Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Corey Kluber sounds like the perfect guy for the Angels to sign to a one year deal. He'd be in the bullpen by June with a 6+ ERA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

MLB also had zero enforcement of their protocols in the key moment. It should be entirely predictable that Turner would try to get back on the field for the celebration and MLB was not equipped to stop him.

Yea. I wish Turner had exhibited a little (a lot) more self control but :lol: at the idea of MLB throwing their hands up as if they had any clue about how to handle it or the desire to even do so.

Still baffled at the notion of test results not being available until the game is in progress and I'm trying to imagine how bad Adam Silver and the NBA would get dragged if they let a player start G6 of the Finals with an inconclusive test just to pull him out of the game when the 4th quarter started for being positive.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 28, 2020

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Cant believe a team actually hired TLR to manage in 2020. AJ Hinch was right there.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

lol I'm not sure how this could get any funnier

The alternative was AJ Hinch and that's still somehow better than who they actually went with

It got a lot funnier for me when I remembered those stories about La Russa stealing signs as the Sox manager in the 80s

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

There were some rumors about Tony La Russia moving from Arte Moreno's Special Advisor to GM after Eppler got canned so they already have improved in a sense. Kind of.

But yeah, every GM they are looking at seems to be terrible and mostly against ~analytics~ last I had read

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 30, 2020

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Mike Clevinger signed a 2 year contract with the Padres for 11.5MM

Mike Clevinger is also undergoing TJS tomorrow and will miss all of 2021

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I think that's his second Tommy John, is the track record still terrible for guys that have had two? Eovaldi is the only one off the top of my head in recent years

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
There are actually Dodgers fans that still have animosity towards Yu over 2017? That's insane lol

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I can largely ignore the Nike logo but the Ford decals on batting helmets that the Angels/Astros used in a series a couple of years ago were fuckin awful man and I'd hate to see it be a thing

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Remember Dick Allen the next time some clown says Curt Schilling should be in the hall of fame

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

gently caress Schilling and I laugh every time he doesn't get in but he has a 21 bWAR advantage on Allen

Or do you mean that guys should get in on their play no matter what people might think of them?

e: After a moment of reflection it's probably the second thing

Ya it's this:

bawfuls posted:

Dick Allen (and Ron Santo) deserved to get I while they were alive. Curt Schilling does not.

The inverse will happen, because baseball is American

To add a bit more, I think it's a shame that Allen was labelled as some sort of malcontent because he was outspoken about racism and equality and ended up waiting 40 years for an enshrinement that never came before he died. I assume the other outspoken guy will be able to get in based on his baseball resume though for some reason.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 8, 2020

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Willson is exactly what the Angels need, do your thing Arte

Just make sure you walk away the moment the Cubs throw in a pitcher or two

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

If the Cubs trade Hendricks I might actually cry.

I would legit love a Kyle Hendricks but yeah, this whole thing sucks for you Cubs fans

To think how hard they fought KB on his service time for this bullshit

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The 2015 Royals didn't really seem lucky to me

The 2014 Royals can gently caress right off though for their playoff run

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

According to new court documents, a former Angels employee used to give a ball doctoring substance to a whole bunch of Angels player. Eventually he gave the substance to a whole bunch of players on other teams, and LAA/MLB knew all about it, until he was fired as a scapegoat

Funnily enough, Trevor Bauer was not one of the other players

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-01-07/fired-angels-employee-bubba-harkins-names-players-illegal-product

I remember hearing about this a year or two ago when he got fired and it was framed as him only giving it to visiting players because he was the visitors clubhouse manager or something. It was a weird story and kinda believable because the Angels have had dogshit pitching for eternity but i am not surprised that the Angels also used it

Re: Tommy Lasorda - whatever, my main memory of him is gonna be falling on his rear end at the all star game when an errant bat went flying his way

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Bregor posted:

rofl

The sportswriter from Boston is voting for a guy who played the game The Right Way with class and dignity and respect and integrity and the right amount of melanin

Seriously. That ballot is essentially the skin color meter meme come to life

Legit surprised he left Schilling off

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
That guy should be forced to sell the team and the Giants should lose all their dynasty points

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Kluber is supposedly only looking for a one year prove myself deal and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the Angels to kick the tires on him even though every other recent one year bargain deal has blown up in their faces in spectacular fashion (Cahill, Harvey, Teheran)

I mean poo poo they gave Matt Harvey almost twice as much as Kluber is even looking for, how bad can it really be

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 15, 2021

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

General Bullshit posted:

Castillo for Gleyber is totally fair.

Yeah, well, have you considered maybe Clint Frazier instead?????

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I feel like Frazier getting regular play for the first time last season (39 games btw) is part of the problem here. For one reason or another, the Yankees haven't used him on a regular basis but the one time they do and he posts a 149 ops+ that somehow makes him as valuable as Castillo?

I'd really like for the Angels to trade for Luis Castillo but I don't think Jared Walsh is remotely close enough to get it done

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 19, 2021

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
If the Angels refuse to get better then I'm glad the Astros are determined to get worse

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Quintana is the exact kind of innings eating pitcher a good team needs to round out the back of the rotation. Unfortunately for the Angels he will slot in at number 2 behind the ghost of Shohei Ohtani and in front of a guy who has somehow had Tommy John surgery every year for the past ten years.

