Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that really puts the lie to the idea that there's a non-zero chance of Biden making things better for the poor/working class is to simply look at what happens in firmly blue states, like California. The Democrats have absolutely zero interest in being a pro-labor party (or a pro-"anything good" party for that matter; even their support for social issues is nearly all superficial). Prop 22 is basically a preview of the sort of future they would prefer for all of the American working class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Here's a preview of Biden's foreign policy

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1326322734683607044

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Lmao gently caress hes gonna be a terrible president

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1326322736105480193?s=20

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that really puts the lie to the idea that there's a non-zero chance of Biden making things better for the poor/working class is to simply look at what happens in firmly blue states, like California. The Democrats have absolutely zero interest in being a pro-labor party (or a pro-"anything good" party for that matter; even their support for social issues is nearly all superficial). Prop 22 is basically a preview of the sort of future they would prefer for all of the American working class.

Would you say Prop 8 in 2008 was a preview of showing how little Obama/Biden ended up caring about marriage equality?

I'm not trying to say that the Biden administration will actually give a poo poo about the poor/working class. I'm just saying, IMO, you can't simplify what happens to a proposition in a firmly blue state to what the Democratic party will end up supporting. Even if it was years (or decades) too late. It's about how much funding that proposition has. In the case of prop 8, it was the mormon church. In the case of prop 22, it's silicon valley.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wasn't obama opposed to gay marriage until it went through on the courts?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

OwlFancier posted:

Wasn't obama opposed to gay marriage until it went through on the courts?

Read my post. Ytlaya and I was both talking about a preview. Which means a view into the future. Not currently. And I specifically said even if it was years (or decades) too late. Which is one of the reasons I didn't support Obama in 2008.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My memory is a bit fuzzy but like, if it was enacted by the courts then you could argue that yes, it is quite indicative of his administration's stance on gay marriage? Which is to say he didn't support it, it was done without his input?

The administration being weak against the tendencies of the supreme court seems like a particularly bad omen for the biden administration.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

My memory is a bit fuzzy but like, if it was enacted by the courts then you could argue that yes, it is quite indicative of his administration's stance on gay marriage? Which is to say he didn't support it, it was done without his input?

I didn't state it explicitly, but technically Obama supported it before the courts. Biden forced his hand in an interview in 2012. Obama supported it soon after. Oberfell vs Hodges was in 2015.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kalit posted:

Would you say Prop 8 in 2008 was a preview of showing how little Obama/Biden ended up caring about marriage equality?

How many members of Obama or Biden's families belonged to the groups pushing Prop 8?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

How many members of Obama or Biden's families belonged to the groups pushing Prop 8?

Thanks for pushing whataboutism.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1326253530903154689

Never mind, I change my answer to 1. Which is still probably too high.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm at a solid 0 to answer the question in the title of the thread. I'm 0% excited about a Biden presidency.

I was tentatively happy to no longer have Trump in that seat, but the last several days of friends, family members, co-workers etc. mentally returning to brunch and eating up poisonous lies about the left nearly costing the election, and rebuking any criticism of Biden and instead focusing on platitudinous bullshit like his rescue dog...

I'm fully aware that we've gone back to 2008 and that's functionally the second worst thing for this country that could have come from this election year.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We're all gonna die of climate apocalypse. Woo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am on the edge of my seat for the heroic roll out of the Biden Harris covid relief program which offers tax credits for patients who test positive three times in a hospital setting and can prove any treatments they received were due to covid and not any pre existing condition who open new businesses in historicallt disadvantaged communities within three months of recovering from covid-19. I am so excited. I am ready to build back better

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what's the number for "actively sad that trump didn't win"? -1?

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Pussy Cartel posted:

Yeah, I really hope we don't end up seeing British TERFery getting imported to this side of the Atlantic under the guise of Harris's yaaaas kween style "feminism."

The difference between the two will be UK terfs will spend an inordinate amount of brain energy trying to come up with the dumbest rationale as to why trans people are just faking it and thus don't deserve rights while americans will go straight to openly calling for their deaths/imprisonment

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I'm probably at a 1, but our buddy kissinger seems to be about a 5. Good for him :kiddo:
https://twitter.com/newsmax/status/1326374110688145409?s=19

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

every day that fucker looks more and more like holden bloodfeast

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

World War Mammories posted:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1326253530903154689

Never mind, I change my answer to 1. Which is still probably too high.

