Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
It would be fitting after Wisconsin managed to win the big ten championship after finishing third in their division because of free tattoos and enabling monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It would be fitting after Wisconsin managed to win the big ten championship after finishing third in their division because of free tattoos and enabling monsters.

Was there another tattoo-gate I forgot about?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

downout posted:

Was there another tattoo-gate I forgot about?

Nope, same one at Ohio State

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh neat, all 3 Directional Michigan Universities are playing tonight... figured it'd be a fun parlay.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Scarf posted:

Oh neat, all 3 Directional Michigan Universities are playing tonight... figured it'd be a fun parlay.

The entire conference is playing today. If I remember correctly they're gonna kinda keep this schedule up for a week or two.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Go Hokies shameful they didn't wear all orange opposite Louisville all black but whatever I'll take the W. In road unis I generally enjoy v much, but how do you pass up that opportunity?

Vols didn't embarrass themselves in the bye week, nice.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Rectal Placenta posted:

Nope, same one at Ohio State

Oh I just misread it.

anyways, who is ready for some MACTION?!!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Made a MACtion gdt for all your sick needs

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946759

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/nypostsports/status/1324179305912508416?s=21

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’m on the same soundstage as that show and this is me finding out. Hmmm

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

soggybagel posted:

I’m on the same soundstage as that show and this is me finding out. Hmmm

Patient Zero detected.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh hey I found this thread

Jamie Pollard is trash

https://twitter.com/AndyWittry/status/1324335822901039109?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

oh wow that’s loving awful! cool!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dunno whether to post this here or the AFC South thread, but Pat McAfee is repping Coastal gear on his YouTube show, because Pat McAfee loving rules

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I hate my AD. If all he did was stuck to managing the sports, hiring coaches, etc., he would be fine. Everything else he sucks at, and I hate him.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hazo posted:

Dunno whether to post this here or the AFC South thread, but Pat McAfee is repping Coastal gear on his YouTube show, because Pat McAfee loving rules

The cutoff jean shorts are very apropos of Conway/Myrtle Beach SC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I hate my AD. If all he did was stuck to managing the sports, hiring coaches, etc., he would be fine. Everything else he sucks at, and I hate him.

Actually he's a genius because he finally got the football hire right on his third try and the stadium now looks like it belongs to a mid level texas high school instead of a texas high school facing steep budget cuts

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Paul Rhoads' tenure at Iowa State seemed above-average measured against the program's history.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Chizik was seen as a good hire, but turned out awful. He also had terrible assistants.

Rhoads I think was a good hire, especially because it was in reaction to Chizik. It worked ok for a little while, and I think Pollard made the right call firing when he did.

Campbell looks to be a really good hire, but even Campbell has not really transformed ISU yet. They all struggle against Iowa State's long history of ineptitude.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The Pac-10 is Back

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1324442667615313920

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chizik was seen as a good hire, but turned out awful. He also had terrible assistants.

Rhoads I think was a good hire, especially because it was in reaction to Chizik. It worked ok for a little while, and I think Pollard made the right call firing when he did.

Campbell looks to be a really good hire, but even Campbell has not really transformed ISU yet. They all struggle against Iowa State's long history of ineptitude.

Yeah I don't think Rhoads got a raw deal or anything, but it would be unfair to call him a bad hire when he kept the program a great deal above its floor most of his time there. (well, for those first four years anyway)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He finished above .500 once in seven years, in his first year, with Chizik's recruits and getting to play against a super lovely Big 12 North. His career winning percentage is worse than the school's all time winning percentage. He was like three games better than Jim Walden, who once went 0-10-1. He stunk.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 5, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Off to a great start

Does PAC have a games played minimum for it's CG?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

He finished above .500 once in seven years, in his first year, with Chizik's recruits and getting to play against a super lovely Big 12 North. His career winning percentage is worse than the school's all time winning percentage. He was like three games better than Jim Walden, who once went 0-10-1. He stunk.

Well two of those years ISU went 6-7 with the last loss being in the bowl game. Getting to a bowl game has generally been what ISU strived for, so I don't really discount Rhoads for that. I double checked his record, and I'd say Pollard probably gave him one too many years. He should have been let go after going 2-10 in 2014. I think Rhoads was a decent gameday coach, but he couldn't recruit, which showed in the rapid decline once all of Chizik's recruits were gone, and how Campbell's first year was a bust too. I mean he took Chizik's 2-10 team and turned it into a 7-6 team the next year. That has to mostly come from good coaching.

Walden also coached for 8 years vs. Rhoads's 7, so it's not a total apt comparison.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MV, I say this sincerely and with no snark intended, I love that the one piece of unrestrained homerism you allow yourself is making GBS threads on Iowa State at every opportunity.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Well two of those years ISU went 6-7 with the last loss being in the bowl game. Getting to a bowl game has generally been what ISU strived for, so I don't really discount Rhoads for that. I double checked his record, and I'd say Pollard probably gave him one too many years. He should have been let go after going 2-10 in 2014. I think Rhoads was a decent gameday coach, but he couldn't recruit, which showed in the rapid decline once all of Chizik's recruits were gone, and how Campbell's first year was a bust too. I mean he took Chizik's 2-10 team and turned it into a 7-6 team the next year. That has to mostly come from good coaching.

Walden also coached for 8 years vs. Rhoads's 7, so it's not a total apt comparison.

Seasons were shorter back then so if you count bowls he only coached one more game at ISU than Rhoads did.

Recruiting is part of coaching. If you're so bad at it that the other stuff doesn't matter then you're still a bad head coach. I'm also not sure that barely sneaking into the liberty bowl to lose a rematch with tulsa is really a big accomplishment even for ISU.

General Dog posted:

MV, I say this sincerely and with no snark intended, I love that the one piece of unrestrained homerism you allow yourself is making GBS threads on Iowa State at every opportunity.

I mean if anything I am apparently holding them to too high of a standard here by suggesting that they can do better than a winning percentage below .400.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 5, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

Seasons were shorter back then so if you count bowls he only coached one more game at ISU than Rhoads did.

Recruiting is part of coaching. If you're so bad at it that the other stuff doesn't matter then you're still a bad head coach. I'm also not sure that barely sneaking into the liberty bowl to lose a rematch with tulsa is really a big accomplishment even for ISU.

I mean if anything I am apparently holding them to too high of a standard here by suggesting that they can do better than a winning percentage below .400.

ISU coaches in the last 30 years with a lifetime winning % above .400:

Matt Campbell, and he's at .526.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean again Rhoads was below their extremely low historic winning percentage. He's not the worst coach they have ever had but doesn't seem like a hire you should be counting as a point in the AD's favor.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1324536271788716033

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lmao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Didn’t Tubberville beat Bama like 5 years in a row?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He beat up on Fran and Mike Shula, then got fired a couple of years into Saban.

I didn't know this until looking it up but he never had a team ranked at the end of the season after Auburn.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Six wins in a row. He feasted on Alabama during its years of scholarship reductions and coaching hell. Plus his teams were usually pretty decent.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

He beat up on Fran and Mike Shula, then got fired a couple of years into Saban.

I didn't know this until looking it up but he never had a team ranked at the end of the season after Auburn.

That can’t possibly be true, he went undefeated in 2004

Edit: oh, after he left Auburn. Yeah his Tech teams were underwhelming and Cincy was a disaster

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
After he left Auburn if I worded that oddly. None of the Tech or Cinci teams in other words.

e: yeah that.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 6, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Beat Bama six times in a row, '02-'07, including Saban's Year Zero, then got clobbered 36-0 IIRC on his way out the door in '08 after the Tony Franklin Experience. Had to explain this a few times to people who don't know much about football but wanted to know cause of the election and settled on: on balance, you can't say he wasn't successful at Auburn but given factors like the general nature of the program as the unknowable imp of college football, the Arkansas/Jimmy Sexton bullshit and his post-Auburn record unimpeachably validating the decision to part ways* that national observers who weren't paying enough attention considered a little hasty, there is zero love lost.

* fired? kinda -- termed a resignation but kept his buyout; supposedly was given the opportunity to keep his job if he would have cleaned house on the offensive staff that had been pretty stagnant since like '02 when Jimbo Fisher departed as OC. Was long rumored that he was set on keeping an underperforming staff together until their Alabama state pensions were fully vested. That staff included Steve Ensminger and Eddie Gran.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This one made me lol irl
https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1324565026070581248?s=20

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Honestly twitter getting together to poo poo all over Cap’n Quitter would be way funnier if it weren’t because he’s gonna be a US loving Senator

Although I’m sure he’ll leave after 4 years to take a position in the UK Parliament after he goes 4-8 in budget committee meetings

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Tom Herman to the US Senate in 2025 confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dirty shrimp money posted:

Tom Herman to the US Senate in 2025 confirmed

Tom kisses every voter before they go into the voter booth