Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What even was appealing about Arizona to John McCain anyway? Was it just a place with a soft enough field that he could become a senator without a lot of resistance? Because that's the only reason Liz Cheney even came back to Wyoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I hope the Trump-holes actually let people vote instead of "poll watching".

I hope it's not close and it's clear Biden wins by tomorrow.

I hope it's a smooth and easy election day.

I'm full of hope, but also poo poo, and the poo poo has more substance...

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

For a dissenting opinion... "serious data analyst" gummi is going with this.

https://twitter.com/gummibear737/status/1323395067692912640

These twitter accounts are going to be a fun visit in a few days.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Gripweed posted:

Yeah they said that there's way too much confusion and too many factors for a single national needle. But those three are good bellweathers, Trump probably needs all of them to win.

For any rational scenarios, he absolutely does.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1323451590527823872?s=20

That seems insane to me. Even 2008 had nowhere near those numbers.

Zore posted:

There are 3 needles for NC, GA and FL

The 3 states with the closest races. Should be fun.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vorik posted:

There won't be a needle this year? NYT's needle was hilarious in 2016

For all his failures Bernie Sanders killed the needle, and for that I am grateful

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LegendaryFrog posted:

For a dissenting opinion... "serious data analyst" gummi is going with this.

These twitter accounts are going to be a fun visit in a few days.

No way are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan going Trump.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Phlegmish posted:

No way are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan going Trump.

You are correct, but this is the only account I could find by a Trumper that promised anything less than red New York.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Timeless Appeal posted:

Here is a map where everything goes pretty well for Trump, but he still loses by an incredibly small margin in Arizona because he was mean to John McCain. Granted, I don't like John McCain. But the idea that Trump barely loses because of needlessly being an rear end in a top hat about McCain would be funny.

That's the map I went with in the post your map contest.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

That's the map I went with in the post your map contest.

Which is over here if you want to make your map official:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946258

Not much time left now!

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

For context, this is the map I think you'd get if you applied the infamous Republican methodology that was floating around Twitter yesterday of "take the numbers and add +10-15% to them because that's just what I want to do."

It's mostly amazing how high the margins are in so many red states that I think it absolutely cannot breech some of these firewalls even in an insane Reagan-style blowout.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Jaster posted:

For context, this is the map I think you'd get if you applied the infamous Republican methodology that was floating around Twitter yesterday of "take the numbers and add +10-15% to them because that's just what I want to do."

It's mostly amazing how high the margins are in so many red states that I think it absolutely cannot breech some of these firewalls even in an insane Reagan-style blowout.

This post isn't a complete reflection without the asterisk note: "I've been seeing some positive signs in Kentucky of a Biden win, but I'm not quite ready to call it yet."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vorik posted:

160 million would result in the highest voter turnout rate in a presidential election since 1960.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DaveWoo posted:

160 million would result in the highest voter turnout rate in a presidential election since 1960.

What happened in 1960 that got everybody so heated?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I hope Biden wins this, and I hope he wins it in such convincing fashion that I can enjoy the evening without massive anxiety.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vorik posted:

The 3 states with the closest races. Should be fun.

2008 had 131 million voters from a population of 304 million people (43% of total population).

This year could have 160 million from a population of 331 million people (48% of total population). Or more!

It's a wild increase.

For comparison, 2016 had 137 million voters from a population of 323 million (42% of total population).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Everybody was horny for JFK.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Everybody was horny for JFK.

This time around everyone's horny for BIDEN

The people just want Catholic presidents

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Probably the debates. TV was a new political tool that drove lots of participation. It was also very close.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The next two days are going to be a special hell for me as a social studies teacher. I really am not sure what I should do. Do a normal lesson tomorrow and put on some news or clips the day after? Try to teach a normal lesson both days and just keep an eye on my news feed in case something major happens? Maybe just give the kids an open floor to ask questions and share their opinions? I just feel kind of anxious about how to handle this moment, especially since I'm in Chudland.

I took Thursday off (we're on a 4 day schedule) since I couldn't take the day after, and boy do I think I'm going to need it.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

vyelkin posted:

2008 had 131 million voters from a population of 304 million people (43% of total population).

