Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the fake chicken nuggies and paddies are tasty af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

baw posted:

question for a friend are pubes vegan

Cum is technically vegan but not if the person didn't want to cum in some sort of bdsm bondage situation, I was told by a former roommate

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

question for a friend are pubes vegan

Is eating your own placenta vegan?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Trabisnikof posted:

the fake chicken nuggies and paddies are tasty af

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
The Beyond Meat products are insane, even non-vegans love em, somehow. It weirds me out a little though.

When are we going to get Beyond Human?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I add the salt to my lentils that I do in the slow cooker

but only with some lentils, the stores only have the lovely green ones now and I find those need salt. yellow and red not so much.

I buy a bunch of red lentils (masoor dal) and "yellow lentils" (mung dal) from a local Indian grocery place and they own. One of my staples is cooking mung bean egg omelettes, which are surprisingly tasty: https://www.veganricha.com/vegan-omelet-with-mung-bean-egg/
There's also a ton of variety in dishes and recipes possible with the lentils, I've probably cooked 25 different recipes over the past half year in lock down. https://www.veganricha.com/25-easy-lentil-recipes/ my favorite recipe isn't in this list, which is her Bengali red lentil soup (Masoor seddho) recipe. I highly prefer them to the green lentils.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

That's almost all vegans though.

Once you put insects onto the "do not kill" list you end up in a situation where you're either murdering wild animals and converting their habitats on a scale that's bad even compared to now, or just killing a whole lot of humans.

Herrings are one of the go-to questions as well because they're clearly fish, and yet they're filter feeders and we have trouble converting brackish water to any kind of farming and otherwise we're not recollecting the nutrients going in without entirely ruining natural ecosystems. Which causes algal blooms and oxygen depletion if unaddressed.

The funnier question is bullshit, because it turns out we need both the perennial plants and the bullshit for soil maintenance. We could replace the cows with fermentation vats, but that would be a massive undertaking very vulnerable to Great Leaping our way to a massive famine. So we'd be risking a massive amount of wildlife to avoid that specific animal byproduct.

No moral high ground available, I'm afraid. And for the people who are just uncomfortable with hurting animals, they're still hurting animals, because it turns out all that food needed to be grown and we have seven billion hungry mouths and nowhere near the planet to feed them without highly efficient farming.

I know, I know, vertical farming, replace all the soil with water, genetically engineer better plants for that, fuel it all using solar concentration power. I'm not against that infrastructure project. It'll take decades at the very least.

Reducing meat consumption, introducing easy nutritionally complete replacement for meat-containing products, fighting against food waste (especially at the retailer spot) - all good ideas that can be done now.

Veganism? Eh. Yes, lesser environmental impact than most people today. But not optimal for animal life. Life's gross and cruel like that sometimes. All part of the cycle.

I mean, I just got a bee in my bonnet from one too many "then you should die" when I reveal I depend on animal-sourced medical treatments to stay alive, but I've put in my work.

what the gently caress is this nerd poo poo?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

right "boohoo" "i live too deep in the forest of finland" gently caress off other people manage just well there

matti
Mar 31, 2019

try not kill an animal maybe

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
lol you know just as well as I do going without killing animals isn't gonna happen in the forests. What would I wear?

More seriously, other people survive just fine but those people can cook. And walk medium distances. And usually drive.

... I'm not deep enough in the forests that I'd lack access to anything if I could drive and cook.

Also the only time I ended up killing animals even while I lived deeper was when we got goddamn fur animals loose. And then that rear end in a top hat of a farmer (fur farmers are assholes, whodathunk) got the insurance payments and we were back to where we were.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i know you have a real excuse bud

just that text ticked me off the wrong way, whole lot of paragraphs rationalizing taking lives

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

matti posted:

i know you have a real excuse bud

just that text ticked me off the wrong way, whole lot of paragraphs rationalizing taking lives

Then tell me, what's wrong with eating bugs?

I'm not rationalizing taking lives of animals that have the capacity for pain (unless you need to, see also the whole problem with medicine), but that's not even close to what veganism is.

When we group together fish, bugs, birds and mammals we get all sorts of nonsense and that nonsense keeps getting in the way of the very real discussion we need to have about environmental impact of our diets. Repeatedly.

We've just got over the nuclear question getting in the way of reducing the co2 impact of our energy and here we loving go again.

The greens who believe in magic are the biggest obstacle towards real green progress.

