Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You don't need to put borders between Red and Blue in order to lessen the damage caused by insane conservative rurals.

Trump supporters just need to be excluded by non-supporters personally to send the message up top and tell old Democrats to split with their co-worker buddies, and stop the new Democrats from forming friendships with them. I see the fact that you end up being buddies with close co-workers being the worst obstacle that the Democrats who don't want their elected representatives to compromise with the Republicans have in their way.

This will hopefully put the push for Democrats to finally start employing the same tricks used against them, and ramp through a legislative and political reform agenda that solidifies their actual majority at a representational level. So pack the courts, re-apportion the house and make the EC more representative through that, promote the Interstate Compact, keep drumming the line of "one man one vote" like it is the 1960's again and above all rain down executive actions from the sky. I imagine Senate is quite etched in stone, but the drive towards and hopefully admittance of PR, DC, Pacific territories (as one or all individually) and the Virgin Islands as states. And yes, some of those places may have a tiny population but so what? Wyoming compared to California is Virgin Islands compared to Wyoming.

Time and urbanization are on Democrats' side. These people will die out and if America was even moderately representing its populace accurately, it would have already solved the problem. It is not that these people don't exist in other countries - United States is not the only country with the pressures of cities vs. countryside. It is just that in other developed countries, the numbers tell because they are reflected in political outcomes. Multiple parties/ranked choice voting helps, but the above things are measures that would require less electoral reform while working under already established political paths in my opinion.

Of course, I don't see this happening under the "heal the divide" administration/electorate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dumper Humper posted:

Yeah man further atomization and decline of worker solidarity is exactly the pill to fix America.

If you want solidarity with a monster because they are a "worker", you're part of the problem, not the solution.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People splitting off to only ever talking to people who already agree with them is what led to conservatives to just have this feedback loop until they've gone from "I like guns and low taxes :)" to "The democrats without any exaggeration are kidnapping children to feast on their blood so they can stay young forever. ARE TROOPS after conferring with Jesus chose DONALD J TRUMP :911: to root these guys out and show them and anyone opposing trumps agenda is a SERVANT OF SATAN". Making sure our crazy hateful old people only every talk to even crazier more hateful old people will probably not lead to $15 minimum wage, a UBI, better job protections or Medicare for all. I've been wrong before but I do feel confident about this one.

No, people pretending that voting for Donald Trump is acceptable by continuing to associate with these people led to conservatives believing that it is okay to be a monster.

Dumper Humper posted:

Talking to them, like humans, about the real material issues in their lives, and trying to help them, instead of just acknowledging that poo poo sucks and then blaming it on *insert culture war issue* at best and not outright denying it at worst, would be a hell of a start.

Writing them off has demonstrably not worked, because writing them off pushes them further down the rabbit hole, further into the insanity. Going "gosh I guess we just need to get shittier" is loving terrible.

The problem is that they haven't been written off. You pretend they are, but the vast majority of sane Americans, including the elected ones still think it is okay to be on speaking terms and compromise with monsters.

They don't care about the material issues. If decades of being hosed materially up in the rear end by their elected representatives haven't convinced them, what goddamn hope do you have?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 12, 2020

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

radmonger posted:

Similarly, the problem with me not flying is that I think it is ok for me to not have left the ground due to vigorous flapping of my arms.

Any group describable as a ‘vast majority’ is made up of only slightly less than half Trump voters. Your chance of persuading them to do what you ask Is pretty similar than that of me winning an rational debate with gravity.

I have no belief in me being able to persuade them to do that if the last 12 years or so haven't. They should still do it, though.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 12, 2020

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dumper Humper posted:

Buddy if you think it's only Republicans who have been selling out voters to capital, you should probably refrain from posting. Alternately, I'm glad to see you give up on electoralism as a strategy.

I don't think it is only Republicans. And I haven't clearly given up on electoralism.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dumper Humper posted:

You should probably not use "they vote for people who work against them" as a criteria for writing people off then.

That's not the only criteria I am using, nor are the two parties working against them at an equal level.