Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Cardinals let Wong go because they didn't wanna pay him 11.5m next year :v:

Everyone on a team option is about to get released and the owners are going to cry poor :rip:

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love the White Sox :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Has anyone told Tony about TIM ANDERSON and how much fun he likes to have?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

elentar posted:

Ozuna turned down a qualifying option last year so I think that makes him ineligible to receive one this year.

I believe the part that makes him ineligible to receive a qualifying offer is the fact that he has received one in his career in general. You can't receive more than one under this CBA. (but yea, he's ineligible, just like Grandal last year)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

WEH posted:

gently caress ryan braun i'm glad he got cut even if it's probably for covid payroll considerations. call up broxton i don't care at least he's fun

He didn't get "cut." It was a mutual $15m option and the Brewers decided to pay him $4m so he could become a free agent and they could "save" $11m.

As stated earlier, everyone with an option is getting declined and bought out and there are going to be a hell of a lot of non tenders on arb deals this year. It's going to be an absolute poo poo show.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
lmao Happ had a 17m vesting option guaranteed with 165 innings or 27 starts. Literally impossible in the year 2020.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Troxartas posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of those were converted down for the shortened season, but Happ didn't reach it

Edit: Yeah they did https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/mlb-mlbpa-reach-deal-on-vesting-options-roster-bonuses-other-issues.html

Awww haha. Well at least they agreed to that :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

General Dog posted:

I still don't really see why Houston and Boston bothered firing Hinch and Cora when it was pretty certain they'd be back somewhere else in a year and no one would care by that point.

They were literally suspended?

I mean I guess they could have paid them money through the suspensions? I dunno.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Jedd Gyorko declined for a whole $3.5m in savings. 121 OPS+ last season in 135 PA's.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

Brantley is absolutely worth a year at $19 million

Not in the year 2021 :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Lindor had a "down" year too (I know I know short/weird season).

They are legit just looking to dump money. RIP baseball.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Framing Theo leaving as a cost savings is loving incredible.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

Sucks. No chance at HOF now.

Pretty sure it was gone the first time he did it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bip Roberts posted:

Sounds like he should have worked on his batting

Funny you say that, he has 17 RBI the last four years. He's lost two games 2-1 in which he had the lone RBI.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I like the part where "everybody does this" but it only turns Bauer into an absolute superstar.

Also the 8:45 mark where the ball is stuck to Yadi's chest protector.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't think you need to worry about that unless you think he would accept a 3/50 with a club option for 4th year :v:

They thought Kolten Wong was too much at $13m :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Uhhhh Bryce Harper has a looooooong way to go before any sort of hall of fame talk imo.

He's only received MVP votes 3 out of his 9 seasons and one was MVP-30 and the other MVP-12. That's... not even close to HoF material for an outfielder.

And for counting stat "locks", he needs 170 hits a season throughout the rest of his contract to get to 3,000. He's hit that mark once, in his MVP season.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 11, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Harper is a long ways from being a hall of famer. He's got 11 years left, isn't going to get 3k hits unless he plays until age 40 (and even then who knows), and uh, has had one top 10 season in 9 years.

Someone mentioned Reggie Jackson comp. First 9 years for Reggie he had a 152 OPS+ and led the league in OPS+ 4 times to go along with four top 5 MVP finishes with one victory. Reggie had more bWAR than Harper does through age 27 in 216 less games. That's a far off comp.

I don't even hate the guy and I think he's great baseballer. But he's got a lot of work to do at ages 28+

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I too would vote for the second baseman who magically mashed 300 home runs at age 30+ and played with Barry Bonds. But Bonds? No way you guys.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

No one has collapsed as spectacularly as Andruw Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8qdIcfBCc

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And how do you vote for Jeff Kent and not Scott Rolen

lmao I didn't even think about it this way. gently caress that guy.

It's crazy how similar their stats were and then you throw in elite third base defense and just what on earth.

This year was insane gently caress the Red Sox so much.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 12, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Beltre should be an absolute no brainer unanimous first ballot but we have people voting for ONLY JEFF KENT so yea. It's so dumb.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Beltre also has 3100+ hits and one of like 8 players with 600+ doubles and 450+ dongs.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Not denying it isn't "low" aav but he's coming off of the two best years of his career and will be 33 this July.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Totally forgot Donaldson signed a 4/92 last year at age 34 lmao

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I mean over the last ~200+ ish games that MLB has played, this isn't really a wrong statement.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I get so mad every time someone brings up Turner's contract with the Dodgers. I wanted the Cardinals to go after him so badly and they just ignored that he was an FA entirely.

