Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

The Oldest Man posted:

Strong suggest you and others read the first couple chapters of V.S. McAlester's A Field Guide to American Houses for baby-level information about the gestation of the American suburb and its physical forms before opining this. Suburbs were the de facto pattern of urban development before cars even existed, and long before 1920.

The US is absolutely not on its own in having exurbs. Many people in Japan do an exurban daily-multi-hour-each-way commute via train to be able to have a 'real' house with a yard and parallel patterns exists across Asia and Europe as well. I know a guy who commutes via bullet train from the outskirts of Nagano to Meguro (that's 2.5-3 hours each way, daily) so that he could have a big house and a yard. This is possible because of a commuter-friendly express bullet train that exists for this purpose, and it's not uncommon.

What's unique to the US are two things:
1) Massive public subsidies for car-based transport and car-centric low density development
2) No parallel public subsidies for other transit modes and development forms; in fact there are mostly incentives for the former and penalties for the latter (like parking minimums in downtown core development projects, for example)

You get rid of other of those things and our car-centric sprawl development form evaporates; either into clustered exurban enclaves (like clusters of mid-rises and houses centered around a train station, if there are public subsidies for rail) or straight up into urban agglomeration with a built up core surrounded by midrise, then townhouses, and then detached houses typically accompanied by private bus/shuttle or light rail/street car transit.

If you have a train line going into your neighborhood, I wouldn't call you an "exurb". People may choose to work a job distant from their home via train, but if there's a train line then there's going to be more than one stop between you and it. When people talk about US exurbs we are talking about the communities 100 miles out from any real cities, the kind of place where describing it would be doxxing myself, because knowing them by name requires you to have lived within 15 miles of it. There are tons of places like that all over the Midwest, where the urban cores are hollowed out and the suburbs have sprawled as much as they are inclined to and the only reason there are housing developments beyond that is because the land wasn't arable or people had an inflated opinion of their ability to create a community. There are so many places that are more defined by the name of the highway exit they exist on than whatever name the community gave itself, and if that's not what you mean by "exurb" we need yet another distinguishing term to bridge the gap between exurb and rural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

The Oldest Man posted:

You only think having a commuter rail stop makes you a real place/community with its own identity because you've never lived in a place that just built those habitually the way we build highway exits.

Ish? I mean, I don't disagree that the US is laid out in a way that is structurally unsound, but if we are talking about US geography I don't really see what the point of comparing a country laid out in a completely different way is. The poster you were responding to was talking about the US-style "this community barely has a name" exurbs, to the best of my knowledge Japan doesn't have any area even approaching the lower end of US population density and it's a weird thing to try to police the definition of in a US-centric thread