Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Christ everything is so bad why is it so bad why

American Electoralism as it stands now is broken in a poo poo ton of ways and even the best realistic case scenarios of this election right now are merely staving off poo poo down the block for a few years. Now the factors one would need to take out in order to fix things are a large interconnected web of gently caress, but a major thumbtack a lot of these threads are wrapped around that could help unravel this gently caress is the two party system. Because as it stands, one party has an establishment that hates you and merely pretends to like you and has a bunch of good faith members that are mostly effective at a state level, with the ones that do make it to a federal level often getting dirty looks from the establishment's eye of sauron, while the other just wants to stab you in the dick. And what about the other parties you ask? It's a vicious cycle of Goddamn of people not wanting to support them because they don't have a good chance of winning because people don't want to support them because they do-

you get the picture

Why's the 2-party system so strong oh god help

A lot of factors, but the biggest one would probably be The Spoiler Effect™. Basically as it stands the US uses First Past the Post when it comes to voting, which means that you only get to vote for one candidate and whoever gets the most votes wins, even if it isn't a majority. That's fine and dandy if there's only two candidates, but if there's more than two then candidates with similar positions will cannibalize each other's votes, resulting in the odd duck out often winning even if said winner would've lost had there only been one of the similar candidates. So if you want to take down the 2 party system, ya gotta get rid of first past the post.

So what do you suggest we really need an answer help

Well one alternative that looks especially promising is STAR Voting. In a nutshell it's basically like if score voting and jungle primaries had a baby.

How does this work please oh please aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I had an explanation written by myself here originally but I decided to just replace it with the official explanation when I decided to revive the thread because I'm not good at explaining things:

What are some other benefits to this outside of abolishing the 2 party system

Well since there's now need to winnow down the field there would be no need for primaries, except for the presidential ones for a while, and even then eventually we'll hopefully get to a point where every party has low enough influence that they could choose a presidential candidate behind closed doors and no one would give a poo poo because if their pick sucks we'd have plenty of alternatives. No primaries means shorter campaign seasons means less money needed for a campaign meaning less influence from big donors. Also no runoffs.

Who should I ask to help who should I tell how do I get the word out

Well a lot of the most helpful info is going to be on the official website that'll be linked at the bottom of this OP but if you want a direct take specific to me: Honestly I feel like the concept of a successful FPTP alternative would be appealing to both those who are heavily plugged in and want to fix this country and the types who don't want to have anything to do with politics. The former is self explanatory, but for the later think about it: Multiple groups of politicians who can compromise with each other without it being considered too far in a dangerous direction? Depolarization of the country? No primaries or runoffs meaning shorter political seasons? That sounds like a "shut the gently caress up about politics" type's wet dream to me.

What if hope is a lie and this crashes and burns, with this turning out to not be what it's cracked up to be

Honestly that does eat at me a bit; I've gone from thinking IRV was the way to go to approval voting to score voting and now this. Maybe there'll be a new hotness later on. But as it stands pretty much anything would be better than FPTP.

Any resources that would help me understand this better than your OP post?

The Official STAR Voting Website

The Equal Vote Coalition Website

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wanna plug in my support for my boy, Single Transferable Vote!

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

So STAR voting is just a fancy name for preference voting.

Obligatory link to Dennis The Election Koala explaining the Australian preference voting system: http://www.chickennation.com/voting/

Aggy-Waggy Flufftums for God-Emperor of Mankind.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'd never heard of the STAR voting method before, but it seems overly complicated compared to STV or instant runoff voting. Why is it better than those options?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

sirtommygunn posted:

I'd never heard of the STAR voting method before, but it seems overly complicated compared to STV or instant runoff voting. Why is it better than those options?

I am the worst person to ask this question but the official star website goes into detail in comparison to instant runoff problems.

Could someone explain how STV works to me? I had a hard time groking it when I tried to look into it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My understanding of STV is that its instant runoff voting but for elections that involve multiple seats of the same position being filled at once.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Actually you know what? In a way presidential primaries and presidential elections (since you're actually voting for delegates/electors) are technically multi-winner closed party list elections. Does anyone know what the best voting method for that type of thing is? because it sounds like STAR voting is more for single-winner elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

does it count as Necrobumping a thread if its your own thread?

sirtommygunn posted:

https://twitter.com/5starvoting/status/1410290370336854018?s=20

Worth noting that Australia's been using IRV for a long while but still has only 2 major viable parties