Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The rules are simple:

- Post what you think the final electoral map will look like when the 2020 US presidential election is over. You can also bet on the Senate races as well.

- When all the states/races have been called by the Associated Press, for every one that you called wrong you will donate an amount of money to RAINN.

- Decide how much you want to gamble per state! As always, don’t gamble anything you can afford to lose: if you are having financial trouble right now maybe don’t participate, or set your wager to $0.25 per state or something.

- When you post your map, also post what amount you are wagering.

- Only post one map. All bets are final: the first map you post will be what you are in for. So if you post the Jeb! map and bet $10, be prepared to send RAINN $500.

- Not all maps have to be unique. If you want to get in on the action with someone else’s map, just quote them and say something like “I agree with this,” and state your wager.

- For the purposes of this contest, Main and Nebraska’s congressional districts are considered “states.” So if you bet NE2 going to Trump and it goes for Biden, you have to pay up just the same as if you bet Iowa going to Biden and it goes to Trump.

- The easiest way to post your map is probably embedding one from 270towin. After you make your map, there’s a “share map” button that will open several embed options at the bottom. Choose the one on the far right and copy the image link, then add [img] tags. If you want to use some other site, MSpaint your own blank US map, or hand draw all 50 states, go nuts.

- Discussion of maps is also fine! This thread will follow the same rules as the Poliwonks thread:

quote:

What you shouldn't post about :

* Your personal voting choice or how you think others should vote
* The value and ethics of voting for a particular candidate, not voting, or voting third party
* Relitigating the 2020 primary or the 2016 election
* Ideological differences between wings of the Democratic party or political theory in general
* Your opinion of the candidates independent of their 2020 race - this is not a referendum on them as individuals

- Deadline for submissions is the close of the first polls at 6:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, so if people want to try and game things via exit polls and turnout reports they can (can try, at least).

- In the event a state is not called for a while (aka Florida again) you can donate what has been called or wait and do it all together.

- Contest rules are open to change if people have better ideas about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I’ll get things going with my map. I am betting $20 per state:

I call this the “conservative, closer than polls suggest” map. I waffled back and forth on Georgia, Iowa, and Florida, but in the end decided I’d rather be sending money because of a pleasant surprise than anything else.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Betting five dollars per state.

LOL I think this is the same as Moon Slayer whoops

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Here's my POTUS map:

Here's my Senate map:

Doing both at $5 per missed state.

Edit: No gangtag, please. I like my current ones just fine. :)

B B fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 4, 2020

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I'm betting $15 per wrong state.

President:

Senate:

I call these maps the "Ohio and Iowa suck rear end but it's a landslide for Biden" combo.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

zakharov posted:

LOL I think this is the same as Moon Slayer whoops

It's a good map. Not the best map by far, but still ...

e:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The map thread should also give you a gang tag depending on how you do:

All correct: Nate Platinum
1 miss: Nate Gold
2 missed: Nate Silver
3 missed: Nate Bronze
4 or more missed: Nate Plastic

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 1, 2020

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls
I'll bet 5 bucks per state

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Fully prepared to look like an idiot when TRUMP happens again, but ah well nevertheless ($10):

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

$10 per state.

There is systemic polling error, but it's Biden who is being underestimated.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Blue South Carolina? Interesting.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Looking for that Biden blowout.
10€ per state.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Man I thought I was posting the most optimistic map but here you come with blue MT and MO.

Edit: And AK! That map has to be the high water mark for even remotely plausible.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sure would be nice, though.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I am not much of a gambler, so $5 a state.

The fix is in in PA. Between the naked ballots, counties not counting mail ballots until the 4th (hoping the SC would toss anything not counted on the 3rd), and I'm guessing lots of election day fuckery, I don't see it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Man I thought I was posting the most optimistic map but here you come with blue MT and MO.

Edit: And AK! That map has to be the high water mark for even remotely plausible.
I don't think it is at all likely, but I think it represents the most optimistic "possible" result if we see a blowout due to Covid & Trump. There were supposedly some internal poll results that had Republicans worrying about Alaska in September or so. I put in those other ones because they were ahead of Alaska in the 538 snake graph.

I wanted to stake out an optimistic map, instead of all the doom and gloom 2016 stuff.

If I'm right - woohoo! If I'm wrong: Donations for a good cause! Win-win.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm trying for Ok Comboomer's 'Nate Radium' challenge, 1$ per state. An intentionally wrong guess is still wrong so if I ace the challenge I will be donating $50

(If actually trying for Nate Radium violates the fun of that challenge I can post a different map)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'll go in at $10 per state

kind of feel iowa is a coin flip and last couple of polls out of the state haven't looked great, but david wasserman keeps mentioning ominous private polling at the district level, so i'll roll with it. texas is definitely a major reach that's been fooling folks for a decade, but the historical turn out we're seeing at least allows for the potential of a purple texas. my ohio call is probably wrong, but i'm calling it for democrats because it makes a prettier map. georgia i'm more confident on, the general sense i'm getting is that the extra blatant suppression in 2018 is really motivating turn out and i feel like kemp and his cronies haven't been able to effectively counter it this year. pennsylvania has such a consistent polling lead for biden i don't think there's a fix or polling error large enough to keep it red. i actually feel real confident on florida and arizona, seniors flipping from trump to biden in 15 to 20 point swings just completely eviscerates one of the key republican voting blocks, and i don't see how they can possibly recover from that in our retirement home states.

probably out over my skis with this map, but i like the aesthetics of having every blue state either touching or with line of site to another blue state over open water. one day we'll have the heartland completely surrounded

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 1, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

(If actually trying for Nate Radium violates the fun of that challenge I can post a different map)

Nope! You're an achievement hunter and I respect that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I will stake $5 per state, as well as something far more precious: my honor as a poster.

As you can see I have a somewhat optimistic but not wholly delusional take.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Mine's actually pretty much the same as Nessus', and I'll put down $5 per state as well. May Fivey Fox have mercy on our souls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hewlett posted:

Mine's actually pretty much the same as Nessus', and I'll put down $5 per state as well. May Fivey Fox have mercy on our souls.

Oh yeah I think our only difference is that I just tagged them blue as fast as I could. While I have reasonable hope Texas will go blue, I would be shocked if Biden wins by more than, like, two or three points.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

$7 per state. This is pure gut, no brain.

EDIT: my gut changed its mind once and only once

Gravybong fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 2, 2020

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Sure, I'm in for 5 bucks per wrong state.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Here is my map:

I am betting €0.69 per state. If I calculated correctly, that means I can only lose a maximum of 0.69 * 55 = €37.95 if it's somehow the exact opposite of this.

I will not flake out on purpose, but if I forget about this thread for whatever reason, mods are free to send me a reminder via PM.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I am a very pessimistic person. I am hoping to donate a lot. ($5 per state wrong)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TL posted:

Sure, I'm in for 5 bucks per wrong state.

dc not reporting any results is a bold prediction, but in keeping with the spirit of 2020 will probably be the actual outcome

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

dc not reporting any results is a bold prediction, but in keeping with the spirit of 2020 will probably be the actual outcome

Aw poo poo I missed it. Well, at least RAINN is guaranteed 5 bux from me.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I am also wagering my posting honor, but as that's extremely small stakes, I'll also bet $1 per electoral vote difference between this and the actual results.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

$1 per state

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'll chip in for $10 per state. Are we required to go to RAINN or can we donate to any charity we want? Not that it matters much, just wondering.

This is my optimistic, but still not believing in Texas map.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wager: $2.50 per state for both RAINN and The Trevor Project (i.e. each state is a 2.50 donation to RAINN and a 2.50 donation to The Trevor Project).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are we required to go to RAINN or can we donate to any charity we want? Not that it matters much, just wondering.

I guess if you've got a particular charity in mind that's fine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I guess if you've got a particular charity in mind that's fine.

Ahh cool, if I can donate to a local charity that actually makes things a lot easier.

e: not that I'll be wrong about anything, of course

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I think the Trump magic has worn off, especially after his piss poor handling of Corona. I think Biden has it in the bag, with the exception of the Midwest.

As a Texan, I really want Texas to flip.

$1 per wrong state.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'll do $10 per miss

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol sorry misread the OP, 2 bux for each state I get wrong.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Red Wisconsin but blue NE2 is also an ... interesting choice.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

$2/state.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Red Wisconsin but blue NE2 is also an ... interesting choice.

Hey I've got these singles and nothing to lose bud

E: Tried to make Nebraska's District 2 vote for Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Zamujasa posted:

$2/state.

Jeb! loves charity.