This year could have 160 million from a population of 331 million people (48% of total population). Or more!

It's a wild increase.

For comparison, 2016 had 137 million voters from a population of 323 million (42% of total population).

Yea it’s not happening

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Probably the debates. TV was a new political tool that drove lots of participation. It was also very close.

Also tbh turnout was just generally higher back then.

63.3% in 1952, 60.6% in 1956, 62.8% in 1960, 61.9% in 1964, 60.9% in 1968. Then it dropped to 55.2% in 1972 and has never fully recovered. Until now. Maybe.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

AAAAAAAAAAHHHH

*checks polling, relaxes*

but AAAAAAAAAAHHHH

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sanguinia posted:

The next two days are going to be a special hell for me as a social studies teacher. I really am not sure what I should do. Do a normal lesson tomorrow and put on some news or clips the day after? Try to teach a normal lesson both days and just keep an eye on my news feed in case something major happens? Maybe just give the kids an open floor to ask questions and share their opinions? I just feel kind of anxious about how to handle this moment, especially since I'm in Chudland.

I took Thursday off (we're on a 4 day schedule) since I couldn't take the day after, and boy do I think I'm going to need it.

I feel like just talking it through, trying to have a conversation (not a debate!) about processes and the mechanics of the election could be good? I have zero teaching experience and I imagine it greatly depends on the ages and maturity of the kids.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
okay then

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

my hot take: final votes will be high 130s/low 140s. turnout will be a dud tomorrow.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Catchy theme song.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

trying to imagine where my mental state might be this time tomorrow

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

my hot take: final votes will be high 130s/low 140s. turnout will be a dud tomorrow.

That might work if the early vote is as heavily skewed towards Biden as polls suggest.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

How are u posted:

I feel like just talking it through, trying to have a conversation (not a debate!) about processes and the mechanics of the election could be good? I have zero teaching experience and I imagine it greatly depends on the ages and maturity of the kids.

Well, I spent the last two days explaining the Electoral College and the PoliSci factors for choosing which candidate you're going to vote for.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FBS posted:

trying to imagine where my mental state might be this time tomorrow

All signs point to "uncomfortable"

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

That might work if the early vote is as heavily skewed towards Biden as polls suggest.

correct

we have evidence that there is an enthusiasm gap between parties:

registered republicans are returning their ballots later and at a much lower rater

also trumps fundraising is garbage right now, compared to 2016 when he beat clinton in the last 30 days

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

That would be the best case at least in regards to the day being one big Covid-19 super spreader. (Which it of course probably will be anyway) :sigh:

Also it would mean Republicans didn't show up, so it might be even better than a 160+ record smasher where both sides are just insanely hyped up. The early vote has been massive and crushing Democratic, at least from a party registration viewpoint.

But what about the crowds! Didn't you see?? All the cars??? They had flags!!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Ah stupid image bullshit.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Lotta people worried their vote wont count if its not in person this year and a lot of people think "in person" means only on election day.

Most people are very for the death cult or very against it.

I think overall turnout gona be high.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tom Friedman's brainworms are terminal at this point.

https://twitter.com/Nick_L_Miller/status/1323455284841467906

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

correct

registered republicans are returning their ballots later and at a much lower rater

also trumps fundraising is garbage right now, compared to 2016 when he beat clinton in the last 30 days

So low turnout tomorrow will probably help Biden, this make sense to me.

However, crazy high turnout helps his math for flipping Texas, which would doom Trump.

So, same result but different map either way?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Antillie posted:

So low turnout tomorrow will probably help Biden, this make sense to me.

However, crazy high turnout helps his math for flipping Texas, which would doom Trump.

So, same result but different map either way?

no, low turnout dooms trump.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Tom Friedman's brainworms are terminal at this point.

https://twitter.com/Nick_L_Miller/status/1323455284841467906

This is deranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

let me put it this way: 100 million people have voted already and estimates of the aggregate distribution range from 70/30 biden/trump to 60/40 at worse. trump needs huge turnout solely amongst his voters.