Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I’ll not tolerate this disrespect of the Mighty Gators of Florida

THEM GATORS AINT GET NO GAT DANG RESPECT PAWL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Florida's running behind having played only four games, but that defense is taking some jive too

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
the only joy i can muster out of this miserable rear end season is the ooc team that beat us is actually good, go chanticleers, go rock-a-doodles

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It kind of feels like we could start the playoff next week and not miss much. There’s Alabama, there’s Clemson, there’s Ohio State; number four isn’t really going to matter.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LSU saved up all of their good for one perfect season and it was completely worth it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

It kind of feels like we could start the playoff next week and not miss much. There’s Alabama, there’s Clemson, there’s Ohio State; number four isn’t really going to matter.

Thundering Herd, 2020 National Champions

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

PostNouveau posted:

Thundering Herd, 2020 National Champions

please no,

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

LSU saved up all of their good for one perfect season and it was completely worth it.

Yeah I’d be fine if UF put together like the best team of all time for one year. That was one hell of a ride for y’all last year. Unbelievable team.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Cincy is actually going to have a reasonable shot at the playoffs if they go undefeated; especially if no one comes out of the abbreviated Pac-12
season undefeated.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Gimme that Indiana, Costal Carolina, Marshall, Cincinnati playoffs.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ole Miss player badly injured during practice, sounds terrible

[quote="https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-te-airlifted-to-hospital-with-serious-injury/
via http://cbssportsapp.com"]
During Monday’s practice, an Ole Miss player suffered a serious injury. According to Rebels head coach Lane Kiffin, freshman tight end Damarcus Thomas was injured, and a helicopter was on its way to take him to the hospital for medical attention.

Per Rebels247’s David Johnson, Kiffin noted that Thomas hadn’t moved since suffering the injury. At the time, the team was still waiting on a helicopter to arrive so that he could be taken to a hospital.
[/quote]
Jesus christ

quote:

Johnson also tweeted that Thomas' family was notified of his injury immediately. Kiffin also told the media that he called the mother of his own son to tell her that he no longer cares whether their son ever plays football again after watching what just happened to Thomas.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:stare: Good lord

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hooo that’s grim :(

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
That last part is really terrifying, my imagination is going to some loving dark places coming up with what would be bad enough for a football coach to be cool with his kid never playing again.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I am thinking probably a spinal injury from leading with the crown, compressing g the neck and turning you into a paraplegic

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am thinking probably a spinal injury from leading with the crown, compressing g the neck and turning you into a paraplegic

I’d assume so, but it’s not like a dude who has lived and breathed football for like 40 years would be un-prepared for that possibility. It’s happened before, on television.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Axial loading is a Chinese hoax

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d assume so, but it’s not like a dude who has lived and breathed football for like 40 years would be un-prepared for that possibility. It’s happened before, on television.

Yeah, but there’s a difference between having seen it and having it happen to someone you’re personally responsible for.

If the lack of movement is meaningful, I don’t know what else it would be outside of a visibly crushed skull/face.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Depending on how high and severe the spinal injury is it may have been a legitimate race to ventilate and/or resuscitate him with neurogenic shock and respiratory arrest.

That is much more jarring to witness than even a “simple” spinal injury.

For reference, every high cervical injury I have treated has been dead immediately or in fairly short order.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The player is Demarcus Thomas and this is the latest I've seen.

https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/football/damarcus-thomas-seriously-injured-in-ole-miss-practice-airlifted-to-hospital

quote:

"He was hit and hasn't moved since," Kiffin said. "The helicopter is on its way now. I have to sit here and answer questions and do my job, but right now nothing seems very important. He got hit and never moved and hasn't had any feeling in his entire body."

Shortly thereafter, Kiffin updated reporters, saying Thomas did start to regain feeling and movement as he was entering the helicopter to leave for the hospital. Kiffin and his staff have already informed the Thomas family. But the extent of Thomas's injury is still unknown.

So not quite as grim, but doesn't necessarily rule out a gnarly spinal injury.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

poo poo any type of feeling at all this early is a least a positive

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

poo poo any type of feeling at all this early is a least a positive

Yeah still scary but better than the initial ominous reports suggested.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This sounds good
https://twitter.com/OleMissFB/status/1323378395011407877

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thank gently caress. Sounded really ominous initially.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Whew

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
No money for the players! And don't hold out hope for a gift card; that would be a violation. :allears:

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
https://twitter.com/OleMissFB/status/1323419067521265664?s=20

So Damarcus is apparently out of the hospital? This story is kinda confusing at this point. How do we go from "my kid doesn't have to play football for I have seen it's true horrors" to being released from the hospital in under 12 hours.

All that being said it's awesome that Damarcus is doing so well, and I hope that whatever happens with his football career Ole Miss does the right thing and honors his scholarship.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That sounds like fantastic news. Hope he's actually okay and makes a full recovery and finds a way to get paid without playing football.

I've been wondering about how scholarships work in cases like this for a while- do kids who get cut from a team due to lack of football proficiency keep their scholarships?

Edit: I looked it up and apparently schools are outright prohibited from awarding multi-year athletic scholarships, just lmao

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 3, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

Edit: I looked it up and apparently schools are outright prohibited from awarding multi-year athletic scholarships, just lmao
You might've read that wrong, schools have been allowed to offer four-year scholarships since 2012 and at some point after that the P5 schools agreed not to cancel anyone's multi-year scholarship for on-field performance (idk how strictly that's enforced). They can also continue scholarships for guys whose careers are ended with injuries without counting them against the scholarship limits (at the wealthiest programs this can actually be used to politely wash out guys who just aren't performing.)

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Fifty Three posted:

That sounds like fantastic news. Hope he's actually okay and makes a full recovery and finds a way to get paid without playing football.

I've been wondering about how scholarships work in cases like this for a while- do kids who get cut from a team due to lack of football proficiency keep their scholarships?

You will hear feel-good stories about schools honoring scholarships for players who get hurt or decided football isn't for them anyway, but I suspect that most of these kids lose their scholarships.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

There is a mechanism that the NCAA has to medically disqualify yourself from football and still have your scholarship honored by the school without it also counting against the school's numbers. It happens from time to time

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

You might've read that wrong, schools have been allowed to offer four-year scholarships since 2012 and at some point after that the P5 schools agreed not to cancel anyone's multi-year scholarship for on-field performance (idk how strictly that's enforced). They can also continue scholarships for guys whose careers are ended with injuries without counting them against the scholarship limits (at the wealthiest programs this can actually be used to politely wash out guys who just aren't performing.)

Yeah, afaik big ten schools have offered 4 year scholarships for several years.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1323670277566464002

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Rank SDSU cowards

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a neat cape posted:

Rank SDSU cowards

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want Northwestern to back into another B1G West title due to Covid

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hell, they might get in the old fashioned way

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
No posts about the Wisconsin-Purdue game being cancelled?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30250637/wisconsin-purdue-due-coronavirus-cases

Wisconsin announced Tuesday that its football game this weekend against Purdue has been canceled and team activities remain paused indefinitely because of the number of positive coronavirus cases within the program.

The Badgers originally canceled the game against Nebraska on Oct. 31, after the program had 12 positive tests, including starting quarterback Graham Mertz and head coach Paul Chryst. That number of positive cases then rose to 22, made up of 12 players and 10 staff members.

So what was the rule again? You had to play at least 6 games in the season to be eligible for what? The Big 10 title game or something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

soggybagel posted:

No posts about the Wisconsin-Purdue game being cancelled?

Five posts above you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Proteus Jones posted:

Five posts above you

Thats what I get for opening this thread but not refreshing the tab and having it sit for 3 hours.