Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
I've been vegan for almost five years now. While I was living in countryside in middle of nowhere in Finland, it was bit harder. The grocery stores didn't have much variety. Eating out was never an option. It was bit better in larger cities. However, last couple of years I could've get all the foodstuff I need from almost any store I go. Being vegan this long means that I've gotten creative with cooking. I make all my food myself and cook a lot. Having enough iron or b12 has never been an actual issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

lol you know just as well as I do going without killing animals isn't gonna happen in the forests. What would I wear?

More seriously, other people survive just fine but those people can cook. And walk medium distances. And usually drive.

... I'm not deep enough in the forests that I'd lack access to anything if I could drive and cook.

Also the only time I ended up killing animals even while I lived deeper was when we got goddamn fur animals loose. And then that rear end in a top hat of a farmer (fur farmers are assholes, whodathunk) got the insurance payments and we were back to where we were.

Are you sure you're not confusing veganism with Jainism? While Jains are vegan, not all vegans are Jains. The line between conscious actions you take and the unwarranted consequences of you living your life isn't the topic here. Perhaps you have sometimes accidentally swallowed a bug? It happens. Not the issue here. The issue is, that we, human animals, maintain and support a massive global industry that is built solely on abuse and murder of other animals. We do it knowingly, even if it's not being necessary for our survival (and actually being harmful for our planet), In terms of land and water management it's wasteful and destructive. And this is not taking into the ethical considerations. Sure, the existing nations states could limit this excessive consumption, but as capitalism shows again and again, those who profit are the real power holders and no structural changes get done. No, the responsibility falls on individuals to start the change.

The moment you start eating bugs knowingly, someone somewhere will turn it into an industry. And that industry in turn will need land and water and more food just to feed one you; it's same as with any animal product. It's wasteful.

If your life depends on animal production, its ok. No-one should be denied their survival. However, the rest of us still need to tackle with the system that we created, one meal at a time.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

You're very confused over multiple subjects here.

Such as what "ethical considerations" means (literally everything you listed is an ethical consideration), the environmental impact of eating (some) insects and filter feeders, how our agricultural cycles work, how well humans absorb nutrition from different sources, the inevitable waste products of producing vegetables and grains, the logistics of feeding this many humans...

Veganism is refusing consumption of animal parts or byproducts. To make it a moral choice, you have to argue that killing any animal is wrong, which I don't agree with, because there's plenty of animals out there that aren't capable of suffering. If you define it just by "life", then plants are very much alive. If you define it by having a negative reaction to injury, again, plants do that too.

If we go by preserving the planet, then it's rather simply not pure veganism and won't be until we're quite a bit further along in genetic engineering, doubly so if you consider animal labor as a problem as well.

I have no moral qualms whatsoever over killing animals too simple to suffer. And won't. Living is killing. If you take it to sustain yourself, something else needed it to live. You've got to draw the line somewhere, and I fundamentally disagree drawing it at just "animals", because that's a category with far too much inside it to be meaningful.

Confused? Maybe not making my point clear. Dunno. What amuses me is that you, a person who is not a vegan, are not going to be a vegan, and probably never will be are more than happy to be in this thread and explain to me, a person who has been a vegan for some time, what it is and isn't.

I mean, sure. Do your thing.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

I'm vegan because my father was a goat