Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh hey I found this thread

Jamie Pollard is trash

https://twitter.com/AndyWittry/status/1324335822901039109?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I hate my AD. If all he did was stuck to managing the sports, hiring coaches, etc., he would be fine. Everything else he sucks at, and I hate him.

Actually he's a genius because he finally got the football hire right on his third try and the stadium now looks like it belongs to a mid level texas high school instead of a texas high school facing steep budget cuts

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He finished above .500 once in seven years, in his first year, with Chizik's recruits and getting to play against a super lovely Big 12 North. His career winning percentage is worse than the school's all time winning percentage. He was like three games better than Jim Walden, who once went 0-10-1. He stunk.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 5, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well two of those years ISU went 6-7 with the last loss being in the bowl game. Getting to a bowl game has generally been what ISU strived for, so I don't really discount Rhoads for that. I double checked his record, and I'd say Pollard probably gave him one too many years. He should have been let go after going 2-10 in 2014. I think Rhoads was a decent gameday coach, but he couldn't recruit, which showed in the rapid decline once all of Chizik's recruits were gone, and how Campbell's first year was a bust too. I mean he took Chizik's 2-10 team and turned it into a 7-6 team the next year. That has to mostly come from good coaching.

Walden also coached for 8 years vs. Rhoads's 7, so it's not a total apt comparison.

Seasons were shorter back then so if you count bowls he only coached one more game at ISU than Rhoads did.

Recruiting is part of coaching. If you're so bad at it that the other stuff doesn't matter then you're still a bad head coach. I'm also not sure that barely sneaking into the liberty bowl to lose a rematch with tulsa is really a big accomplishment even for ISU.

General Dog posted:

MV, I say this sincerely and with no snark intended, I love that the one piece of unrestrained homerism you allow yourself is making GBS threads on Iowa State at every opportunity.

I mean if anything I am apparently holding them to too high of a standard here by suggesting that they can do better than a winning percentage below .400.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 5, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean again Rhoads was below their extremely low historic winning percentage. He's not the worst coach they have ever had but doesn't seem like a hire you should be counting as a point in the AD's favor.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/1325126398411829253?s=19

1) lmao gently caress this jerkass

2) if Wisconsin wants to pay you head coach money to be Barry Alvarez's assistant and win 10 games every year just shut the gently caress up and run the ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Elephanthead posted:

Have you seen how bad those programs are? Would have been better off not playing.

I think you will find that Wisconsin is undefeated