Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
to be a little less confrontational than the op, you can do a few things to make yourself a better person without going 100% vegan:

1. give up beef - holy poo poo beef is so bad for the planet, why are you eating this, at the very least try to eat less of it

2. eat less pork - pigs are as smart as dolphins and dogs, try to eat them sparingly

3. take one day off from meat a week - at the very least do one day without it, what's the worst that could happen

4. if you have the money, buy from ethical producers - i understand if you don't have money for this option, but i know for a fact there are a number of 6 figgie computer touchers in cspam, you can afford to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

endlessmonotony posted:

Whatcha gonna do about the consumption of filter feeders like molluscs or herrings?

Or about the whole B12 problem which we do have an answer for assuming global cooperation. We won't have that cooperation.

Hope that they don't go extinct as the acidifying ocean dissolves their shells and spreading anoxic zones make it impossible to get enough odygen

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Twerk from Home posted:

serious posting

I’ve been vegetarian for years now. I eat eggs and cheese. is there a humane way for us to make milk/cheese? I believe we can have ethical eggs where the chickens are basically really dumb pets, but what about milk production at scale?

I guess we could just supplement b12 but eggs/yogurt/cheese make long term vegetarian nutrition way easier for me

I don’t live on cheese, we eat mostly roasted or pressure cooked root vegetables

Dairy products are pretty much irredeemable, but if you're going to do it look for ethical products. Eggs are one thing that really doesn't bother me as long as they're not caged/penned in, in the same way that honey doesn't bother me. I don't eat either,but I don't judge people who do

If you eat wild caught predator fish like tuna, well then you're a piece of poo poo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

endlessmonotony posted:

Verilätty is literally just blood with enough rye flour in it to change the consistency to something tolerable.

I can eat those four times a week and not get enough iron to keep me going.

Humans are just kinda broken a lot.

Verilätty is gross as hell tho

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

hell yeah i do the same

also next time just throw it in the water without wrapping it for a nice surprise it ends up being like ground meat

That's my go to method for making tacos atm

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

anyone know any good vegan blood substitutes, i miss chugging bottles of fresh blood

Corn syrup with iron filings

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

For whatever reason I've never had the urge for a "meat taste" or whatever after switching over

like the whole "fake meat but it 'bleeds' so you feel like it's real meat" is so bizarre to me

idgaf about the "bleed" but the meaty mouthfeel is something i'll crave once in a while, luckily there's a place about a 5 minute walk from me that is 100% vegan and they charbroil the patties and it's so good

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

question for a friend are pubes vegan

Is eating your own placenta vegan?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Trabisnikof posted:

the fake chicken nuggies and paddies are tasty af

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

miniscule12 posted:

there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism

vegans should try to trick americans into supporting the downsizing of the meat industry through public policy, I have no idea how you can do that so good luck

Ending dairy subsidies and free grazing on public lands would go a long way

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Insects are compatible with veganism, which is good since I don't think there's a processed food on the planet that doesn't contain insect parts in some measure

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

did you miss the last few posts, insects also can feel pain

I don't think capacity to feel pain is a helpful way look at it

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

fortunately it's pretty easy to avoid eating coral and sea sponges and jellyfish

Not for much longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Toningly posted:

Questions for vegans:

Can you eat accidentally dead animals, like road kill?
Can you eat animals with no brain, like molluscs or coral?
Can you eat a plant that literally screams in pain when you touch it?
What if that plant had a brain?
Can you eat a robot that perfectly mimics an animal, but is not sentient?
What if that robot is a replicant?
If a trolley is rolling uncontrollably down a track and its going to kill one human, but you can pull the lever and it will go down another track and it will kill 5 cows, do you pull the lever?
Same question, but one track has 1 cow and the other has 100 corn plants that scream (but dont have a brain)

I think your answers will reveal that veganism is a rationally incoherent position.

Checkmate veganailures :smuggo: