Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

DutchDupe posted:

I lie about lying to pollsters in twitter threads. I'm a huge galaxy brain winning the election for TRUMP.

In no way does lying about this help Trump at all. It can only help Biden. These are stupid people! Very fine stupid people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Oh if its own thread you don't need to PM me - I'll just keep an eye on it then.

If you don't donate I will probe you tho, so.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cool

https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/1322930029043605504

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Polliwonks: Iowa Man just unverified Florida Man

Florida Man

Florida Man

Florida Man eats Iowa Man

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Oh if its own thread you don't need to PM me - I'll just keep an eye on it then.

If you don't donate I will probe you tho, so.

Is there any point in throwing extra money down on Senate races? 270 to win lets you make maps for that too.

Also, will Maine and Nebraska EVs work independently for this purpose?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also yes I do see my math error. 50 x 10 is not 5,000.

e: yeah I guess NE and ME will count as separate "states," so if you bet on NE2 going to Trump and it goes for Biden you have to pay up.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Wait, does Nate Silver not pay to get past pollsters' paywalls?

FiveThirtyEight spent their budget on Fivey Fox this year

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

DutchDupe posted:

Is there any point in throwing extra money down on Senate races? 270 to win lets you make maps for that too.

Also, will Maine and Nebraska EVs work independently for this purpose?

Sure. Bet on whatever you want.

And yes Maine/Nebraska EVs are seperate predictions on the 270 to win map.

More money for charity is good!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's glaringly obvious that this is the Trump campaign's last ditch strategy if it all comes down to pa, but it's really really bad that the press can't push back on these ridiculous claims.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1322926474882621441

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Florida Man

Florida Man

Florida Man eats Iowa Man

Florida Man

Florida Man.

Florida Man meets Iowa Man.

They have a fight,

Nobody wins.

Florida Man.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

I had an argument with a good friend about this -- he's still not talking to me. My point was just: Do some people lie to pollsters? Sure. Do a statistically significant number, spread evenly across all polled states, who are lying perfectly in line with state and national trends, to multiple pollsters? Come on. No.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The map thread should also give you a gang tag depending on how you do:

All correct: Nate Platinum
1 miss: Nate Gold
2 missed: Nate Silver
3 missed: Nate Bronze
4 or more missed: Nate Plastic

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Updated rules:

quote:

The rules are simple:

- Post what you think the final electoral map will look like when the 2020 US presidential election is over. You can also bet on the Senate races as well.

- When all the states/races have been called by the Associated Press, for every one that you called wrong you will donate an amount of money to RAINN.

- Decide how much you want to gamble per state! As always, don’t gamble anything you can afford to lose: if you are having financial trouble right now maybe don’t participate, or set your wager to $0.25 per state or something.

- When you post your map, also post what amount you are wagering.

- Only post one map. All bets are final: the first map you post will be what you are in for. So if you post the Jeb! map and bet $10, be prepared to send RAINN $500.

- Not all maps have to be unique. If you want to get in on the action with someone else’s map, just quote them and say something like “I agree with this,” then PM your wager.

- The easiest way to post your map is probably embedding one from 270towin. After you make your map, there’s several embed options at the bottom. Choose the one on the far right and copy the image link. If you want to use some other site, MSpaint your own blank US map, or hand draw all 50 states, go nuts.

- Discussion of maps is also fine! This thread will follow the same rules as the Poliwonks thread:

quote:

What you shouldn't post about :

* Your personal voting choice or how you think others should vote
* The value and ethics of voting for a particular candidate, not voting, or voting third party
* Relitigating the 2020 primary or the 2016 election
* Ideological differences between wings of the Democratic party or political theory in general
* Your opinion of the candidates independent of their 2020 race - this is not a referendum on them as individuals

- Deadline for submissions is the close of the first polls at 6:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, so if people want to try and game things via exit polls and turnout reports they can (can try, at least).

- In the event a state is not called for a while (aka Florida again) you can donate what has been called or wait and do it all together.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Is there any new polling on who people expect to win?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How does that happen.

