Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
Are you vegan? If not, why? loving seriously, why? The animal agriculture industry is pure evil.

80 BILLION land animals PER YEAR are MURDERED, after spending traumatic lives in fear, pain, and sadness. If you use animal products, you approve and are complicit. IT IS SO EASY TO NOT USE ANIMAL PRODUCTS. You buy plants and if you have money purchase vegan alternatives which are super loving good. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

poo poo post

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
This is not a left or right wing issue, but, if you are left-wing: you are not egalitarian; if you are right-wing: you are loving weak, if not vegan.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
to be a little less confrontational than the op, you can do a few things to make yourself a better person without going 100% vegan:

1. give up beef - holy poo poo beef is so bad for the planet, why are you eating this, at the very least try to eat less of it

2. eat less pork - pigs are as smart as dolphins and dogs, try to eat them sparingly

3. take one day off from meat a week - at the very least do one day without it, what's the worst that could happen

4. if you have the money, buy from ethical producers - i understand if you don't have money for this option, but i know for a fact there are a number of 6 figgie computer touchers in cspam, you can afford to do this

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

veganism is incompatible with eating the rich

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I do like seafood though

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Whatcha gonna do about the consumption of filter feeders like molluscs or herrings?

Or about the whole B12 problem which we do have an answer for assuming global cooperation. We won't have that cooperation.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
No matter what, you're murdering more land animals and destroying more natural land for farming if you don't eat the filter feeders. It's possible to overfish them yes, but when not overfished they recapture nutrients and eating them is efficient.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

veganism is incompatible with eating the rich
the only good argument against veganism imo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

endlessmonotony posted:

Whatcha gonna do about the consumption of filter feeders like molluscs or herrings?

Or about the whole B12 problem which we do have an answer for assuming global cooperation. We won't have that cooperation.

Hope that they don't go extinct as the acidifying ocean dissolves their shells and spreading anoxic zones make it impossible to get enough odygen

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If i'm forced to live in hellworld no one will ever take my delicious meat from me, even if I have to raise it myself just like my delicious garden vegetables

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oolb posted:

if you have money

sad trombone noise

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
serious posting

Ive been vegetarian for years now. I eat eggs and cheese. is there a humane way for us to make milk/cheese? I believe we can have ethical eggs where the chickens are basically really dumb pets, but what about milk production at scale?

I guess we could just supplement b12 but eggs/yogurt/cheese make long term vegetarian nutrition way easier for me

I dont live on cheese, we eat mostly roasted or pressure cooked root vegetables

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I've been vegan since I was 19 after watching a hosed up documentary. I'll never go back.

gently caress all carnists

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Twerk from Home posted:

serious posting

I’ve been vegetarian for years now. I eat eggs and cheese. is there a humane way for us to make milk/cheese? I believe we can have ethical eggs where the chickens are basically really dumb pets, but what about milk production at scale?

I guess we could just supplement b12 but eggs/yogurt/cheese make long term vegetarian nutrition way easier for me

I don’t live on cheese, we eat mostly roasted or pressure cooked root vegetables

Dairy products are pretty much irredeemable, but if you're going to do it look for ethical products. Eggs are one thing that really doesn't bother me as long as they're not caged/penned in, in the same way that honey doesn't bother me. I don't eat either,but I don't judge people who do

If you eat wild caught predator fish like tuna, well then you're a piece of poo poo

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

you're right, gently caress it.

Twerk from Home posted:

serious posting

Ive been vegetarian for years now. I eat eggs and cheese. is there a humane way for us to make milk/cheese? I believe we can have ethical eggs where the chickens are basically really dumb pets, but what about milk production at scale?

I dont live on cheese, we eat mostly roasted or pressure cooked root vegetables

This is about a billion times better than eating meat and dairy every day for every meal, but its still not good. I don't think there is a way to eat dairy ethically.

Even if your farm was perfect, you would still be normalizing the consumption of dairy, which will inevitably produce the current situation. IMO eating any animal products should be very taboo.

If you're buying dairy, its impossible. I was a vegetarian for a long time, but I've come to realize that dairy is in some ways worse than meat. Not only are the animals are still slaughtered when they can no longer produce, you are treating their sexual reproductive system like a machine, so their lives are longer and more painful.

Zeno-25 posted:

If i'm forced to live in hellworld no one will ever take my delicious meat from me, even if I have to raise it myself just like my delicious garden vegetables

If you were to make biblical hell incarnate, it would pretty much look like a factory farm. Saying lol I live in hellworld is like quoting harry potter or some poo poo. Find pleasure that doesn't involve torturing innocents or get into BDSM.

Oolb has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Nov 1, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Oolb posted:

you're right, gently caress it.

Yup, about what I assumed.

There's also a lot of medical processes using animal byproducts we're not close to synthesizing at scale.

