer

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

I vote we just ignore Bauer

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The biggest annoyance with MLB.tv is the blackouts

I'm lucky I'm out of market for the Phillies and that Reddit has some good streams for the 3 games a year they play in my blackout area

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

my hatred for rizzo is unfathomable

Why? Are you envious of his cereal?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popete posted:

I still got my box of RizzOs unopened, next time the Cubs win the World Series I'll eat them.

I don't think it was limited or anything was it? I remember seeing pallets of it in every grocery store when I lived in Chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I collect silly baseball cards so when I saw this I went straight to ebay and picked one up. This is amazing.