Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Biden is up by 45k in PA w/ like 55k remaining. Trump would need to win like 92% of that amount to just tie. Just ask them how that math is supposed to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Malachite_Dragon posted:

For the past four years, the Executive Cheeto has been in one scandal after another- and every time, y'all said the same thing.
"There's no way he'll be wriggling out of this one! It's just absolutely impossible. He'll have to face the consequences of his actions, and we will drink deep of his tears and listen to his lamentations."

Bullshit. Go ahead and quote people rather than gesticulating at some nebulous group of posters and putting words in their mouths.

e: if that was meant to be more frustration directed at a sizable chunk of the American public in general, ok, that’s fair. But please, we’ve had another poster doing the exact opposite gimmick for four years, please don’t flip the trend the other way.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 10, 2020

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Biden is up by 45k in PA w/ like 55k remaining. Trump would need to win like 92% of that amount to just tie. Just ask them how that math is supposed to work out.

it's past the point where anyone is disputing a victory on the numbers, they want to throw out large numbers of ballots now. which has approximately a 0% chance of happening.

basically the plan just seems to be to gum up the works for long enough to somehow disadvantage democrats and advantage republicans.

however, we're starting to see the opposite effect, where republicans are being effectively convinced that voting is "rigged," and will be less likely to turn out to the GA runoffs as a result. the strategy of just "generally gently caress around, see what happens, and latch onto whatever we can" has been very effective, though, so who knows how it winds up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Covok posted:

What amazes me is how older liberals don't understand politics at all. Like, at all. These motherfuckers actually got civics classes and they understand nothing.

We're tax accountants and we were going over Biden's tax plan. She liked some of it but felt things like the high capital gains and increased social security tax was unfair. Why? She often complains taxes are unfair and refuses to believe me when I tell her something she doesn't want to believe is true. She searches and tries to find alternatives and honestly believes she will find "a fair" and sensible answer.

People are generally super ignorant of the mechanics of political power. This isn't a mistake at all, it's confusing and counterintuitive on purpose. You can make much better progress finding specific issues people care about and encouraging them to vote for progressive candidates who support those issues. The nice thing about progressive politics is that there's usually a simple and good-sounding solution to problems that almost everyone has. Find a pain point and offer relief in as non-partisan a way as possible. If someone is upper middle class or wealthier, and they're not already on your side, move on. You really can't talk wealthy people into giving away their poo poo if they weren't already looking to do so.

There's a reason that Florida voted for both Trump and a 15 dollar minimum wage. It sounds oxymoronic but it's not. On a conceptual level, it's justifiable to want to burn down the system, but if someone offers you a solution to your immediate problems you're gonna loving take it.

e: in 4 years I got my lib mom to go from "did bernie really help hillary though? i though he was very mean" to literally joining the DSA this week, feels good man

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 10, 2020

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Glumwheels posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/1326186036217720833

Hahaha the hits keep coming, everyone is done with Trump

This is an important part of ensuring trump and the gop can’t somehow actually overturn the election - foreign leaders just recognizing Biden and moving forward. It doesn’t seem anymore significant than a formality but big trade partners telling the gop they don’t recognize trump et al as legitimate is pretty important; the alternative would be very destabilizing and lend more credibility to this bullshit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I hope y'all are right about Trump just pitching a huge fit that will be sound and fury signifying nothing, I really and truly do.

What you need to understand, at least for me and I'm sure at least a few other people doomposting, is that the last four years have sucked really, really, really loving hard. For the past four years, the Executive Cheeto has been in one scandal after another- and every time, y'all said the same thing.
"There's no way he'll be wriggling out of this one! It's just absolutely impossible. He'll have to face the consequences of his actions, and we will drink deep of his tears and listen to his lamentations."

Except he did. Again and again, justice failed, he did not face any consequences, and he continued on his merry way loving over my country. We can't get our hopes up anymore, we've been hurt too many times at this point. Only when January is here and the electors have done their work will we be able to relax.

This is an understandable reaction. His whole presidency feels like an unceasing parade of jump scares and it's hard to believe we're at the end of the movie.

We are though. Lights up, sound off, it's done.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
No sequel.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/byamberphillips/status/1326169850834792454

If only this happens, they tried to do this in PA but the republicans wouldn’t let them to create this precise situation right now. Even after they overwhelmingly voted to implement vote by mail in 2019.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phylodox posted:

No sequel.

Oh, that's premature. They might try to greenlight something for 2024, but given the lead actor's health and legal issues, I suspect they'd have to re-cast the main role.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Glumwheels posted:

If only this happens, they tried to do this in PA but the republicans wouldn’t let them to create this precise situation right now. Even after they overwhelmingly voted to implement vote by mail in 2019.

