Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The actual people are a lot less divided than our stupid loving governing structures make it look.

The solution is actual democracy and things like proportional representation , not a turning the continent into mega-balkans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

exquisite tea posted:

The suburb was without a doubt the single largest disaster of civil engineering in the past century.

The car. The suburb doesn't happen without the car.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Still Dismal posted:

The actual people are a lot less divided than our stupid loving governing structures make it look.

The solution is actual democracy and things like proportional representation , not a turning the continent into mega-balkans.

Honestly, if the US got proportional representation...the a far-right "Trump" party would get like 42-45% of the vote, and everything else would be a hodgepodge. Foreign journalists who have been living in the US for years were commenting that they have never seen the country this divided and it is starting to look like other countries with harden political divisions.

I don't know if a break-up would actually work (it would be chaos honestly), but that doesn't mean things aren't going to get ugly.

forkboy84 posted:

The car. The suburb doesn't happen without the car.

Eh, other places had cars, it wasn't just that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

You can't create one country of cities and one country of the rural areas in between them which is what the actual divide is, rather than states

Eh, I guess something like Apartheid or the Israel/Palestine situation could work.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not with that attitude.

Really though, why not? There's historical and current precedent for city states, as well as places where people have to cross borders every day to go to work/school, even in the US!

Because the rural areas of this country want to crush the urban areas. It's not enough to be left alone to be god-bothering gay hating bigots, the rest of us have to be culturally aligned with them too or else we'll inevitably seduce their children and grandchildren with our freedom loving ways. Genuinely, a not insignificant chunk of Americans want a theocracy that reflects their understanding of God or they want to kill whoever doesn't want that until they get that. You're essentially proposing that we make future generations of Americans born into rural hellholes have to plan an escape and successfully flee to a different country. That's not a tenable situation, two countries that are that badly divided are going to war if they're neighbors.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Still Dismal posted:

I dunno man the people are pretty loving divided

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not with that attitude.

Really though, why not? There's historical and current precedent for city states, as well as places where people have to cross borders every day to go to work/school, even in the US!

City states didn't literally end at the city walls.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Flip Yr Wig posted:

City states didn't literally end at the city walls.
The US isn't neatly divided into urban and rural either though. Some degree of control over their immediate environs as part of the divorce settlement is only natural.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Because the rural areas of this country want to crush the urban areas. It's not enough to be left alone to be god-bothering gay hating bigots, the rest of us have to be culturally aligned with them too or else we'll inevitably seduce their children and grandchildren with our freedom loving ways. Genuinely, a not insignificant chunk of Americans want a theocracy that reflects their understanding of God or they want to kill whoever doesn't want that until they get that. You're essentially proposing that we make future generations of Americans born into rural hellholes have to plan an escape and successfully flee to a different country. That's not a tenable situation, two countries that are that badly divided are going to war if they're neighbors.
This is not a can't situation, this is a "this is a bad idea" situation.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
We should do the snow crash thing with the corporate microstates

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Ardennes posted:

but that doesn't mean things aren't going to get ugly.

Yes, there is real potential for violence. Something along the lines of "The Troubles" in Ireland, but instead of being fueled more by religion, this is a right/left schism.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

I dunno man the people are pretty loving divided

Definitely. I don't know how people can't see that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How about we send a small army of Californians to Wyoming and other states with small populations, kinda like the Free State Project etc etc, and just overwhelm the existing voters to slowly convert more and more of the red midland into a blue buffer? :haw: 300,000 Californians would be enough to swing Wyoming without impacting anything back home.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Given that like 40% of the citizenty doesn't vote I think really you'd need three new countries. Red America, Blue America and Whatever America.

https://youtu.be/Xz7_3n7xyDg

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sundae posted:

How about we send a small army of Californians to Wyoming and other states with small populations, kinda like the Free State Project etc etc, and just overwhelm the existing voters to slowly convert more and more of the red midland into a blue buffer? :haw: 300,000 Californians would be enough to swing Wyoming without impacting anything back home.

Unironically if Mike Bloomberg would found universities in Montana, Wyoming, and one of the Dakotas we'd be set

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Unironically if Mike Bloomberg would found universities in Montana, Wyoming, and one of the Dakotas we'd be set

Unironically we should take his money and string him from a lamp post.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

only a coward and a fool would be willing to condemn millions of vulnerable people to death, imprisonment, immiseration, and misery simply because they live in an area of the country you don't like

the real solution is, as always, communism now.

If people are gonna make fun of OP for suggesting something that would be totally impossible they should make fun of this guy too tbh.

Ascythian
Nov 6, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Crumbskull posted:

Given that like 40% of the citizenty doesn't vote

Im not surprised considering the bullshittery of recent elections and lack of objectivity.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Split at the Continental Divide and literally
who cares if its 'even' or 'fair' or 'goes through former US state blundaries'.

