Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mystic Stylez posted:

KC are even bigger favorites to make the SB than they already were before the season started IMO

the AFC sucks

the NFC is very clearly worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

a neat cape posted:

Still wondering how that was a pick

cross posting this from the afc north thread:

Borsche69 posted:

having watched that INT a couple more times, I know what they're referring to regarding the rules. I definitely agree that if it was a WR catching it, no one would really give a second thought to it.

it really comes down to when he establishes control, which you could argue happens the second it hits his hands. then he gets both feet down, and then there's a cross between attempting to bring the ball in/he takes a third step. even if it's all while falling backwards, it counts as a 'football move' (one of the most bullshit descriptors in sports, but also kind of necessary given that the NFL still doesn't realize they can just define a catch as something that you know it when you see it).

they removed the dumbass part of the rule where the catch has to survive to the ground, so that differentiates it from the dez bryant and other such old catches.

by the letter of it, it does make total sense. the thing that sucks about it is that i have no idea how consistently they make this call. any given week they probably just call it incomplete or let the ruling on the field stand. and that's more where lovely feeling around the call it justified

https://twitter.com/_joeyhayden/status/1325528019797209088?s=20

This replay has the best angle of what they're looking at. The ball doesn't really start to bobble until after he takes his second step and already starts to bring the ball in ("move common to the game" :rolleyes:). It makes sense down to the letter of the law, but you know that they just aren't going to call this consistently.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If they're calling that an interception, its clearly a fumble as well. The ball is out as Peters' rear end hits the ground

Also everyone is ignoring what a terrible throw it was by Rivers

Yeah they called it an interception and fumble, recovered by the defense. I think Chuck Clark? was the lucky one that got to pad his stats with the 'fumble recovery' that occurs when everyone thinks the play is dead and he gets to slowly pick the ball up.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The real problem is trying to learn and unlearn their standards for a catch. The 'catch has to survive the ground' rule is locked into my brain and hard to remember now that it's been 100% replaced with 'act common to the game'.

That would make this also a catch btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIH-GrnnPVM

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

wandler20 posted:

Lee Evans played for Baltimore? Is it a rule that every old discarded WR has to go to Baltimore for at least one season?

Lots of people remember that Branden Stokley played for the Ravens, but what they don't remember is that we brought him back when he was suitably old and washed up enough to entice Ozzie.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

He never really had control though.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

His hands never even stay stationary on that ball, it's wobbling out of his grasp practically the whole time. That's an incompletion.

https://twitter.com/_joeyhayden/status/1325528019797209088?s=20

watch this again

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

first time watching this and my immediate gut reaction was to say how the gently caress was this called an interception

He has control of the ball through the first two steps (no movement off the ball at all through that process), the ball is moving before the third but (and I'm guessing) not enough to declare a loss of control until after his third step (where the ball actually becomes loose). Frank Reich said the refs told him something about counting steps so, as far as I can tell, that's their explanation of it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Basically, from what I can tell, they don't think he loses control of the ball here:

Which is before his third step. And that's probably because he has or regains control here:

Which is after his third step. And then they determine Peters to actually lose control here:

Where you can see his hand physically come off the ball. But yeah, again, how consistently do they ever make this call? It's right by the letter, even with what is technically enough evidence to overturn a call on the field, but 9/10 they just ignore it or let the ruling on the field stand. They're never consistent, and rarely this consistently anal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mystic Stylez posted:

well Marcus Peters just gets INTs so if that's him it's an INT. sound reasoning by the refs

this. sorry to see people hate on the galaxy brained refs.