This got a laugh out of me when I heard him say it.

The Trump admin is basically refusing to hand over power and Biden's secret weapon is decorum. Dude's a loving moron or he's deliberately gas-lighting everyone. I have no idea what this bizarre high road strategy is going on here. Trump's committing crimes and abusing power and the democrats are just rolling over?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

From a content perspective the Biden administration is going to be amazing. Like an 8 or 9 easily. The number of 'well actually' or 'Joe is being an adult' and invocations of 'pragmatism' is going to be huge. The denial of the utterly predictable downward spiral is going to make for some really funny and infuriating posts.

From an 'actual hope for the future' perspective though? Oof. -2? I think this might actually be the worst possible time line. The interminable horror and agony of knowing everything is turbo hosed but not knowing when, exactly, it all going to hit the fan is going to be rough to endure.

So I guess mark me down for 'building the levees higher while doing nothing to stop the flooding just makes the inevitable breach all the worse' and call it a 1, because at least there will be a show on while we all drown.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ruzihm posted:

I'm probably at a 1, but our buddy kissinger seems to be about a 5. Good for him :kiddo:

i hope henry kissinger dies. the best day is today, and the second best day is tomorrow. my excitement for his death is a solid 10

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

What can you say about a Biden presidency that never takes place. Well, at least he kept his promise that nothing would change. I'm changing my answer from 0/10 to 10/10. Biden following in Gore's footsteps and never even being sworn despite technically winning is very on brand for the Democrats. They did it again :discourse:.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

ted hitler hunter posted:

What can you say about a Biden presidency that never takes place.

What does this mean, exactly?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

What does this mean, exactly?

I would assume belief that Trump somehow steals the election.

I know that its impossible to steal the election because its nowhere near close enough and we aren't in anything approaching a 2000 situation, but if anyone could find a way to seize defeat from the jaws of victory and somehow surrender to someone with no real leverage at all its probably the democrats

January 20th, 2021, Trump just refuses to unlock the front door of the White House and Biden says aw shucks, we'll get him next time

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nix Panicus posted:

So I guess mark me down for 'building the levees higher while doing nothing to stop the flooding just makes the inevitable breach all the worse' and call it a 1, because at least there will be a show on while we all drown.
Does that metaphor work? I'm pretty sure the key is, in fact, competently constructed (pragmatic and means tested, if you will) levees, not fighting the tides. Or the rain, even.

I'm going to chicken out and say "100 days, see if he has any doubts about bipartisanship and outright surrendering to the republicans". See if this is the second or third worst possible outcome for this election.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kalit posted:

Um.... are you trying to say that this website is inaccurate? It's just aggregating links to what Biden has actually said. And... you know that the whole Russian bounty Taliban thing still isn't a confirmed thing, right (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/u-s-commander-intel-still-hasn-t-established-russia-paid-n1240020)?

As far as Biden ending the "forever wars", I'm skeptical about that part because it's really complex (https://time.com/5890577/biden-middle-east-special-operations-forces/ for the latest on that). The arms dealing to Saudi Arabia is the part I was talking about, which Biden has continued to re-affirm his position on even after the primaries.

I don't think you're allowed to cast shade on someone for doubting a source accurately reflects the actual intentions of a potential Biden administration only to express your own doubt about the exact same source and even the exact same subject in the very next paragraph.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Artificial Kid posted:

I didn't say he cares more about opinion polls than about doing the right thing, I said in a climate where most people supported the war, he gave his support to the war. It was easy for someone to convince themselves, at that moment, that the war was the right thing. In fact most people in America had. They were wrong, but they were convinced.

Maybe the ranking member of an important senate committee should be held to a higher standard of due diligence than the average Fox News watcher.

