Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Would you support Republicans and Democrats forming their own unions? How do you envision that being accomplished without devolving into civil war? Or is civil war more likely if we maintain the status quo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Splitting up the country in any way would almost inevitably cause more problems than it solves, particularly with respect to human rights issues.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Doing so would make the Partition of India look well managed in comparison.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Polarization in this country will only increase, so I feel like a separation is very likely.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah let's throw the continent into a few generations of utterly devastating internecine violence for no real reason whatsoever. Why not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We tried this once and it didn't work.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OP, how would you split the country? Because I can't think of a way that makes any goddamn sense. Make sure to look at where the money is, then look at where the best farmland is.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

At best you could hope to make chicago, LA, NYC ect their own states. Theres too many blue cities surrounded by red shithole counties to divide the country

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Two countries? Don't you mean three countries? The largest group should get their own country. The country of non-voters.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Blue Footed Booby posted:

OP, how would you split the country? Because I can't think of a way that makes any goddamn sense. Make sure to look at where the money is, then look at where the best farmland is.

This isn't lost on me. I made no suggestions because I have no solution. I put the question out there because I figured there might be a few goons with some innovative ideas.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think there's a good way to divide the country. Urban areas and rural areas are where the political divide is, and you... can't divide things up like that.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah let's put two new countries on the land that isn't yours

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
So will us "poors" who can't afford housing in NY or CA going to be allowed to migrate over and live in cardboard boxes?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
haha yeah, rad idea. Lets just make a new america!!

Just gotta get rid of the old one first ;)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
One of the countries comprises the east and west coasts, so I guess we need to annex southern Canada to keep land-access routes between them. Sorry, Canada.

quote:

Make sure to look at where the money is, then look at where the best farmland is.

Yes, we can all see where California is on the map. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't think there's any way to realistically divide the USA into just two countries. An attempt at division would create an insane morass of borders that would instantly fracture into something like a dozen or more incredibly messy series of enclaves-within-enclaves, local fiefdoms split on hyper-local rivalries and disputes, and crisscrossed by a whole host of impassable natural borders.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also remember that each of those states has plenty of people on the other "side", within ~10% margin of each other. Texas is "red" but has millions of "blue" people. Even if it was a good idea to split up the country by ideology, it would be impossible without mass migration.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fister Roboto posted:

Also remember that each of those states has plenty of people on the other "side", within ~10% margin of each other. Texas is "red" but has millions of "blue" people. Even if it was a good idea to split up the country by ideology, it would be impossible without mass migration.

They'll have to make their way out to one of the coasts.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you're already dismantling the USA then it may as well be left together but the states redrawn into fewer, huge semi-autonomous zones who then create regional zones on some common principles. Some things make sense to divide by geography but plenty of state and county lines should be redrawn to represent the USA as it is now, not what it was 100-200 years ago.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

CocoaNuts posted:

This isn't lost on me. I made no suggestions because I have no solution. I put the question out there because I figured there might be a few goons with some innovative ideas.

These threads only work if you put in the effort to outline a batshit scheme that we can all make fun of.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

only a coward and a fool would be willing to condemn millions of vulnerable people to death, imprisonment, immiseration, and misery simply because they live in an area of the country you don't like

the real solution is, as always, communism now.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Flip Yr Wig posted:

These threads only work if you put in the effort to outline a batshit scheme that we can all make fun of.

Sorry to disappoint. I'm already concocting a new thread where we make Flip Yr Wig the Dear Leader of one of the two Divided States of Americas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think the U.S. should be subjected to an international occupation force by the rest of the world's governments united under the proud, blue banner of the United Nations. Frankly, the U.S. has been acting like a rogue state for too long. The international war against -- and occupation of -- the United States will be both just and necessary. Is this a violation of American sovereignty? The U.S. has lost its sovereignty as far as a state can under international law. It participated in regular aggressions or occupations of territory, violated the letter and spirit of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, violated the Genocide Convention, and played host to international terrorists. Its sovereignty is at an end.

The American people are being starved to death to build palaces for their psychopathic oligarchs. Their ruling two-party duopoly fuels ethnic hatreds with a policy of divide and rule. An imploded state will make things worse. Do you know what will happen if the situation continues to deteriorate? Canada will invade to take the Midwest and parts of New England including Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Mexico will invade to support its proxies, and the Cubans will intervene to do the same favor to radical left-wing extremists. In fact, all those powers are trying to meddle in the U.S. now. But we are fortunate, as are the American people, that there is a growing coalition to prevent the United States from becoming another Rwanda or another Congo. Intervention is the only responsible course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyXTJFQZQco

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 5, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
This is an extremely lazy solution when the obvious problem is how the country's government and elections are organized and you'll need to fix that poo poo either way.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

This is an extremely lazy solution when the obvious problem is how the country's government and elections are organized and you'll need to fix that poo poo either way.

