Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, though I don't eat much dairy

"carnist" is not a word lol just say carnivore silly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

People who eat meat eat other things aside from meat, except for a small subsect of crazy people

yep that's my bad, why not just say omnivore?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For whatever reason I've never had the urge for a "meat taste" or whatever after switching over

like the whole "fake meat but it 'bleeds' so you feel like it's real meat" is so bizarre to me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I do have a need for savory tastes sometimes but I just add salt to stuff haha

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Victory Position posted:

*extremely Epic High Five voice* my friend have you heard of lentils

I add the salt to my lentils that I do in the slow cooker

but only with some lentils, the stores only have the lovely green ones now and I find those need salt. yellow and red not so much.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bot 02 posted:

you shouldn't eat animals

I don't think there's anyway you can 100% avoid eating animals as it's inherent to agriculture.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

Insects are compatible with veganism, which is good since I don't think there's a processed food on the planet that doesn't contain insect parts in some measure

did you miss the last few posts, insects also can feel pain

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Do it ironically posted:

humans can live without eating animals, fact. raising animals greatly contributes to global warming and destruction of the environment, fact.

I don’t argue about it with friends in real life, my take is basically you’re selfish and you’re fine with animals suffering if you eat meat. also our grocery bill went down as well anyone who says eating vegan is expensive doesn’t know what they’re talking about

I don't eat meat, but merely existing as a human being requires the killing of animals, even if it's just insects as a result of farming

there's also definitely parts of the world where killing animals is required for survival, like the arctic

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gay_crimes posted:

I can’t stop all harm, therefore there is no point in reducing harm

mainly just replying to "humans can live without eating animals"

veganism is very easy in certain parts of the world. others not so much.

I also don't like the absolutism a lot of vegans employ, I reduce a lot of harm by not eating meat, but well I have dairy every so often. that means vegans won't attack vegetarians right? lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bot 02 posted:

Well someone doesn't know the most common definition of veganism

I've met vegans that are all over the map

some are total absolutists
some think honey is fine
some think certain non-vegan material like wool is fine (I don't see the issue with wool either)

do you have an objection to people living in parts of the world where eating or using animal products is necessary for survival?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is whether wool gathering harms the animal actually relevant? if it's just about the principle of not using animal products, then it doesn't really matter does it?

"In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."'

so killing animals if it's necessary for survival is perfectly fine then?

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

baw posted:

"as far as is possible and practicable"

yeah I saw that, that would mean that people who are living almost completely carnivorous lifestyles due to need could actually be considered vegans, which is pretty hilarious