Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bot 02 posted:

There are no problems with getting protein on a plant-based diet, it's a myth that you have to eat animals to get proteins.

Beans. Beans. Beans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76XklHNzWx0&t=14s

Beans. Beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

lumpentroll posted:

lentils will be mandatory

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Wamsutta posted:

The duality of thought for people who claim to care about climate change but also still eat meat is straight up lol

Helpful, too! I'm in-process of switching. Habits, etc.

That said...

SUPPLEMENTAL READING:

On carrying-capacity. Yes, the world can go vegan. In fact, it's nearly optimal for maximizing carrying-capacity.

quote:

U.S. land capacity for feeding people could expand with dietary changes

A new “food-print” model that measures the per-person land requirements of different diets suggests that, with dietary changes, the U.S. could feed significantly more people from existing agricultural land. Using ten different scenarios ranging from the average American diet to a purely vegan one, a team led by scientists from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University estimated that agricultural land in the contiguous U.S. could have the capacity to feed up to 800 million people—twice what can be supported based on current average diets.

The researchers found that a vegetarian diet that includes dairy products could feed the most people from the area of land available. [...]

The research team found that:

[...]

- The baseline diet had the lowest carrying capacity and required eight times more land than a vegan diet.

[...]

To develop the model, the team began with an estimate of hypothetical food intake by food group. They then worked backwards to calculate the food quantity that must be produced, the agricultural raw material needed to produce those foods, the total land requirements, and the number of people who can be fed from the land used to produce those foods. The model accounts for factors such as the suitability of cropland for cultivation, the interdependencies of dairy and meat production, and the use of coproducts of food production to feed livestock.

On GHG implications. Yes, vegan is optimal.

Veganism. Best for climate. More than capable of feeding everyone.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Hummus is the King of Sandwiches.

(and Muhammara the Vizier.)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Bot 02 posted:

:agreed:

I don't get leftists who aren't vegan. Like what foundation do you base your leftism on that wouldn't also naturally lead to veganism?

I saw a quote about that. Can't remember enough to find it, though.

But it was about how leftism rejects the entitlement of those above to the death and suffering of those below. And if society can't handle that for its food, how can it handle that for its economics when the carrots and sticks are so much more powerful? The former tills the ideological soil for the latter.

Jog anyone's memory? I think it was posted as an image macro somewhere in C-SPAM and got empty quoted a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol this thread owns

It'd be nice to have a 'vegan enthusiasm/chit chat/current events' thread.

:colbert: