Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Instead of trying to divide the country along arbitrary borders, simply divide it financially. If you vote blue, you pay blue taxes and can use blue-funded services and must obey blue laws. If you vote red you pay red taxes and can use red-funded services and must obey red laws. There may be trade tariffs between the two colors. There would have to be an enforcement agency funded by both sides for crimes that cross ideological lines, much as the FBI is funded by the people of all the states and is supposed to handle crimes that cross physical state lines.

Edit: also you have to dress in your party colors, to make the inevitable large-scale physical war easier to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

partition of india but more so because the demographics are more evenly distributed and if we take the "well i guess there's nothing for it but to cleanse the republicans from our super-blue states and let everyone else descend into horrific violence" awful assumption this topic always starts with, the vitriol is also more evenly distributed
Do people think republican-only states would descend into horrific violence? I thought the idea was more that they'd descend into near-universal subsistence poverty with a few Bezoses enslaving the rest, who all totally go along with it and think it's the best thing ever.

Oh wait, that's just the status quo, lol.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

whiggles posted:

Let's start with 50 countries. We already got borders drawn up, flags, state governments, etc.

Easy as that! No more half-measures or arguing over custody of the kids, just a clean break.
Does that really help though? As a voter on the 49% side, being represented by the thing I didn't vote for at the state level isn't really any better than being represented by the thing I didn't vote for at the federal level. At least by having both levels of representation, half the population gets half-and-half, a quarter gets what they voted for, and a quarter gets what they didn't vote for, which is a better compromise than a full half of the population getting what they didn't vote for.

Clearly the real answer is just proportional representation across the board, because almost every state votes for "we don't like either option about equally".