Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Cicero posted:

It's American suburbs in particular that are poo poo. Many suburbs in other countries are totally fine.

Other countries have suburbs; the US is more or less on its own in having exurbs.

I am pretty sure you could predict the Trump-voting percentage of a given area solely from google street view images. Knowing what state the street was in, or census data, would add a little extra precision, but not that much. To a first approximation, people who live in a given type of neighborhood vote corresponding. Every other way of splitting the vote totals mostly just tells you how people are split across those types of neighborhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

BougieBitch posted:

If you have a train line going into your neighborhood, I wouldn't call you an "exurb".

Absolutely; exurbs typically have a pop density of less than 1 person per square km. That means no shared infrastructure is even remotely possible. Drive out of your front door and you hit a highway before you see a business establishment.

Which of course means no jobs locally, and your children either living in your basement, or a different state. Taxes are not a way of sharing the burden of paying for things everyone needs when there is no useful sharing to be done.

Pretty much everything about Republican politics comes from that socioeconomic environment; if you lived there, you would likely vote that way too. And if you are not prone to voting that way, you wouldn’t be able to live there, and likely wouldn’t want to.

To destroy the power of a socioeconomic class, it is usually a category error to mess with borders. Instead, if you simply ensure that people who live by sharing infrastructure are happier and more prosperous than those who go it alone, things will work themselves out in a surprisingly short amount of time.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

The problem is that they haven't been written off. You pretend they are, but the vast majority of sane Americans, including the elected ones still think it is okay to be on speaking terms and compromise with monsters.

Similarly, the problem with me not flying is that I think it is ok for me to not have left the ground due to vigorous flapping of my arms.

Any group describable as a ‘vast majority’ is made up of only slightly less than half Trump voters. Your chance of persuading them to do what you ask Is pretty similar than that of me winning an rational debate with gravity.