I'm not completely down on the Quintana signing because I do think he's been a bit better than his basic stats show recently but man this has been the Angels MO for pitchers for like half a decade at this point. Sign a reclamation guy to a low risk deal and hope it works out. Teheran was supposed to be your league average starter that was basically being paid to just eat innings last year and I bought into that hook, line and sinker.

They're just such a unique mess of no pitching at all, little to no trade chips to offer for pitching (combined with every GM knowing how desperately they need it) and terrible contracts, though the contracts should offer some relief to Arte's wallet over the next season or two when Pujols and Upton come off the books

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

chilihead posted:

Is it possible he got hit in the head with a line drive? i remember legit thinking he was cool way back in 2003. I just can't understand what happened.

Possibly many of us on this forum were online gamers back then and were completely fooled by this asshat.

Nah, I remember seeing an ESPN thing on him and his family like right after he went to Boston detailing their work with ALS outreach and how one of their sons was diagnosed with Asperger's and the work they did to deal with that. From a fan perspective, he seemed like a decent enough dude until the Rhode Island stuff which in hindsight feels like small fuckin potatoes compared to what he's become in recent years.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 22, 2021

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Who exactly will the pirates field this year? PFC and his 8 friends?

Clint Frazier maybe

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Lmao schilling is such a crybaby, eat poo poo fucko

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Here's my quick and steady rule on the HOF: If you've done something that gets you barred from MLB, you get barred from the HOF. What Pete Rose did got him barred from baseball, so he should be barred from the HOF. MLB didn't ban people for steroids. Even now MLB only bans after three positive tests.

And yes Barry Bonds beat his wife, but unless she doesn't want him to get into the HOF or MLB adopts a better domestic violence policy (and let's be clear THEY SHOULD), it's irrelevant. I'm not fighting that he's a lovely person, but his brand of shittiness doesn't get you banned from baseball.

EDIT: I wrote "negative tests" because I'm in a mood from other things right now.

I used to feel this way and to an extent still do but more and more I'm coming around to the idea that it's 2021 and being an exceptional rear end in a top hat of any flavor shouldn't be handwaved away. Until people like Schilling (or Bonds or whomever fits the narrative) are told gently caress off, we won't be memorializing you because your character absolutely sucks, then it'll never change. Ty Cobb was a hundred fuckin years ago nearly, how the gently caress has this taken so long for people (myself included) to say no, being a despicable piece of poo poo is not okay

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 27, 2021

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1354238547000254472

Simba to the Twins, kinda surprising to me. I thought he'd land in Cincinnati or Philadelphia.

Wish him all the best though, he's a joy to watch if he can stay healthy

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
All that lovely stuff Carlton said came out in an interview 3 months after he was already elected so that's kind of a confusing comparison to make

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I dunno, he was on the ‘07 and ‘13 Sox teams but not the ‘04 one that really has historical significance. Meanwhile as a Cub he was absolutely key to their 2016 run. Not only putting up 5.6 bWAR in the regular season (3rd best of his career) but he had an excellent October, winning NLCS MVP, posting a 2.02 ERA across 5 starts, and racking up 19.3% cWPA.

He was also very good in both 2007 and 2013 for Boston but he didn’t win a series MVP and those championships certainly don’t mean as much to Boston as 2004.

While all of this is true, Jon Lester was the first person to show Re2pect to Derek Jeter and he did it by tipping a Red Sox hat so

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
After months and months of trade rumors they end up paying St. Louis 50mil to take him, jesus

I wanna see what happens with Story now

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Here's a Mike Petriello piece on Arenado and The Coors Effect from a few months back that seems a bit more relevant tonight

https://www.mlb.com/rockies/news/nolan-arenado-coors-field-effect-analysis

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/Shapalicious/status/1179090028678402048

Lmao woops

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
If you're looking for a team that will never win poo poo, like the Rockies, but also would never trade away their best player let alone pay a team 50 million dollars to take him, unlike the Rockies, then the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are right there just waiting for you.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Fire him Arte

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Details on the Alex Cobb trade. The prospect the Angels are sending doesn't seem that great but then, neither is Alex Cobb.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1356311223156043779

Yeah Jones is kind of whatever. He was drafted forever ago and hasn't really made any strides towards making the roster.

My expectations for Alex Cobb aren't exactly high but the Angels do have a good IF behind him even with the loss of Simmons and getting Dylan Bundy away from Baltimore seems to have worked out. As is the case with any pitcher the Angels acquire, all he really needs to do is eat innings.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Well I guess that's a better statement than the one they released immediately yesterday expressing concern that his actions go against the Organization Values*

*Values such as hooking your pitchers up with drugs on the road

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1356733635450327040?s=20

I think it's safe to say the Rays won that trade now

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Bob tweet

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1357485638484910084?s=20

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
It really is remarkable how consistently wrong he is about a ton of poo poo

e: that's not to say he won't ultimately be 'right' about Bauer to the Mets but goddamn

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/1357451410636476420?s=20

Dex is cool and all and I'll root for him but he's also old and can't pitch so

E: Depending on how much of his salary the Cardinals pay, I don't hate it though. The Angels outfield is basically Trout and uh yeah. Upton is cooked and Adell obviously needs more time

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 5, 2021