Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Would you support Republicans and Democrats forming their own unions? How do you envision that being accomplished without devolving into civil war? Or is civil war more likely if we maintain the status quo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Blue Footed Booby posted:

OP, how would you split the country? Because I can't think of a way that makes any goddamn sense. Make sure to look at where the money is, then look at where the best farmland is.

This isn't lost on me. I made no suggestions because I have no solution. I put the question out there because I figured there might be a few goons with some innovative ideas.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Flip Yr Wig posted:

These threads only work if you put in the effort to outline a batshit scheme that we can all make fun of.

Sorry to disappoint. I'm already concocting a new thread where we make Flip Yr Wig the Dear Leader of one of the two Divided States of Americas.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Ardennes posted:

but that doesn't mean things aren't going to get ugly.

Yes, there is real potential for violence. Something along the lines of "The Troubles" in Ireland, but instead of being fueled more by religion, this is a right/left schism.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

I dunno man the people are pretty loving divided

Definitely. I don't know how people can't see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Granted, unlike a country with an ethnic/linguistic/religious split where at least you can identity either side, the issue for the US is pretty multifaceted.

It isn't just a cultural, religion, urban/rural, religious or even regional divide, but it is pretty much everything thrown together at the same time. There is absolutely plenty of division if not growing hatred but there isn't the firm dividing lines to allow separation. Also, plenty of visible minorities live in rural counties as well, a "city-state" solution wouldn't necessarily work and neither all regions monolithic (look at Georgia).

That said, it is going to be hard to see that politics just reset to where they were pre-Trump or someone won't try to follow in his footsteps at some point. I could easily see the recent calls about voter fraud eventually become a "stab in the back" like myth.

And the terrifying part about someone trying to follow in Trump's footsteps is that the next autocrat is likely to be more intelligent than Trump. If that moron can command almost half of the votes for president, then the country will find itself in REAL trouble when someone who's even more calculated and convincing comes along.