Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iowa State and KSU tied atop the Big 12 for now thanks to OSU playing one less game. Going to be a mess at the top towards the end of the season I expect.

ISU blew out Kansas, but it took them a while to put them completely away. End of the schedule is brutal with KSU, Texas, and WVU to close it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

I think the possibility is there that an undefeated Cincy actually does get into the playoff if a) the Big 12 fails to produce a team with fewer than 2 losses and b) the Big Ten and/or PAC-12 are unable to produce a team with more than 5 wins

Ohio State is probably running the table and into the playoff. I don’t know how any PAC-12 team gets in with only 7 games played. Every other conference would have to have lots of 2 loss teams.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, I guess I figure the Big 10 will adjust their protocols if it looks like it’s going to cost them a spot in the playoffs, but yea it is something to watch for.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I hate my AD. If all he did was stuck to managing the sports, hiring coaches, etc., he would be fine. Everything else he sucks at, and I hate him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Chizik was seen as a good hire, but turned out awful. He also had terrible assistants.

Rhoads I think was a good hire, especially because it was in reaction to Chizik. It worked ok for a little while, and I think Pollard made the right call firing when he did.

Campbell looks to be a really good hire, but even Campbell has not really transformed ISU yet. They all struggle against Iowa State's long history of ineptitude.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

He finished above .500 once in seven years, in his first year, with Chizik's recruits and getting to play against a super lovely Big 12 North. His career winning percentage is worse than the school's all time winning percentage. He was like three games better than Jim Walden, who once went 0-10-1. He stunk.

Well two of those years ISU went 6-7 with the last loss being in the bowl game. Getting to a bowl game has generally been what ISU strived for, so I don't really discount Rhoads for that. I double checked his record, and I'd say Pollard probably gave him one too many years. He should have been let go after going 2-10 in 2014. I think Rhoads was a decent gameday coach, but he couldn't recruit, which showed in the rapid decline once all of Chizik's recruits were gone, and how Campbell's first year was a bust too. I mean he took Chizik's 2-10 team and turned it into a 7-6 team the next year. That has to mostly come from good coaching.

Walden also coached for 8 years vs. Rhoads's 7, so it's not a total apt comparison.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

Seasons were shorter back then so if you count bowls he only coached one more game at ISU than Rhoads did.

Recruiting is part of coaching. If you're so bad at it that the other stuff doesn't matter then you're still a bad head coach. I'm also not sure that barely sneaking into the liberty bowl to lose a rematch with tulsa is really a big accomplishment even for ISU.

I mean if anything I am apparently holding them to too high of a standard here by suggesting that they can do better than a winning percentage below .400.

ISU coaches in the last 30 years with a lifetime winning % above .400:

Matt Campbell, and he's at .526.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Nebraska definitely wished on a monkey’s paw for this season to happen.