We all only need to care about water rights anyway.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, unlike a country with an ethnic/linguistic/religious split where at least you can identity either side, the issue for the US is pretty multifaceted.

It isn't just a cultural, religion, urban/rural, religious or even regional divide, but it is pretty much everything thrown together at the same time. There is absolutely plenty of division if not growing hatred but there isn't the firm dividing lines to allow separation. Also, plenty of visible minorities live in rural counties as well, a "city-state" solution wouldn't necessarily work and neither all regions monolithic (look at Georgia).

That said, it is going to be hard to see that politics just reset to where they were pre-Trump or someone won't try to follow in his footsteps at some point. I could easily see the recent calls about voter fraud eventually become a "stab in the back" like myth.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Granted, unlike a country with an ethnic/linguistic/religious split where at least you can identity either side, the issue for the US is pretty multifaceted.

It isn't just a cultural, religion, urban/rural, religious or even regional divide, but it is pretty much everything thrown together at the same time. There is absolutely plenty of division if not growing hatred but there isn't the firm dividing lines to allow separation. Also, plenty of visible minorities live in rural counties as well, a "city-state" solution wouldn't necessarily work and neither all regions monolithic (look at Georgia).

That said, it is going to be hard to see that politics just reset to where they were pre-Trump or someone won't try to follow in his footsteps at some point. I could easily see the recent calls about voter fraud eventually become a "stab in the back" like myth.

And the terrifying part about someone trying to follow in Trump's footsteps is that the next autocrat is likely to be more intelligent than Trump. If that moron can command almost half of the votes for president, then the country will find itself in REAL trouble when someone who's even more calculated and convincing comes along.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Conservative institutions and avenues to power that lend themselves to being radicalized are an issue. The conservative apparatus needs to be dismantled, their media reigned in. I’ve watched America decline and this has been happening from Reagan onward. Racism is the main issue of this divide. The right is radicalizing and the centrists are ok with that so as long as their system is upheld and they can claim comprise. After dismantling the conservative operation you can maybe rebuild it to push it towards sane policies while still having be conservative. Right now the right is enabling this shift.

I can see so many similarities between America and Pakistan or some countries in that region.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

CocoaNuts posted:

And the terrifying part about someone trying to follow in Trump's footsteps is that the next autocrat is likely to be more intelligent than Trump. If that moron can command almost half of the votes for president, then the country will find itself in REAL trouble when someone who's even more calculated and convincing comes along.

That's one scenario I could see; a competent autocrat takes charge. As violence builds up in an increasingly polarized and policed country, local power becomes more important. Company towns make a re-emergence, this time with PMCs. The federal government manages commerce to the extent necessary for spice commerce to flow; outside those bounds, it's whatever you can get away with. You wind up with something like Ulster; tribal enclaves devoted to hating each other, with enough military presence to keep outright war from breaking out.

With the decentralization of warfare, conflicts would be small, asymmetrical, and often via proxy. Drone warfare, cyber attacks, sabotage. And lots of petty stuff. (I'm imagining the online multiplayer games of this future; reds vs. blues everywhere. And you thought Horde v. Alliance was bad.)

Or maybe this is all bullshit. What's the most boring, mundane, banal way that the country's divisions would fall out/be handled?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We tried this once and it didn't work.

Only because we let the chuds off the hook. :eng101:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Cobalt-60 posted:

That's one scenario I could see; a competent autocrat takes charge. As violence builds up in an increasingly polarized and policed country, local power becomes more important. Company towns make a re-emergence, this time with PMCs. The federal government manages commerce to the extent necessary for spice commerce to flow; outside those bounds, it's whatever you can get away with. You wind up with something like Ulster; tribal enclaves devoted to hating each other, with enough military presence to keep outright war from breaking out.

With the decentralization of warfare, conflicts would be small, asymmetrical, and often via proxy. Drone warfare, cyber attacks, sabotage. And lots of petty stuff. (I'm imagining the online multiplayer games of this future; reds vs. blues everywhere. And you thought Horde v. Alliance was bad.)

Or maybe this is all bullshit. What's the most boring, mundane, banal way that the country's divisions would fall out/be handled?

Split at the continental divide so that you don't have a water war in the next twenty years, and let the east coast knife fight about politics at what is effectively an even battle between Yankees and Confederates.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gerund posted:

Split at the continental divide so that you don't have a water war in the next twenty years, and let the east coast knife fight about politics at what is effectively an even battle between Yankees and Confederates.

The west's chuds might be less numerous but if they wanted to start poo poo the geographical circumstances are going to make them far more effective at sabotaging their enemies, and harder to catch. Lol when the State of Jefferson Free Army starts loving with the central valley's water supply and you all come crawling back to Papa East.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Honestly, at this point I think if it comes to splitting the union, I don't think you get two countries. My best guess is that it balkanizes into several countries divided out regionally rather than strictly along blue/red boundaries. I think there would be too many competing interests in any sort of negotiated division and you wind up getting things like the Nation of Texas because gently caress You Got My Country.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sundae posted:

They already are trickling into parts of Wyoming like Lander and Jackson. They just all call where they're from "Commiefornia" and are all Republicans.

