Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I've been vegan for 5 or 6 years now, taking sublingual b12 and eating a bunch of lentils and various greens as dietary staples seems to cover most of the nutritional requirements. I don't even really think about "being vegan" anymore unless I'm stuck at a family gathering with nothing to eat or I'm at work and coworkers all want to eat a bunch of meat. Which hasn't happened since February due to the pandemic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, though I don't eat much dairy

"carnist" is not a word lol just say carnivore silly!

A carnist isn't a carnivore though, and carnism is a useful concept in understanding humanity's relationship to animals and the current status quo.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

carnist sounds like some waifish 16 year old went to a Goldfinger concert and then decided that there should be a word for people who eat meat that shows it's bad, like racism

fellas, is it soy to be vegan?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

yep that's my bad, why not just say omnivore?

Depending on culture, omnivores don't also eat dogs, cats, etc. Carnism is about eating certain animals.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I add the salt to my lentils that I do in the slow cooker

but only with some lentils, the stores only have the lovely green ones now and I find those need salt. yellow and red not so much.

I buy a bunch of red lentils (masoor dal) and "yellow lentils" (mung dal) from a local Indian grocery place and they own. One of my staples is cooking mung bean egg omelettes, which are surprisingly tasty: https://www.veganricha.com/vegan-omelet-with-mung-bean-egg/
There's also a ton of variety in dishes and recipes possible with the lentils, I've probably cooked 25 different recipes over the past half year in lock down. https://www.veganricha.com/25-easy-lentil-recipes/ my favorite recipe isn't in this list, which is her Bengali red lentil soup (Masoor seddho) recipe. I highly prefer them to the green lentils.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

yup, you either supplement B12 or get it from animals you eat who are also being supplemented with B12. Our food chain supply is stupid and hosed

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I don't eat meat, but merely existing as a human being requires the killing of animals, even if it's just insects as a result of farming

there's also definitely parts of the world where killing animals is required for survival, like the arctic

I can’t stop all harm, therefore there is no point in reducing harm

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lmao at people that buy their food from the grocery store cooking up hypothetical scenarios that they will never be in to justify factory farming

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

you have to watch out for those evil vegans there’s literally tens of us

I love to bring this up when people in-person set up a strawman vegan to attack. I’ve been vegan for a long time and I’ve met only one other vegan outside of meetups.

Who are they talking about? How many vegans have they met, aside from myself? Did the vegan actually do and say those things, or is it some shared boogeyman inculcation that vegans are awful and insufferable and do and say these things? It’s pretty fun to watch their expression as you deprogram them and they acknowledge the bullshit they’ve built up over time through osmosis. If they double down, I ask them how they seem to meet so many vegans in the wild while I haven’t.

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Nov 13, 2020

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Because I actually take a stand toward protecting the local environment in local politics.

The vegans are the worst loving people. Also a massive hindrance towards those goals. No, a principled moral stand based on arbitrary categories doesn't excuse all sorts of hideous poo poo including no shortage of literal nazi propaganda about "natural" things especially regarding race and overpopulation and disability.

lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:eyepop:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

everyone knows vegans are the biggest source of strife at your local protecting the environment job, where you advocate for insect killing, the most important issue. big vegan puts their thumb on the scales with their incomplete analysis and nazi ideology. mortality means harm reduction is ableist and problematic. if one follows veganism to its logical conclusion, it is a picture of a unsustainably plastic boot, stamping upon the ashes of the environmental movement forever

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

This is why leftist spaces are hostile to vegans. Because vegan arguments are a motte-and-bailey cover to ecofascism.

:thunk:
Most of the hostility in this thread (about two pages worth) are coming from one poster.
also, as a person who is involved in local leftist orgs in a large city, I wouldn’t say there is any hostility at all! It’s primarily been curiosity and accommodation.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

*shrug* I give people a call of "don't call yourself vegan, attracts the fascists" personally, but that's about it.

lmao. you are very dedicated to the bit, or you have brain worms

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i hereby renounce veganism because of fascists and bugs, the two fatal flaws to my analysis on ethical living. i will begin my journey to the truth by eating a McDouble a day, no further questions

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Oolb posted:

also CSPAM: I rape and kill animals three times a day because it kinda makes me cum, no I will not stop I'm literally controlled by the Illuminati.

I have an ailment that requires at least one hundred cow deaths a day. how dare you mock me, you cryptofascist.

P.S. B12

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

re-education is going to take a while though there’s only like 3-4% of us in British Columbia, we will get there namaste

im gay and i only eat insect cheese omelettes, therefore you and the rest of you v*gans are homophobic exclusionaries

edit: im gay

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Nov 14, 2020

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Bot 02 posted:

I'm opposed to the slaughter of billions of beings because I'm a fascist

Bot 02 posted:

My main reason for wanting to minimize the abuse and exploitation of animals (of which humans are a part) is because I hate people with disabilities

:hmmyes:

Can't wait to enforce mandatory lentil consumption in the coming vegan gestapo. Hemp jackboot goosestepping in formation down the street as the carnists get the wall

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

steroids aren't vegan!!!

im pretty sure anabolic steroids are synthesized from plants, furthermore once factory farming is abolished, we will need to repurpose all of the aas like trenbolone acetate that were developed purely for reducing birth to slaughter times down and improved feed efficiency in livestock. I think getting some geared up vegan muscle boys moving impressively heavy things would be a worthwhile repurposing, as very large and muscular bodies are something vegans and non-vegans alike can appreciate, though I may be doing an accidental fascism.