... no, wait, that's the dipshits who believe loving peat is green energy. My bad!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
loving doubling down on peat in goddamn 2020 I hate both sides in that debate but one of them is right.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all i know is morningstar vegetarian hot dogs are pretty good and while i'm not a vegetarian let alone vegan i switched to them primarily to get away from the horror that is biting into a nice plump hotdog and getting a disgusting chunk of gristle

matti
Mar 31, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

Then tell me, what's wrong with eating bugs?

the bit where they are alive and then they are not

this poo poo shouldn't be complicated, and i'm wholly the first to own up to my bullshit, just so sick and tired of people making excuses when the principle idea is so dang simple

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
i'm vegan

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

you shouldn't eat animals

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism

vegans should try to trick americans into supporting the downsizing of the meat industry through public policy, I have no idea how you can do that so good luck

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but the consumption of animals would also be unethical under communism.

One effective way to force the meat industry to downsize is by having more people go vegan.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KRIJ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

endlessmonotony posted:

lol you know just as well as I do going without killing animals isn't gonna happen in the forests. What would I wear?

More seriously, other people survive just fine but those people can cook. And walk medium distances. And usually drive.

... I'm not deep enough in the forests that I'd lack access to anything if I could drive and cook.

Also the only time I ended up killing animals even while I lived deeper was when we got goddamn fur animals loose. And then that rear end in a top hat of a farmer (fur farmers are assholes, whodathunk) got the insurance payments and we were back to where we were.

Are you sure you're not confusing veganism with Jainism? While Jains are vegan, not all vegans are Jains. The line between conscious actions you take and the unwarranted consequences of you living your life isn't the topic here. Perhaps you have sometimes accidentally swallowed a bug? It happens. Not the issue here. The issue is, that we, human animals, maintain and support a massive global industry that is built solely on abuse and murder of other animals. We do it knowingly, even if it's not being necessary for our survival (and actually being harmful for our planet), In terms of land and water management it's wasteful and destructive. And this is not taking into the ethical considerations. Sure, the existing nations states could limit this excessive consumption, but as capitalism shows again and again, those who profit are the real power holders and no structural changes get done. No, the responsibility falls on individuals to start the change.

The moment you start eating bugs knowingly, someone somewhere will turn it into an industry. And that industry in turn will need land and water and more food just to feed one you; it's same as with any animal product. It's wasteful.

If your life depends on animal production, its ok. No-one should be denied their survival. However, the rest of us still need to tackle with the system that we created, one meal at a time.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Goatson posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing veganism with Jainism? While Jains are vegan, not all vegans are Jains. The line between conscious actions you take and the unwarranted consequences of you living your life isn't the topic here. Perhaps you have sometimes accidentally swallowed a bug? It happens. Not the issue here. The issue is, that we, human animals, maintain and support a massive global industry that is built solely on abuse and murder of other animals. We do it knowingly, even if it's not being necessary for our survival (and actually being harmful for our planet), In terms of land and water management it's wasteful and destructive. And this is not taking into the ethical considerations. Sure, the existing nations states could limit this excessive consumption, but as capitalism shows again and again, those who profit are the real power holders and no structural changes get done. No, the responsibility falls on individuals to start the change.

The moment you start eating bugs knowingly, someone somewhere will turn it into an industry. And that industry in turn will need land and water and more food just to feed one you; it's same as with any animal product. It's wasteful.

If your life depends on animal production, its ok. No-one should be denied their survival. However, the rest of us still need to tackle with the system that we created, one meal at a time.

You're very confused over multiple subjects here.

Such as what "ethical considerations" means (literally everything you listed is an ethical consideration), the environmental impact of eating (some) insects and filter feeders, how our agricultural cycles work, how well humans absorb nutrition from different sources, the inevitable waste products of producing vegetables and grains, the logistics of feeding this many humans...

Veganism is refusing consumption of animal parts or byproducts. To make it a moral choice, you have to argue that killing any animal is wrong, which I don't agree with, because there's plenty of animals out there that aren't capable of suffering. If you define it just by "life", then plants are very much alive. If you define it by having a negative reaction to injury, again, plants do that too.

If we go by preserving the planet, then it's rather simply not pure veganism and won't be until we're quite a bit further along in genetic engineering, doubly so if you consider animal labor as a problem as well.