It would be nice if my home sucked less, though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

exquisite tea posted:

The suburb was without a doubt the single largest disaster of civil engineering in the past century.
It's American suburbs in particular that are poo poo. Many suburbs in other countries are totally fine.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The divide is between Cities and Countryside with Blue states being places whose cities outnumber the county while red states being places where the rural population is larger than the cities. Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, Louisville are all very blue and left-leaning but the rural small-town population in those states is just bigger. Upstate New York, Eastern Oregon, the Inland Empire are all chuddy as poo poo but they're drowned out by LA, SF, Portland, and NYC. I don't see a way to make a county work where the cities have no way to grow their own food or natural resources and the country has no hubs for information or knowledge or economic activity.

But I digress: Virginia Colorado and currently Georgia moved left from people moving there so the real solution is carpetbagging.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not with that attitude.

The only two current independent city states are located at the busiest shipping lane in the entire world and the other atop a massive reserve of oil. Both really only exist because of a quirk in how Britain organized its Malaysian colonies anyway and aren't really "natural".

An independent minneapolis for example would be blockaded and crushed by red minnesota fairly quickly. New York, LA, San Francisco and Houston with mayyybee Miami Boston and Seattle could probably exist independently and just import food. Everywhere else? I doubt it and with the exception of Miami and Houston those cities completely dominate their states politics anyway.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

An independent minneapolis for example would be blockaded and crushed by red minnesota fairly quickly.

You understand what a lot of people in this state fail to grasp.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The only two current independent city states are located at the busiest shipping lane in the entire world and the other atop a massive reserve of oil. Both really only exist because of a quirk in how Britain organized its Malaysian colonies anyway and aren't really "natural".
You forgot Monaco and the Vatican.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

An independent minneapolis for example would be blockaded and crushed by red minnesota fairly quickly. New York, LA, San Francisco and Houston with mayyybee Miami Boston and Seattle could probably exist independently and just import food. Everywhere else? I doubt it and with the exception of Miami and Houston those cities completely dominate their states politics anyway.
This is under the Red Vs. Blue scenario. It could still work in a sorta-amicable divorce scenario.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The west's chuds might be less numerous but if they wanted to start poo poo the geographical circumstances are going to make them far more effective at sabotaging their enemies, and harder to catch. Lol when the State of Jefferson Free Army starts loving with the central valley's water supply and you all come crawling back to Papa East.

*ahem* nah, them lil shits ain't nothing.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is under the Red Vs. Blue scenario. It could still work in a sorta-amicable divorce scenario.

amicable divorce with a clean border is the only way to balkanize the country, and even then you're still in a Partition of India scenario where people go door-to-door to cleanse their neighborhood of people who "don't belong".

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If the situation was amicable enough to have an amicable divorce there wouldn't be a divorce in the first place

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

But I digress: Virginia Colorado and currently Georgia moved left from people moving there so the real solution is carpetbagging.

holy poo poo this is a bad take

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 11, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gerund posted:

amicable divorce with a clean border is the only way to balkanize the country, and even then you're still in a Partition of India scenario where people go door-to-door to cleanse their neighborhood of people who "don't belong".

partition of india but more so because the demographics are more evenly distributed and if we take the "well i guess there's nothing for it but to cleanse the republicans from our super-blue states and let everyone else descend into horrific violence" awful assumption this topic always starts with, the vitriol is also more evenly distributed

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

partition of india but more so because the demographics are more evenly distributed and if we take the "well i guess there's nothing for it but to cleanse the republicans from our super-blue states and let everyone else descend into horrific violence" awful assumption this topic always starts with, the vitriol is also more evenly distributed
Do people think republican-only states would descend into horrific violence? I thought the idea was more that they'd descend into near-universal subsistence poverty with a few Bezoses enslaving the rest, who all totally go along with it and think it's the best thing ever.

Oh wait, that's just the status quo, lol.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Let's start with 50 countries. We already got borders drawn up, flags, state governments, etc.

Easy as that! No more half-measures or arguing over custody of the kids, just a clean break.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

whiggles posted:

Let's start with 50 countries. We already got borders drawn up, flags, state governments, etc.

Easy as that! No more half-measures or arguing over custody of the kids, just a clean break.
Does that really help though? As a voter on the 49% side, being represented by the thing I didn't vote for at the state level isn't really any better than being represented by the thing I didn't vote for at the federal level. At least by having both levels of representation, half the population gets half-and-half, a quarter gets what they voted for, and a quarter gets what they didn't vote for, which is a better compromise than a full half of the population getting what they didn't vote for.

Clearly the real answer is just proportional representation across the board, because almost every state votes for "we don't like either option about equally".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

whiggles posted:

Yeah, but we need someone to regulate interstate commerce...