Howley sounds like an idiot who doesn't understand what's happening. Like that time they all made up a secret memo wit damning evidence they couldn't talk about and then a bunch of them demanded it get declassified.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Glumwheels posted:

I'm sure the bill is secretly poo poo, but sure, Dems are ok with this. Everyone should want them all counted. Go for it.

Not that I haven't been a reverb-liette of low-amplitude dread since Nov 2016, but this alternate reality poo poo really has hit a fever pitch and I'm pretty intensely concerned.

Is there any modern example of this level of denialism and how it plays out in a theoretical democracy?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Howley sounds like an idiot who doesn't understand what's happening. Like that time they all made up a secret memo wit damning evidence they couldn't talk about and then a bunch of them demanded it get declassified.

It makes perfect sense if you read these actions through the lens of line-readings in a play about America being undermined and destroyed by seditious elements and not as policymaking.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIbRlj7nJY&t=41s

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I'm sure the bill is secretly poo poo, but sure, Dems are ok with this. Everyone should want them all counted. Go for it.

Not that I haven't been a reverb-liette of low-amplitude dread since Nov 2016, but this alternate reality poo poo really has hit a fever pitch and I'm pretty intensely concerned.

Is there any modern example of this level of denialism and how it plays out in a theoretical democracy?

Oregon and Washington state are both still counting ballots and I believe they started counting as ballots came back. This poo poo takes awhile even in states that only have VBM and execute it well.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Going to local news pages is both hilarious and terrifying at the same time right now. Its like "look at this unhinged idiot" while also realizing that they potentially live 20 miles away.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I 1000% do not want them to go down the ~decorum~ route of "let bygones be bygones, let's just forget about Trump and his daily crimes for the last 4 years" like they did with Bush and the ongoing wars.

No, I will not be satisfied if Trump just gets to go blathering on until the end of his days claiming he won and whipping his cultists up into a violent frenzy because ~decorum~ dictates that it would be bad to use the full force of the government to go after him and his ongoing grift and have him face jail time and lose his assets and properties.

Basically I want to see Trump Tower turned into a state owned homeless shelter.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"technically Trump cannot be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder because his overall success means we can't classify his behavior as 'disordered'" codicil under any such discussion

What? That's not how personality disorders work. External markers of success do not mean a person is cannot be diagnosed if it is impairing their ability or causing distress. Presumable if Trump did not have NPD he would be even more successful (or at least happier).

The disclaimer you should be adding is, "I've never interviewed Trump in a clinical setting and without firsthand knowledge am unable to diagnose Trump" (assuming you are trained and qualified to do psychodiagnostic assessments).

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thing is, if we lived in a functional society, those people would be right. We don't, so they're wrong, but it isn't just stupidity on their part.

The core problem America is facing is that we are, as a nation, essentially in a society- wide collapsed prisoner’s dilemma, with the Republicans, Conservatives, and Capitalists *always* choosing the short term self interest, "fuxk you got mine" option.

So we can't have the nice things you get when all parties cooperate. Like health care or a functional government.

The west wing esque "why can't we all just get along" idiocy isn't just terminal stupidity; it's people who want to cooperate failing to realize that the prisoner’s dilemma has collapsed and they've been betrayed.

Agreed. I also think it's important, in family situations especially, to think about who is trying to smooth the waters. A lot of women were raised to not make waves and not disagree. Boys are the loud ones that cause trouble, and girls are the ones who follow the rules and fix things. If you're raised in that environment disagreeing can feel a lot like causing trouble and can be really difficult to do, especially in the same family setting where those ideas were first instilled.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 10, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

It really does seem like the true believers in the GOP are starting to catch up to the grifting cynics in the party. The former don’t seem to realize they’re caught up in a game created by the latter that’s snowballing out of control. You can grift reality, but these guys are just going to end up super confused and angry when their notions aren’t lining up with results.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HD DAD posted:

It really does seem like the true believers in the GOP are starting to catch up to the grifting cynics in the party. The former don’t seem to realize they’re caught up in a game created by the latter that’s snowballing out of control. You can grift reality, but these guys are just going to end up super confused and angry when their notions aren’t lining up with results.

Whether or not Trump remains a fixture of the republican party, there's a faction that will cargo cult him like Reagan until the end of time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The election lie is going to be with us for a long, long time.