Avoiding factory-farmed meat is one thing, but society going vegan would have a lot of unwanted consequences. Unless you prioritize animal life at or above human life, anyway.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oolb posted:

If you were to make biblical hell incarnate, it would pretty much look like a factory farm. Saying lol I live in hellworld is like quoting harry potter or some poo poo. Find pleasure that doesn't involve torturing innocents or get into BDSM.

So this is a bit, right? You're doing the stereotypical dickhead vegan loudmouth thing to own PETA or something

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Crane Fist posted:

So this is a bit, right? You're doing the stereotypical dickhead vegan loudmouth thing to own PETA or something

That's almost all vegans though.

Once you put insects onto the "do not kill" list you end up in a situation where you're either murdering wild animals and converting their habitats on a scale that's bad even compared to now, or just killing a whole lot of humans.

Herrings are one of the go-to questions as well because they're clearly fish, and yet they're filter feeders and we have trouble converting brackish water to any kind of farming and otherwise we're not recollecting the nutrients going in without entirely ruining natural ecosystems. Which causes algal blooms and oxygen depletion if unaddressed.

The funnier question is bullshit, because it turns out we need both the perennial plants and the bullshit for soil maintenance. We could replace the cows with fermentation vats, but that would be a massive undertaking very vulnerable to Great Leaping our way to a massive famine. So we'd be risking a massive amount of wildlife to avoid that specific animal byproduct.

No moral high ground available, I'm afraid. And for the people who are just uncomfortable with hurting animals, they're still hurting animals, because it turns out all that food needed to be grown and we have seven billion hungry mouths and nowhere near the planet to feed them without highly efficient farming.

I know, I know, vertical farming, replace all the soil with water, genetically engineer better plants for that, fuel it all using solar concentration power. I'm not against that infrastructure project. It'll take decades at the very least.

Reducing meat consumption, introducing easy nutritionally complete replacement for meat-containing products, fighting against food waste (especially at the retailer spot) - all good ideas that can be done now.

Veganism? Eh. Yes, lesser environmental impact than most people today. But not optimal for animal life. Life's gross and cruel like that sometimes. All part of the cycle.

I mean, I just got a bee in my bonnet from one too many "then you should die" when I reveal I depend on animal-sourced medical treatments to stay alive, but I've put in my work.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And just to be clear: I can't loving wait for when we can print replacement organs and all the treatments I need off a protein printer of some sort.

My ideal future doesn't involve any accelerated animal death to sustain us, because it turns out you can theoretically do everything I need - gently caress, everything I want - with the right genetic engineering. But we're not there yet, and if we ignore the idea doesn't work right now people will take matters into their own hands and our birds are going the way of the dodo.

Also sore about the loving anti-fur lunatics ruining nature by "setting free" the fur animals, forcing me to be the one who got the blood on my feet in order to keep a lot of hungry, diseased animals from harming the nature I want to protect.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've posted this infographic in the climate change thread too, but it's important. We've pushed out nature almost completely and replaced it with factory farming.

I've been vegan for two years. Everyone in the Global North should avoid animal products as much as practically possible for themselves. The amount of meat we eat is unsustainable and depends on our exploitation of the Global South. But I support the use of animals in medicine, and Indigenous hunting and fishing, and stopping the spread of invasive species.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah no the reason I get so spicy about this is because I want to conserve nature in its pristine state at least in places.

Feeding a massive number of cows with human-edible food so we can have cheap burgers isn't exactly friendly towards that goal either.

Which is why I'm kinda annoyed at the lack of R&D toward easy and convenient vegetarian alternatives that also enable eating healthy instead of just "all the carbs". Pulled Oats are so good though. Shame about the texture. And about their tendency to really gently caress up the spices in anything ready-made.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

i eat eggs laid by chickens who live full and happy chicken lives on my friend's farm.

i would be happy to be reincarnated as one of her chickens, a superior alternative to being human in the year of our lord 2020

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Crane Fist posted:

um excuse me this is cspam, aggressive dickhead is the fashion. leftists talk so much game about the cool social trends but ultra clutch pearls at animal rights, and its like uh, its an insanely huge moral crisis. and then we get all these...

when its suggested they take action or when people are loving angry. also goddamn at "anti-fur lunatics".

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yeah being vegan is cool and everyone should do it if they are medically and financially able to

Segue
May 23, 2007

Honestly I've been vegan for over a year and a half now and it's really easy if you're not trying to replace non-vegan dishes with meat and dairy alternatives in some sort of frankenfood.

Most Indian and Chinese food is vegan, and you can easily check out Ethiopian, Mexican, Egyptian. It's a really new thing to eat meat every day and a lot of cultures don't eat dairy due to lactose.

For B12 I drink a lot of fortified soy milk since I still love creamy things, and use nutritional yeast for cheesy flavoured things.

It's been a slow transition for environmental reasons and I don't beat myself up if I slip up when out with friends. It's just one of those things like flying all the time that people can't imagine changing but when you do it's really not hard.

