Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The divide is between Cities and Countryside with Blue states being places whose cities outnumber the county while red states being places where the rural population is larger than the cities. Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, Louisville are all very blue and left-leaning but the rural small-town population in those states is just bigger. Upstate New York, Eastern Oregon, the Inland Empire are all chuddy as poo poo but they're drowned out by LA, SF, Portland, and NYC. I don't see a way to make a county work where the cities have no way to grow their own food or natural resources and the country has no hubs for information or knowledge or economic activity.

But I digress: Virginia Colorado and currently Georgia moved left from people moving there so the real solution is carpetbagging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not with that attitude.

Really though, why not? There's historical and current precedent for city states, as well as places where people have to cross borders every day to go to work/school, even in the US!

The only two current independent city states are located at the busiest shipping lane in the entire world and the other atop a massive reserve of oil. Both really only exist because of a quirk in how Britain organized its Malaysian colonies anyway and aren't really "natural".

An independent minneapolis for example would be blockaded and crushed by red minnesota fairly quickly. New York, LA, San Francisco and Houston with mayyybee Miami Boston and Seattle could probably exist independently and just import food. Everywhere else? I doubt it and with the exception of Miami and Houston those cities completely dominate their states politics anyway.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

People splitting off to only ever talking to people who already agree with them is what led to conservatives to just have this feedback loop until they've gone from "I like guns and low taxes :)" to "The democrats without any exaggeration are kidnapping children to feast on their blood so they can stay young forever. ARE TROOPS after conferring with Jesus chose DONALD J TRUMP :911: to root these guys out and show them and anyone opposing trumps agenda is a SERVANT OF SATAN". Making sure our crazy hateful old people only every talk to even crazier more hateful old people will probably not lead to $15 minimum wage, a UBI, better job protections or Medicare for all. I've been wrong before but I do feel confident about this one.