Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Vegetarian my whole life and vegan last few years, no big deal just do it

Recently getting a yogurt maker really improved my life, now I can make endless amounts of soy yogurt with just a press of a button which is great since in my region soy yogurt (or even real milk yogurt) can't be found in stores.
I use it to make my own fermented cashew spreads too, not as good as the commercial fermented cashew cheeses yet but it's kind of addictive anyway. I'll start with natto production too once I find some soybeans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

veganism is incompatible with eating the rich

it can be a cheat day

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

also I went from boiling seitan to steaming it to make it and the texture is so much better

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

ohrwurm posted:

also I went from boiling seitan to steaming it to make it and the texture is so much better

hell yeah i do the same after some good stretching and folding of course

also next time just boil it without wrapping for a nice surprise it ends up being like ground meat

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

endlessmonotony posted:

Verilätty is literally just blood with enough rye flour in it to change the consistency to something tolerable.

I can eat those four times a week and not get enough iron to keep me going.

Humans are just kinda broken a lot.

Verilätty is gross as hell tho

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

hell yeah i do the same

also next time just throw it in the water without wrapping it for a nice surprise it ends up being like ground meat

That's my go to method for making tacos atm

baw
Nov 5, 2008

anyone know any good vegan blood substitutes, i miss chugging bottles of fresh blood

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

anyone know any good vegan blood substitutes, i miss chugging bottles of fresh blood

Corn syrup with iron filings

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

That's my go to method for making tacos atm

:hfive:

Mayor Dave posted:

Corn syrup with iron filings

:discourse:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mayor Dave posted:

Verilätty is gross as hell tho

I voluntarily went through a colonoscopy so I could stop eating them. I know they're gross as hell.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm going to drink 2 slurries of insect protein for every on you don't

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ohrwurm posted:

is it really necessary to have a double boiler if you want to steam, can't you just get a grate thing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm going to drink 2 slurries of insect protein for every on you don't

I'm in favor of eating insects but don't know what to call that diet

It's clearly not even vegetarian

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Victory Position posted:

is it really necessary to have a double boiler if you want to steam, can't you just get a grate thing

i just use those bamboo ones that are used for dumplings

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, though I don't eat much dairy

"carnist" is not a word lol just say carnivore silly!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
how do you feel about low food chain. this is basically vegetarian but includes sardines, meal worms, crickets, etc. low food chain.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Smythe posted:

how do you feel about low food chain. this is basically vegetarian but includes sardines, meal worms, crickets, etc. low food chain.

dont eat those thinggs

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

have you ever used cricket flour?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Victory Position posted:

have you ever used cricket flour?

i have not but i read its cool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
low food chain is the ultimate meme dietary restriction which makes it very appealing to me, a living meme

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

actionjackson posted:

People who eat meat eat other things aside from meat, except for a small subsect of crazy people

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

A carnist isn't a carnivore though, and carnism is a useful concept in understanding humanity's relationship to animals and the current status quo.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

gay_crimes posted:

A carnist isn't a carnivore though, and carnism is a useful concept in understanding humanity's relationship to animals and the current status quo.

carnist sounds like some waifish 16 year old went to a Goldfinger concert and then decided that there should be a word for people who eat meat that shows it's bad, like racism

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
those who have carnal knowledge of animals

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

carnist sounds like some waifish 16 year old went to a Goldfinger concert and then decided that there should be a word for people who eat meat that shows it's bad, like racism

fellas, is it soy to be vegan?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

People who eat meat eat other things aside from meat, except for a small subsect of crazy people

yep that's my bad, why not just say omnivore?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

those who have carnal knowledge of animals

Ah,

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

baw posted:

i just use those bamboo ones that are used for dumplings

These rule, having one has increased the amount of stuff I steam tremendously. I don't even have a lid, I just use a metal one that's sort of the right size

I am not a vegan but I eat far less meat than I used to and am vegetarian half the week, and almost never eat red meat if I do eat meat

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For whatever reason I've never had the urge for a "meat taste" or whatever after switching over

like the whole "fake meat but it 'bleeds' so you feel like it's real meat" is so bizarre to me

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

yep that's my bad, why not just say omnivore?

Depending on culture, omnivores don't also eat dogs, cats, etc. Carnism is about eating certain animals.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

actionjackson posted:

For whatever reason I've never had the urge for a "meat taste" or whatever after switching over

like the whole "fake meat but it 'bleeds' so you feel like it's real meat" is so bizarre to me

Lab grown meat! I'll quit eating meat once the scientists figure out how to make it taste good

Carnists are morons

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

idgaf about the "bleed" but the meaty mouthfeel is something i'll crave once in a while, luckily there's a place about a 5 minute walk from me that is 100% vegan and they charbroil the patties and it's so good

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I do have a need for savory tastes sometimes but I just add salt to stuff haha

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

adding the secret ingredient: smoke

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

actionjackson posted:

*extremely Epic High Five voice* my friend have you heard of lentils

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

actionjackson posted:

If you're already vegetarian, it's not for you. It's for people who want to eat less meat, like any other faux-meat product, except this is closer to the sensation of eating an actual burger.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

actionjackson posted:

Eat a mushroom

baw
Nov 5, 2008

question for a friend are pubes vegan

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If you're already vegetarian, it's not for you. It's for people who want to eat less meat, like any other faux-meat product, except this is closer to the sensation of eating an actual burger.

I'm vegan but I miss the taste of fried chicken, luckily a place across the street from me has great vegan drumsticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Victory Position posted:

*extremely Epic High Five voice* my friend have you heard of lentils

I add the salt to my lentils that I do in the slow cooker

but only with some lentils, the stores only have the lovely green ones now and I find those need salt. yellow and red not so much.