Every change necessary to fix the US voting system requires constitutional amendments and Americans are weirdly against modernizing that thing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Can't we just start killing the rich? That seems like it'd solve more problems and be faster and easier.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Furnaceface posted:

Every change necessary to fix the US voting system requires constitutional amendments and Americans are weirdly against modernizing that thing.

Splitting the country isn't any more likely but also doesn't address the actual issue so my post stands.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Splitting the country isn't any more likely but also doesn't address the actual issue so my post stands.

Oh I think splitting the country is dumb and suicidal, but its not like you can just flip a switch and fix all the electoral issues. Its going to take decades of work to fix.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

Oh I think splitting the country is dumb and suicidal, but its not like you can just flip a switch and fix all the electoral issues. Its going to take decades of work to fix.

I agree which is why I think the topic of this thread is dumb and should switch to how to fix the country.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Would you support Republicans and Democrats forming their own unions?
No, it's an incredibly stupid idea.
How do you envision that being accomplished without devolving into civil war?
I don't. If I have to pretend that I do, it's that one side manages to completely blindside the other and skips immediately to the wholesale massacre of civilians that any civil war would entail.
Or is civil war more likely if we maintain the status quo?
It's significantly less likely than if we try to turn neighbor against neighbor in the nightmare scenario that is the balkanization of America.

Seriously, either the differences in America are resolvable through the usual American political process of street violence and laws being passed to cool that street violence down or the country balkanizes and the term balkanizes gets replaced with americanizes as we descend into an actual war of all against all. The idea that either side in the multifarious disagreements we have in America is going to back down is comical. Are you from outside the US, because if you're inside it you're a danger to yourself if you're honestly this stupid.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Instead of trying to divide the country along arbitrary borders, simply divide it financially. If you vote blue, you pay blue taxes and can use blue-funded services and must obey blue laws. If you vote red you pay red taxes and can use red-funded services and must obey red laws. There may be trade tariffs between the two colors. There would have to be an enforcement agency funded by both sides for crimes that cross ideological lines, much as the FBI is funded by the people of all the states and is supposed to handle crimes that cross physical state lines.

Edit: also you have to dress in your party colors, to make the inevitable large-scale physical war easier to manage.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

roomforthetuna posted:

Instead of trying to divide the country along arbitrary borders, simply divide it financially. If you vote blue, you pay blue taxes and can use blue-funded services and must obey blue laws. If you vote red you pay red taxes and can use red-funded services and must obey red laws. There may be trade tariffs between the two colors. There would have to be an enforcement agency funded by both sides for crimes that cross ideological lines, much as the FBI is funded by the people of all the states and is supposed to handle crimes that cross physical state lines.

Edit: also you have to dress in your party colors, to make the inevitable large-scale physical war easier to manage.

Wouldn't be fun to live alongside the CHUD death cultists who would probably snap and mass shoot randomly

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This a slightly reworded Christopher Hitchens article advocating the invasion of Iraq btw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think we should make samoa a state

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If the balkanization of the United States ever happens it'll be through sheer passivity, in the same way California consistently ignores Trump's EOs or red state governors refused to expand Medicaid following the ACA. Over time these norms can eventually decay and corrode, with the economies of larger states effectively becoming a regional fiefdom within an increasingly ignored and useless federal government. Given that our own national Congress has been essentially deadlocked for the past 10 years with the states currently having to enact reforms through their own houses or public referendum, it's easy to envision a future where politically and economically aligned regions such as New England slowly secede through lack of participation. There are many obvious barriers to this happening, especially for smaller states that are dependent on federal money, but laws require the recognition of all parties involved, and the perceived lack of federal legitimacy that has accelerated with the Trump administration is one potential vector through a gradual breakup and regionalization of the United States.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Could always have Soros pay people to move to other states to vote. Test out that UBI everyone wants. California has enough voters to spare right?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I will have the best individual of both states suck my left and right nuts individually and whichever wins doesn't have to sacrifice a child that year.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

You can't create one country of cities and one country of the rural areas in between them which is what the actual divide is, rather than states

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Badger of Basra posted:

You can't create one country of cities and one country of the rural areas in between them which is what the actual divide is, rather than states
Not with that attitude.

Really though, why not? There's historical and current precedent for city states, as well as places where people have to cross borders every day to go to work/school, even in the US!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The suburb was without a doubt the single largest disaster of civil engineering in the past century.