Wong, Dejong, and Turner would have been an incredible infield, and then adding in Goldy in 2019... ugh..

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

The Cardinals are in a weird space where they ostensibly jettisoned Wong to re-sign Molina and Wanwright, but apparently neither are happy with the offers the Cardinals gave them so :shrug:

There is no way they let Wong go to sign god drat Wainwright and Molina. Letting Wong go was strictly idiot owner money saving. Nothing to do with Molina/Waino.

They literally had all three last year for $35m. Wong's "raise" was like $1m. They weren't giving Waino/Molina $35m combined. Hell, they could have picked Wong's option and given Waino/Molina each $10m and it would have been less overall money spent on those three players than last year.

The Cardinals are cheap as gently caress, have a medicore above .500 team that keeps limping into the playoffs and getting worked. Ownership is happy. They are going to try and do it again with *less* money spent. They are sitting at about $120m in payroll right now with no real intent to spend anything big. It's absolute dogshit.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 25, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

To save $11m they let a second baseman with a top 5 OBP the last 4 years and probably one of the best gloves at the position walk away from team. It's literally indefensible.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

uggy posted:

I think it’s clear that teams value pop more and defense less and replacing wong with edman isn’t the dumbest thing in the world even tho I also would have kept wong

Obviously lots of teams trying to not spend money but nobody else has signed wong to that much money yet

Who is playing third base?

The move would have made a lot more sense if Nolan Gorman was coming up at any point this season, but that won't happen. One more year for Wong would have been perfect. It literally just doesn't make any sense. It just made the team worse and they aren't going to sign anyone to make it better with regards to the infield (or anywhere really).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 25, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

It's gonna be even better when all the dead weight money of Carpenter and Fowler and whoever else comes off the books next year (I think?) and they'll find some excuse to continue not spending any money.

Estimated payroll without options for 2022 is $90m. It's so bad. (Carp, Fowler, CMart, Miller).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Arizona Coyotes allow 4,000 people into their stadium and the Mayor of Glendale (the city in which they play) signed that statement.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't think I ever knew it. After reading her wiki, her life was full of terribleness :(

gently caress Clemens, dude had a ton of affairs apparently.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

Unless MLB is going to let him openly ignore foreign substance rules indefinitely I don't see how you could assume ace-level production to be his norm going forward.

Literally everyone abuses it. He's just more open to wanting that fact to be known to the general public.

But I agree with the rest of your statement. Career years coming into free agency definitely seem to help get bigger contracts, though.

EDIT: Actually I mean, his last 800IP are pretty good :shrug: I still probably agree with you about ace money though.

This is 2016-2020 with 700IP min.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think the "Rolen is really loving good" train started a long time ago, it's just that writers are actually loving dumb (elite defense forever definitely pushes him into the hall).

Helton is actually a bit borderline for me but I wouldn't be mad if he got in or whatever.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He was a very good leader of the banging trash can brigade :shrug:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
ok guys im not mad about wong anymore but theres no loving way the cardinals thought this was for sure getting done this year before they let wong go

this has been a rumor every offseason for like four years

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm not sure it was a huge mistake anymore now that the Arenado thing went through... but declining that option without a for sure Arenado deal was dumb as hell at the time. Edman to 2B, Carp to the bench. Not sure how much is lost going from Edman --> Wong. :shrug:

I know I was very mad about the whole Wong thing (and I still love him) buuuut it has worked out I feel, as Wong was out after this season anyways.

Anyways, great deal for the Brewers, and I'm glad I still get to see Wong play as I'm from the Milwaukee area :)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The second best position player bat on the Cardinals in the broken year of 2020 was Harrison Bader, and it wasn't even particularly close. The Cardinals need a drat outfield bat to go along with Goldy/Arenado for me to have *any* hope they do anything other than squeak into the playoffs and lose again.

Also can we please ship off Carpenter for a $2m savings as well please. (The savings on Fowler was legit like, $2m. Cardinals are sending them like $12m of his $14m left)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

Then you better hope Dylan Carlson takes those next steps in his development brother

Yea, I looked, there are no outfield bats available. We could sign ONE MARCELL OZUNA again but he's a horrible defender and probably hates STL. And I know we are sticking with O'Neill/Bader/Carlson. The defense is going to be incredible on this team. Gonna have an 85 OPS+ outfield.