I have no moral qualms whatsoever over killing animals too simple to suffer. And won't. Living is killing. If you take it to sustain yourself, something else needed it to live. You've got to draw the line somewhere, and I fundamentally disagree drawing it at just "animals", because that's a category with far too much inside it to be meaningful.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

all i know is morningstar vegetarian hot dogs are pretty good and while i'm not a vegetarian let alone vegan i switched to them primarily to get away from the horror that is biting into a nice plump hotdog and getting a disgusting chunk of gristle

I like the impossible whopper

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.gastropub.net/soho/menu-2/

homry for the full vegan breakfast thursday

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

there's plenty of animals out there that aren't capable of suffering.

Sorry, you're going to have to back up this claim because I wasn't aware that this was something we knew for certain.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KRIJ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

endlessmonotony posted:

You're very confused over multiple subjects here.

Such as what "ethical considerations" means (literally everything you listed is an ethical consideration), the environmental impact of eating (some) insects and filter feeders, how our agricultural cycles work, how well humans absorb nutrition from different sources, the inevitable waste products of producing vegetables and grains, the logistics of feeding this many humans...

Veganism is refusing consumption of animal parts or byproducts. To make it a moral choice, you have to argue that killing any animal is wrong, which I don't agree with, because there's plenty of animals out there that aren't capable of suffering. If you define it just by "life", then plants are very much alive. If you define it by having a negative reaction to injury, again, plants do that too.

If we go by preserving the planet, then it's rather simply not pure veganism and won't be until we're quite a bit further along in genetic engineering, doubly so if you consider animal labor as a problem as well.

I have no moral qualms whatsoever over killing animals too simple to suffer. And won't. Living is killing. If you take it to sustain yourself, something else needed it to live. You've got to draw the line somewhere, and I fundamentally disagree drawing it at just "animals", because that's a category with far too much inside it to be meaningful.

Confused? Maybe not making my point clear. Dunno. What amuses me is that you, a person who is not a vegan, are not going to be a vegan, and probably never will be are more than happy to be in this thread and explain to me, a person who has been a vegan for some time, what it is and isn't.

I mean, sure. Do your thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The moment someone brings some plants show negative response to being harmed into a conversation about veganism is when you know its about to get real stupid

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The moment someone brings some plants show negative response to being harmed into a conversation about veganism is when you know its about to get real stupid

When you hit rocks hard enough they fall apart, so perhaps rocks do not like being hit

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

endlessmonotony posted:

To make it a moral choice, you have to argue that killing any animal is wrong, which I don't agree with, because there's plenty of animals out there that aren't capable of suffering.

there are neurological structures necessary for an organism to feel "emotional" states, and insects possess them

quote:

Furthermore, neural circuits supporting behavioral/electrophysiological states of attentiveness, sleep and decision making appear to have arisen in evolution as early as the invertebrate radiation, being evident in insects and cephalopod mollusks (e.g., octopus)

if you have a bunch of fruit flies in a cage, and start heating half of the cage, the fruit flies will make a decision to move away from the heat

matti
Mar 31, 2019

the bit where they twitch their protrusions (insects, fish, etc) when hurt has somehow missed science since now

but im sure its just some automatic nerve response, gore that being

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Im vegan, havent missed animal products in a long time, I only pass out three or four times a day because of my b12

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
tbqh everyone should supplement b12 since we apparently used to get it from dirt in our water and food and that isn't really possible nowadays because the dirt and water is poison

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

yup, you either supplement B12 or get it from animals you eat who are also being supplemented with B12. Our food chain supply is stupid and hosed

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

baw posted:

anyone know any good vegan blood substitutes, i miss chugging bottles of fresh blood

Explore beet powder, its whay I use in my 'black pudding'

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bot 02 posted:

you shouldn't eat animals

I don't think there's anyway you can 100% avoid eating animals as it's inherent to agriculture.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

miniscule12 posted:

there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism

vegans should try to trick americans into supporting the downsizing of the meat industry through public policy, I have no idea how you can do that so good luck

Ending dairy subsidies and free grazing on public lands would go a long way

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Insects are compatible with veganism, which is good since I don't think there's a processed food on the planet that doesn't contain insect parts in some measure

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Ive been eating a primarily.plant based diet for like a decade but I agree with the guy saying thay we should also eat bugs and shellfish

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

Insects are compatible with veganism, which is good since I don't think there's a processed food on the planet that doesn't contain insect parts in some measure

did you miss the last few posts, insects also can feel pain

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
However i did not at all follow the poo poo about herring and natural environments or whatever, aninal agriculture as currently practice in the overwhelming majoritu of cases is deleterious fir the environment, the workwrs and the communities where the production takes place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Do it ironically posted:

Im vegan, havent missed animal products in a long time, I only pass out three or four times a day because of my b12