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1326206731760922624?s=20

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm beginning to hate Missouri a lot.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

306 EVs, 5+ million popular votes, in the contested states Biden flipped he won by more than Trump did. This is going to be an endless battle with the GOP and it’s going to become a normal talking point hosts joke about and just let them get away with much like Obama’s birth certificate.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember republicans crying into their pillows about the 2016 election being called too early when it was called much earlier, and it was much closer.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

pacerhimself posted:

I don't remember republicans crying into their pillows about the 2016 election being called too early when it was called much earlier, and it was much closer.

Yeah cause they won and have no actual principles. It's so disappointing. The GOP is no joke an enemy of democracy.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm beginning to hate Missouri a lot.

I live in Missouri. Your hate is not unfounded. I'd love to move to Chicago or Twin Cities, but I'm not good enough to get a good job there so I'm stuck here for a while.

I looked at the voting results of this place and have been facing some challenge accepting just how horrible my "neighbors" are. It's honestly disheartening.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

Yeah cause they won and have no actual principles. It's so disappointing. The GOP is no joke an enemy of democracy.

We've known it in abstract forever, but the last decade has made it so crystal clear that when given the choice between adapting to maintain power in a small-d democracy VS tearing down democracy to maintain power.... well for them it's clearly no choice at all.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Dick Trauma posted:

The modern iteration of the stab in the back myth is gonna be the Bigly Election Fraud myth

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

306 EVs, 5+ million popular votes, in the contested states Biden flipped he won by more than Trump did. This is going to be an endless battle with the GOP and it’s going to become a normal talking point hosts joke about and just let them get away with much like Obama’s birth certificate.

Worse than that, because with the birth certificate all you had to say was, "no, he has one. It's real. gently caress off." To explain why #stopthesteal is bullshit you have to rattle off a list of bullet points while they get to shout a single meme at you.

Oh, and also this time around the lie undermines the whole concept of faith in the democratic process, so that's not great!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Republican voters could honestly use a little less faith in the democratic process.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Shrug.

Just punch them in the mouth. Even if they're family, just do it. If pain gets associated with being evil people, they might reconsider spouting nonsense.

Don't actually do this. I just miss when we were all okay with punching Nazis.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

How are u posted:

We've known it in abstract forever, but the last decade has made it so crystal clear that when given the choice between adapting to maintain power in a small-d democracy VS tearing down democracy to maintain power.... well for them it's clearly no choice at all.

How old were you during the W Bush era? The guy was literally Trump, but with Decorum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GWB was a whole other breed of terrible from Trump, it's a hard decision don't make me choose!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1326202085176713216
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1326192888104034307

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Glumwheels posted:

Its only a matter of time before the argument shifts to, "Democrat votes are invalid because Democrats are traitors and enemies of the state shouldn't be allowed to vote".

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How old were you during the W Bush era? The guy was literally Trump, but with Decorum.

Yeah, I said "we've known it in the abstract forever". Bush era was 20 years ago, I remember. The Republican party got much worse after Obama was elected.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Let's pretend it was possible to get the courts to order a full recount.

It's very hard to see a world where that happens and then can be enforced in time to make the 12/8 cutoff.

Wouldn't that just setup a 2000-esque situation where it would be "nope, sorry, there is insufficient time remaining for this to happen"?

I'm trying to convince myself this is all just posturing on behalf of everyone (except Trump himself, who probably believes it) designed to make the transition as messy as possible and ensure Biden inherits a broken government and a country with COVID out of control everywhere?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Wouldn't that just setup a 2000-esque situation where it would be "nope, sorry, there is insufficient time remaining for this to happen"?

Except their intent is to get to that point, and then have the SC just declare that in lieu of normal elections the incumbent retains office.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

DandyLion posted:

Except their intent is to get to that point, and then have the SC just declare that in lieu of normal elections the incumbent retains office.

it's 2020 so I'm not saying anything is impossible, but there isn't enough LSD in Vermont to make me think this is a thing that will happen

6-3 or not the supreme court is not going to just void an election based on total bullshit, :toxx: (I guess I already toxx'd on biden so I will be double banned if wrong)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I keep seeing Trumpers talking about Trump is going to make sure some states (enough to make a difference) miss the 12/08 deadline which will ensure no one has enough EVs. Than it would be handled like a tie. Is this even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I keep seeing Trumpers talking about Trump is going to make sure some states (enough to make a difference) miss the 12/08 deadline which will ensure no one has enough EVs. Than it would be handled like a tie. Is this even possible?

No. The whole basis of the Bush v. Gore case was that the deadline was looming and a decision had to be made. If there is any case still pending at the SC by then they'll use the same argument.

Don't listen to Trumpers because everything they spout is bullshit fanfiction.