Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And, to a point, it's important to have regional balance in representation on some level, it just really sucks when most rural areas have decided their interests are mainly homophobia, xenophobia and a bizarre strain of evangelical Christianity.

There's no reason why, on average, people in a rural area should have worse opinions on those issues by default, but ooooooh my do they ever! Even here in Canada, I assure you! I think it has to do with the (to some degree self-imposed) isolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm going to guess you'll still see different voting patterns between the people living in Japanese exurbs and people living in Japanese cities, though. Maybe they don't hate abortion and love Republican Jeezus, but there are probably still some sort of relevant differences.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

It’s not unique to the us in that Canada at least has all the same problems, even if it has a slightly better train system

We have what now?

In what way is our train system better? If anything, it's worse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i would argue it's much easier for a majority of canadians to take a train somewhere anywhere than a majority of americans. obviously there are scaling issues involved.

like the train was basically an impossibility where i lived in the states, here they have stops that aren't only at 3am on wednesdays

Okay, and... why do you think this?

We have one main passenger rail corridor and a few smaller ones, none of which are even up to the standard of the Acela corridor in the US. The US is awful for train service but Canada is just as bad or worse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

because that's one of the only places in the US you can regularly take a train. i grew up in the US and live in canada now. you can theoretically take a train, without much difficulty or planning, across the entire country here along a route that passes through close to a huge percentage of the canadian population.

that's just not possible without a poo poo-ton of effort in most major american cities. i grew up in the hills, so that's an obvious no-go but the nearest city to me was an msa of millions and did not get any kind of daily train service.

There's no passenger service to Calgary or Regina at all, the route between Vancouver and Winnipeg is offered one day a week, and takes 3 days. Just as an example. Outside the Windsor-Quebec corridor, our train service is spectacularly bad, and even there, it's pretty bad compared to its nearest equivalent in the US (the Acela corridor).

If you aren't in the right cities in Canada, it's just as impossible/useless to take a train as in the US.