Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

That's almost all vegans though.

Once you put insects onto the "do not kill" list you end up in a situation where you're either murdering wild animals and converting their habitats on a scale that's bad even compared to now, or just killing a whole lot of humans.

Herrings are one of the go-to questions as well because they're clearly fish, and yet they're filter feeders and we have trouble converting brackish water to any kind of farming and otherwise we're not recollecting the nutrients going in without entirely ruining natural ecosystems. Which causes algal blooms and oxygen depletion if unaddressed.

The funnier question is bullshit, because it turns out we need both the perennial plants and the bullshit for soil maintenance. We could replace the cows with fermentation vats, but that would be a massive undertaking very vulnerable to Great Leaping our way to a massive famine. So we'd be risking a massive amount of wildlife to avoid that specific animal byproduct.

No moral high ground available, I'm afraid. And for the people who are just uncomfortable with hurting animals, they're still hurting animals, because it turns out all that food needed to be grown and we have seven billion hungry mouths and nowhere near the planet to feed them without highly efficient farming.

I know, I know, vertical farming, replace all the soil with water, genetically engineer better plants for that, fuel it all using solar concentration power. I'm not against that infrastructure project. It'll take decades at the very least.

Reducing meat consumption, introducing easy nutritionally complete replacement for meat-containing products, fighting against food waste (especially at the retailer spot) - all good ideas that can be done now.

Veganism? Eh. Yes, lesser environmental impact than most people today. But not optimal for animal life. Life's gross and cruel like that sometimes. All part of the cycle.

I mean, I just got a bee in my bonnet from one too many "then you should die" when I reveal I depend on animal-sourced medical treatments to stay alive, but I've put in my work.

what the gently caress is this nerd poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

right "boohoo" "i live too deep in the forest of finland" gently caress off other people manage just well there

matti
Mar 31, 2019

try not kill an animal maybe

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i know you have a real excuse bud

just that text ticked me off the wrong way, whole lot of paragraphs rationalizing taking lives

matti
Mar 31, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

Then tell me, what's wrong with eating bugs?

the bit where they are alive and then they are not

this poo poo shouldn't be complicated, and i'm wholly the first to own up to my bullshit, just so sick and tired of people making excuses when the principle idea is so dang simple

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.gastropub.net/soho/menu-2/

homry for the full vegan breakfast thursday

matti
Mar 31, 2019

the bit where they twitch their protrusions (insects, fish, etc) when hurt has somehow missed science since now

but im sure its just some automatic nerve response, gore that being

matti
Mar 31, 2019

im eatng a mcvegan and feeling sorta bad about it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol this thread owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019