Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yeah being vegan is cool and everyone should do it if they are medically and financially able to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ohrwurm posted:

also I went from boiling seitan to steaming it to make it and the texture is so much better

hell yeah i do the same after some good stretching and folding of course

also next time just boil it without wrapping for a nice surprise it ends up being like ground meat

baw
Nov 5, 2008

anyone know any good vegan blood substitutes, i miss chugging bottles of fresh blood

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

That's my go to method for making tacos atm

:hfive:

Mayor Dave posted:

Corn syrup with iron filings

:discourse:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Victory Position posted:

is it really necessary to have a double boiler if you want to steam, can't you just get a grate thing

i just use those bamboo ones that are used for dumplings

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Smythe posted:

how do you feel about low food chain. this is basically vegetarian but includes sardines, meal worms, crickets, etc. low food chain.

dont eat those thinggs

baw
Nov 5, 2008

question for a friend are pubes vegan

baw
Nov 5, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

To make it a moral choice, you have to argue that killing any animal is wrong, which I don't agree with, because there's plenty of animals out there that aren't capable of suffering.

there are neurological structures necessary for an organism to feel "emotional" states, and insects possess them

quote:

Furthermore, neural circuits supporting behavioral/electrophysiological states of attentiveness, sleep and decision making appear to have arisen in evolution as early as the invertebrate radiation, being evident in insects and cephalopod mollusks (e.g., octopus)

if you have a bunch of fruit flies in a cage, and start heating half of the cage, the fruit flies will make a decision to move away from the heat

baw
Nov 5, 2008

tbqh everyone should supplement b12 since we apparently used to get it from dirt in our water and food and that isn't really possible nowadays because the dirt and water is poison

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Crumbskull posted:

Explore beet powder, its whay I use in my 'black pudding'

ew beets

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

just because you can’t solve everything doesn’t mean you shouldn’t solve anything why is this always the argument against veganism :shrug:

people like eating meat and cheese so they find silly ways to rationalize it

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

there is some decent scientific evidence that some plants have biological processes that recognize harm and can communicate danger amongst each other.

yes but none of that is anything related to consciousness. it's more like a whoopie cushion making a fart noise when you sit on it

of course science journalism is absolutely useless at reporting this sort of stuff

PLANTS SCREAM IN THE FACE OF STRESS

baw
Nov 5, 2008

actionjackson posted:

is whether wool gathering harms the animal actually relevant? if it's just about the principle of not using animal products, then it doesn't really matter does it?

"In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."'

so killing animals if it's necessary for survival is perfectly fine then?

"as far as is possible and practicable"

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

but coral isn't more conscious than yeast yet one is vegan and the other isn't.

i just think rules lawyering at the edge of these spaces is funny.

its biology so there are always going to be grey areas but i havent read anything about coral being "conscious" in the cambridge declaration sense

baw
Nov 5, 2008

fortunately it's pretty easy to avoid eating coral and sea sponges and jellyfish

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

under the definition provided by the Vegan society cooking and eating treebeard as he begs you not to do it would still be vegan.

i find these sorts of silly questions far more interesting than debating about insects for pages but ymmv (your meal may vary)

well and more importantly wearing coral jewelry is bad even if it was technically ok according to the vegan society.

the thing is that if you find the coral dead (since the "coral" part is like a skeleton of a dead thing or something i dont know) you arent actually contributing to animal suffering by using it

alsoif you have leather stuff from before you were vegan it doesnt make a difference to throw it out. or if you eat a cheeseburger you find in the garbage there isn't really any ethical problem since youre not creating demand for animal goods. creating the economic demand is where the damage is really done

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Toningly posted:

Questions for vegans:

Can you eat accidentally dead animals, like road kill?
Can you eat animals with no brain, like molluscs or coral?
Can you eat a plant that literally screams in pain when you touch it?
What if that plant had a brain?
Can you eat a robot that perfectly mimics an animal, but is not sentient?
What if that robot is a replicant?
If a trolley is rolling uncontrollably down a track and its going to kill one human, but you can pull the lever and it will go down another track and it will kill 5 cows, do you pull the lever?
Same question, but one track has 1 cow and the other has 100 corn plants that scream (but dont have a brain)

I think your answers will reveal that veganism is a rationally incoherent position.

pls dont trigger me

baw
Nov 5, 2008

you know what is fun

vegan naked brutality w/ permadeath runs in rimworld, especially in a jungle biome

baw
Nov 5, 2008

or just vegan naked brutality, but not in rimworld

baw
Nov 5, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

It absolutely is. Where I am, grains are cheap and plentiful, as are root vegetables, but legumes are real expensive.

Nah, veganism started from the principle of "I absolutely can't deal with killing animals and neither should anyone else". Look it up if you care. It wasn't even possible to survive as a vegan before 1955. Veganism is new, unlike vegetarianism, because we've been eating animals for five hundred thousand years but it turns out that while we don't have the bits to be vegan doesn't mean we have to kill the animals to get what we need. It's that complex stomach anatomy of ruminants that plays the biggest role here... well, that and famines.

The cleanest way I've ever seen a diet summarized was "I don't eat anything with eyes". I point out inconsistencies with skill and dedication and even I couldn't pick that one apart.

al-ma'arri was allegedly vegan in the 11th century

baw
Nov 5, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Well, no, there isn't. There's two thousand years of history of vegetarianism.

You didn't have to eat meat. I said that. You needed to get your b12 from somewhere, and the sources that aren't animal byproducts are extremely regional, and we had no idea what they were until 1955.

The cure used to be liver. Turns out cheese also works. Now we can just brew it.

they got b12 from dirt in vegetables and water which we cant do anymore because the earth is poisoned

baw
Nov 5, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Hah, post/av combo.

But no, the concept of avoiding harming animals is ancient. The concept of avoiding any byproducts was invented by Joe Vegan, a carpenter that died in 2005.

"do not desire as food the flesh of slaughtered animals / Or the white milk of mothers who intended its pure draught / for their young" - al-ma'arri in the 11th century

also he was anti-natalist because he thought it was better to never be born than to face the horrors of the world, and was also critical of religious dogma (including islam) and wrote a book that is basically like dante's divine comedy for his time and place. or more accurately, the divien comedy is basically the epistle of forgiveness of 14th century florence. cool guy all around

baw has issued a correction as of 23:38 on Nov 3, 2020

baw
Nov 5, 2008

FacelessVoid posted:

Ancient hominid diets--baring some regional exceptions like coasts and very high latitudes--were pretty close to modern day chimpanzees which are 97% plant based. We only think of cave men eating lots of meat because stuff like bones are particularly well preserved. However, evidence from stools suggests a primarily plant based diet.

The paleo diet is one of the stupidest fads ever. Veganism is the closest to a true "paleo" diet. Unfortunately my dad has been sucker into believing one of these fad diets that denounces grains and beans. Despite grains being consumed hundreds of thousands of years ago.

so youre telling me caveman poop is vegan

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

had to go to a mandatory funday Friday lunch where work bought everyone pizza and sides but I couldn’t eat anything, gently caress yeah

the social aspect of veganism is one of the toughest parts but real friends will make vegan stuff when they invite you over for food

sucks coming into work and theres a box of donuts or something tho

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Bot 02 posted:

You're welcome! I haven't tried making unwrapped seitan, but I assume it's pretty important for the firmness.

if you just throw it in boiling water you end up with a big thing of cooked seitan chunks that, if cooked in a pan with a bit of oil and spices, makes a pretty good ground meat substitute

steaming is a good way of keeping it from getting too compact and homogenous, and you can stretch and fold before to give it a stringy texture

once you get the hang of making seitan at home youll never go back to the store-bought stuff

baw
Nov 5, 2008

at first youre like "heck yeah hummus" and it becomes a staple food but eventually you move on to other things and eat it less often. if you ever take a vegan cooking class youre almost guaranteed to learn how to make hummus

also yeah make your own dang hummus

baw
Nov 5, 2008

one of the things i struggle most with as a vegan is whether or not hunting is unethical in all circumstances

so you shoot and kill an old buck. clean shot through the head. yes, you rob it of whatever life it had between the bullet entering its brain and its natural death, but given that its natural death would be starving to death in the winter because its body doesnt store enough fat anymore, is it more humane to just blow their brains out in the fall?

i still dont eat meat even from animals killed in the wild but this question still bugs me a bit

baw has issued a correction as of 10:36 on Nov 12, 2020

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

My biggest problem with veganism is that all vegans weigh 90 pounds and have cirrhosis and brittle bone disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00SWOUnAgL0

baw
Nov 5, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Clarence Kennedy rules but he's also on a lot of gear

yeah but every elite athlete has done some cycles

either way juicing doesnt make you into an elite athlete, it just gives you a few extra percentage points along the margins

Peanut President posted:

stop slamming your weights on the ground :argh:

oly plates are made for that because a controlled descent from overhead to the ground with 186kg is impossible

baw has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Nov 22, 2020

baw
Nov 5, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

like i know about clarence kennedy and that other strongman guy but i cannot imagine consistently eating 200g/day of protein from bean paste or whatever vegans are allowed to eat

clarence manages 150 grams per day without supplements, here is some info about his diet

with seitan and soy chunks you get a lot of variety, you can essentially treat them like meat when it comes to cooking and seasoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

tbqh clarence's meal doesnt look very good but any search for vegan junk food is gonna yield plenty of results, many containing protein