Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the fake chicken nuggies and paddies are tasty af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

there is some decent scientific evidence that some plants have biological processes that recognize harm and can communicate danger amongst each other.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also it always seemed a bit of rules lawyering to say that yeast is vegan but coral is not vegan

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

baw posted:

yes but none of that is anything related to consciousness. it's more like a whoopie cushion making a fart noise when you sit on it

of course science journalism is absolutely useless at reporting this sort of stuff

PLANTS SCREAM IN THE FACE OF STRESS

but coral isn't more conscious than yeast yet one is vegan and the other isn't.

i just think rules lawyering at the edge of these spaces is funny.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

baw posted:

its biology so there are always going to be grey areas but i havent read anything about coral being "conscious" in the cambridge declaration sense

that's my point. but because coral is considered an animal it isn't vegan and since yeast is considered a fungus it is.

like a talking fungus would be vegan to eat under some definitions and a brain dead human could be freegan under some definitions and that's funny

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FacelessVoid posted:

whoa dude it's like plants are vegan but if they had brains they wouldnt be... did vegans ever thing so of this?!!? very fascinating conversation. much complexity.

under the definition provided by the Vegan society cooking and eating treebeard as he begs you not to do it would still be vegan.

i find these sorts of silly questions far more interesting than debating about insects for pages but ymmv (your meal may vary)

baw posted:

fortunately it's pretty easy to avoid eating coral and sea sponges and jellyfish

well and more importantly wearing coral jewelry is bad even if it was technically ok according to the vegan society.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

roasted and charred veggies are my favorite way to add umami to traditional dishes that normally rely on meat for it. seaweed or soy sauce is also good but you have to be careful because they can really impact the flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

It absolutely is. Where I am, grains are cheap and plentiful, as are root vegetables, but legumes are real expensive.

Nah, veganism started from the principle of "I absolutely can't deal with killing animals and neither should anyone else". Look it up if you care. It wasn't even possible to survive as a vegan before 1955. Veganism is new, unlike vegetarianism, because we've been eating animals for five hundred thousand years but it turns out that while we don't have the bits to be vegan doesn't mean we have to kill the animals to get what we need. It's that complex stomach anatomy of ruminants that plays the biggest role here... well, that and famines.

The cleanest way I've ever seen a diet summarized was "I don't eat anything with eyes". I point out inconsistencies with skill and dedication and even I couldn't pick that one apart.

No potatoes???