Be vegan, it's really easy and people get real loving defensive when called out about their lovely high consumption (environmentally or morally).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Oolb posted:

um excuse me this is cspam, aggressive dickhead is the fashion. leftists talk so much game about the cool social trends but ultra clutch pearls at animal rights, and its like uh, its an insanely huge moral crisis. and then we get all these...

when its suggested they take action or when people are loving angry. also goddamn at "anti-fur lunatics".

That was a real dump of reasons why I think veganism isn't sustainable (well, yet). And a reveal why I take it personally enough to bother listing that many reasons. In order to assert it as a moral crisis you need to be able to prove you have any moral high ground whatever. As it is you behave morally that works only in a world where other people do the unsavory parts. Without showing how it can work for everyone you're not a leftist, you're a sanctimonious liberal.

And yet you don't address the points, merely try to paint me as unreasonable.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I like to eat a hamburger as a little treat sometimes

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
"carnist" is the funniest word tbh

It's good to eat vegan at least once a week if you don't already because you either have to learn how to cook different stuff or you get to just stuff your face with chips and twizzlers all day

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've embraced seitan today, it was good

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KRIJ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
I've been vegan for almost five years now. While I was living in countryside in middle of nowhere in Finland, it was bit harder. The grocery stores didn't have much variety. Eating out was never an option. It was bit better in larger cities. However, last couple of years I could've get all the foodstuff I need from almost any store I go. Being vegan this long means that I've gotten creative with cooking. I make all my food myself and cook a lot. Having enough iron or b12 has never been an actual issue.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Goatson posted:

I've been vegan for almost five years now. While I was living in countryside in middle of nowhere in Finland, it was bit harder. The grocery stores didn't have much variety. Eating out was never an option. It was bit better in larger cities. However, last couple of years I could've get all the foodstuff I need from almost any store I go. Being vegan this long means that I've gotten creative with cooking. I make all my food myself and cook a lot. Having enough iron or b12 has never been an actual issue.

Going vegetarian, it'll never be. Most of the fortifications used to be animal-based but we've come worlds ahead in affordable synthesis - but we're still far away from doing it at a scale sufficient for a world without dairy cows. Of course, I can just eat veriltty every other day and still come up short on nutrients so go me I guess.

But I also live in an area of Finland with a lesser selection and boy going almost-full vegetarian and assembling a balanced diet with the whole "can't really cook anything I don't just put in the oven with minimal prep" restriction is a pain in the rear end. Even when I allow cheese. Eventually just gave up, the vegetarian diet options are dire and they don't come close to eating the double-discounted expired food as far as cost goes.

Also seriously bring on the ready-to-snack bugs already. We're going there anyway might as well get used to it now.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've embraced seitan today, it was good

Hail seitan tho. Seitan's just great.

You don't like gluten? Good, more for me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't believe the human race should be allowed to expand into space so I am doing my part in making this planet unlivable before we gain the ability of interstellar travel. Doing anything else is unethical. Owned.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

The only animal products I still eat are pasture raised eggs(the taste is even night and day compared to caged holy poo poo) and fish. Sorry, I'm not giving up my Sushi and Salmon.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

What about if you raise and kill the animal your self? Take full ownership over the entire process from birth to death? Is that ethical?

[A friend of mine has a farm where they are vegan unless they themselves are raising and killing the animal]

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Puppet Master posted:

What about if you raise and kill the animal your self? Take full ownership over the entire process from birth to death? Is that ethical?

[A friend of mine has a farm where they are vegan unless they themselves are raising and killing the animal]

That's not vegan that's meat-eating with jumping through hoops.

I don't think it's unethical but it's not vegan.

Neither is crushed bugs turned to food that I advocate for, though.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I was a vegetarian for years, and then I went full vegan for some months and developed a calcium deficiency that was bad for my mental health. I have never really understood how to safely supplement calcium. Since then I will eat a little yogurt once a day and fish maybe once every one to two weeks. Would like to be closer to vegan though, especially if replacing one of those two things with eggs, which I agree are more ethical, will give the same nutritional benefits.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I've been vegan for 5 or 6 years now, taking sublingual b12 and eating a bunch of lentils and various greens as dietary staples seems to cover most of the nutritional requirements. I don't even really think about "being vegan" anymore unless I'm stuck at a family gathering with nothing to eat or I'm at work and coworkers all want to eat a bunch of meat. Which hasn't happened since February due to the pandemic!

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

I was a vegetarian for years, and then I went full vegan for some months and developed a calcium deficiency that was bad for my mental health. I have never really understood how to safely supplement calcium. Since then I will eat a little yogurt once a day and fish maybe once every one to two weeks. Would like to be closer to vegan though, especially if replacing one of those two things with eggs, which I agree are more ethical, will give the same nutritional benefits.

And before anyone suggests these, I already was eating shittons of kale, almonds, tofu, hemp seeds, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

And before anyone suggests these, I already was eating shittons of kale, almonds, tofu, hemp seeds, whatever

Veriltty is literally just blood with enough rye flour in it to change the consistency to something tolerable.

I can eat those four times a week and not get enough iron to keep me going.

Humans are just kinda broken a lot.