Presumably the person the poll calls tells them a tall tale, and then the newspaper fails to do any verification on it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
posting any map that isn't a comedy map gives me delirium tremens

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The map thread should also give you a gang tag depending on how you do:

All correct: Nate Platinum
1 miss: Nate Gold
2 missed: Nate Silver
3 missed: Nate Bronze
4 or more missed: Nate Plastic

Nate Radium: you get every single state wrong, which is arguably harder to do than scoring a Nate Plastic

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Lol oh yes, this canard again. Whatever Scott needs to sleep at night, his reputation is poo poo since the Obama years when he decided to out himself as a racist chud. Get hosed Scott.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

eke out posted:

lol remember that iowa poll last night where trump won every age demographic except 65+

I guess they don't like his proposals that involve them dying in massive numbers from a contagious but preventable disease

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

I guess they don't like his proposals that involve them dying in massive numbers from a contagious but preventable disease

Pick, June 16th posted:

We are getting some really good campaign insights though. Looks like campaigning on mass death, piles of corpses in the streets, costs you probably around five points? Big misstep in my opinion.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Rea posted:

Seven paragraphs for a poll respondent who may or may not exist. What the gently caress happened with this Selzer poll?

It heard yelling over a phone :(

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Phlegmish posted:

Well, yes, but also that poll appears to be bad

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
It's been 12 hours and Nate hasn't even tweeted about his SNL appearance I'm beginning to think he's really busy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Both campaigns have sort of written off Ohio, but I guess it's still completely possible that Biden could win it.

It seems that in the Rust Belt, Ohio and Indiana are remaining more or less loyal to Trump. Pretty big U-turn in Michigan and Wisconsin, though. I wonder what the reason is for that difference, other than the fact that Trump had tiny margins in the latter two states to begin with.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Based on more data (and personal experience with my older cousins) it seems Gen X men have taken their rightful place as garbage tier
Basically this:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1322921441122279425?s=20

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hell yeah, looking forward to our second Civil War being guys vs girls.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

to be clear, my point was not to dismiss them, it was to dismiss the one non-trafalgar poll showing that trump is winning young people outright

actually i'd have to double check trafalgar, even they may not be that bad

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1322940513385816064

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Map contest is up!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does "firewall" refer to the estimated Dem lead in votes after early/mail voting?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zwabu posted:

Does "firewall" refer to the estimated Dem lead in votes after early/mail voting?

Yes. Ralston's know among polling nerds for being the only dude who can actually make accurate guesses from early vote results.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

You know what I regret now? Not having the idea sooner of a parody twitter for this fox about how he is a god of despair and agony.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

nah posted:

In no way does lying about this help Trump at all. It can only help Biden. These are stupid people! Very fine stupid people

Yeah I don't get it either, that just dampens enthusiasm for your candidate.

The shy voter effect is real, even if it usually doesn't reflect well on the ideology of the party that those people prefer to remain silent about, but it's not responsible for these significant and consistent margins we're seeing for Biden.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/stella2020woof/status/1322940096228872192

lmao even Hannity's poll is less favorable to Trump than Selzer's

Zwabu posted:

Correct.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Millennial split here between all adults and RVs is really interesting.

The Bush-Obama-Trump years happening as this generation formed its political identity cemented Democrats as the party for serious, nerdy people who have the privilege of knowing how to navigate bureaucracy and do things like always check that their voter registration is up to date and vote in every election.

This is an ideological realignment that's at least as big as the Southern Strategy and Republicans going from the party of Lincoln to the party of the Klan.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Two different FYGM's collided, and 'their own (literal) lives' seems to be winning out if barely, luckily for the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Zwabu posted:

Specifically he's referring to the Dem turnout advantage in Clark county, which is the largest county in Nevada and contains over half the population or something silly. His theory is, and he seems to always be right, that there's a point where if the Dems bank enough votes there early its basically impossible for republicans to catch up