Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
reach out and touch book
This poll is closed.
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 5 20.83%
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson 3 12.50%
A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear 11 45.83%
Harm's Way by Colin Greenland 2 8.33%
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle 3 12.50%
Total: 20 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Next month is going to be stressful so I tried to pick some comfort options this round.

As always, please only vote if you're considering participating. You should be able to vote for more than one option.

1) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

quote:

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. . . "

"Every novelist since has ground their teeth in envy: here is all the enchantment of a child’s story, with an irresistible melancholy hung about it. The narrator is on a winding path alone, and her way is barred. The dreamer is the second Mrs de Winter (we never know her name), and Manderley has been to her both a heaven and a hell.

Employed as companion to the wealthy vulgarian Mrs van Hopper, she meets Maxim de Winter in a Monte Carlo hotel. He owns the famous Manderley, and is perfectly calibrated to the needs of an ardent virgin: he is sardonic, sophisticated, occasionally morose; he is Mr Rochester at the wheel of a motor car. Reader, she marries him. In due course she is conveyed to Manderley . . . .

Manderley is “a thing of grace and beauty, exquisite and faultless” – but it is haunted by the spectre of Rebecca, the first Mrs de Winter, who drowned out in the bay. Her body may be rotting in the family crypt, but her spirit is vital and seductive: she lives in the inscription on the flyleaf of a book, the perfectly chosen drapes and ornaments, the evening gowns still hanging in her closet. Rebecca, it seems, was beautiful but boyish, brave but gracious, an attentive hostess and a loving wife. How can the second Mrs de Winter, with her thin hair and dispiriting clothes, compete?

There is a new film version of this Netflix coming out currently, so it's timely.

2) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

quote:

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail is a 1998 autobiographical book by travel writer Bill Bryson, describing his attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail with his friend "Stephen Katz". The book is written in a humorous style, interspersed with more serious discussions of matters relating to the trail's history, and the surrounding sociology, ecology, trees, plants, animals and people.

3) A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear

https://twitter.com/CCriadoPerez/status/1322201136011595776?s=20

4) Harm's Way by Colin Greenland

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just finished a book I can't recommend highly enough; it may turn into my next "Bridge of Birds"-style universal recommendation. Harm's Way by Colin Greenland. One of the most charming female-viewpoint fantasy/sf picaresques I can remember ever reading. Setting is vaguely steampunk, basically wooden ships in outer space. All the characters are empathetic, even the villains; the final villain is masterfully horrible at the same time. Just a great book all around and one I'm amazed I hadn't heard of before.

Apparently Colin Greenland is Susannah Clarke's "life partner", which surprises me not at all.

5) the Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

quote:

The Last Unicorn is a fantasy novel by American author Peter S. Beagle and published in 1968, by Viking Press in the U.S. and The Bodley Head in the U.K. It follows the tale of a unicorn, who believes she is the last of her kind in the world and undertakes a quest to discover what has happened to the others.[1] It has sold more than five million copies worldwide since its original publication, and has been translated into at least twenty languages (prior to the 2007 edition). In 1987, Locus ranked The Last Unicorn number five among the 33 "All-Time Best Fantasy Novels", based on a poll of subscribers.[3] The 1998 rendition of the poll ranked The Last Unicorn number 18.[4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Forecast for November reads BEARS

I'll et a thread up tomorrer.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Forecast for November reads BEARS

I'll et a thread up tomorrer.

Gives me an opportunity to repost a classic