Plenty of Americans saw through the lies.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xander77 posted:

competently constructed (pragmatic and means tested, if you will)

Those words have nothing to do with each other. A pragmatic and means tested levee would involve access to empty sand bags* from a central repository 100 miles away if you could prove you already had a foot of water in your home. Sand to fill the bags would be part of a second program that would be approved in the next six to ten years.

*empty sandbags would still be $100 each

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 11, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
We are looooooong past the point where anyone should be using the phrase "means-testing" as a positive thing.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think you're allowed to cast shade on someone for doubting a source accurately reflects the actual intentions of a potential Biden administration only to express your own doubt about the exact same source and even the exact same subject in the very next paragraph.

I'm sorry, I sincerely wasn't trying to cast shade on that first part. I was confused and was asking if I was interpreting you correctly that you thought the website itself was inaccurate and Biden didn't actually said that. My interpretation of this was because of the first four letters of your reply was "This source also claims" instead of something along the lines of "Biden also claims". I stated that more likely than not BIden is misleading or lying about ending forever wars, not that the website itself is lying about Biden's claims.

The second part, guilty. I was definitely throwing shade. I did that since you brought up the Taliban bounty thing like it was a confirmed thing when it wasn't even being discussed (nor would it have had an impact on ending the war).

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 11, 2020

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe the ranking member of an important senate committee should be held to a higher standard of due diligence than the average Fox News watcher.

Plenty of Americans saw through the lies.

It's not even like the Iraq War had a single dissenting voice in Congress like the AUMF after 9/11 where you could say "eh everyone was really just scared and got fooled." Almost half of the Democratic senators voted against the Iraq War, and more than half of the Democratic House members! To vote for the Iraq War shows that you are a huge sucker, or more likely you just loving love war.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Maybe it doesn't come up much in d&d but we've observed in c-spam for quite some time now that the bounty story was never substantiated and hasn't served any apparent purpose except to prevent Trump from withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and also given Biden surrogates a way to attack Trump for not being sufficiently tough on Putin. But yes my phrasing was a little ambiguous it's not that I don't believe that Biden said these things it's that I don't believe he was telling the truth about his actual beliefs.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Maybe it doesn't come up much in d&d but we've observed in c-spam for quite some time now that the bounty story was never substantiated and hasn't served any apparent purpose except to prevent Trump from withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and also given Biden surrogates a way to attack Trump for not being sufficiently tough on Putin. But yes my phrasing was a little ambiguous it's not that I don't believe that Biden said these things it's that I don't believe he was telling the truth about his actual beliefs.

Ah okay, thanks for the explanations. And do you have any sources for those thoughts on trying to leverage Trump to force troops to stay in Afghanistan (including by who) or are they just theories? TBH, it sounds a little :tinfoil: to me

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

It's not even like the Iraq War had a single dissenting voice in Congress like the AUMF after 9/11 where you could say "eh everyone was really just scared and got fooled." Almost half of the Democratic senators voted against the Iraq War, and more than half of the Democratic House members! To vote for the Iraq War shows that you are a huge sucker, or more likely you just loving love war.

Even some loving Republican senators voted against it, it only passed because of Democrats crossing the aisle!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nix Panicus posted:

Those words have nothing to do with each other. A pragmatic and means tested levee would involve access to empty sand bags* from a central repository 100 miles away if you could prove you already had a foot of water in your home. Sand to fill the bags would be part of a second program that would be approved in the next six to ten years.

*empty sandbags would still be $100 each

Nix Panicus posted:

I would assume belief that Trump somehow steals the election.

I know that its impossible to steal the election because its nowhere near close enough and we aren't in anything approaching a 2000 situation, but if anyone could find a way to seize defeat from the jaws of victory and somehow surrender to someone with no real leverage at all its probably the democrats

January 20th, 2021, Trump just refuses to unlock the front door of the White House and Biden says aw shucks, we'll get him next time

ted hitler hunter posted:

What can you say about a Biden presidency that never takes place. Well, at least he kept his promise that nothing would change. I'm changing my answer from 0/10 to 10/10. Biden following in Gore's footsteps and never even being sworn despite technically winning is very on brand for the Democrats. They did it again :discourse:.

Carew posted:

The difference between the two will be UK terfs will spend an inordinate amount of brain energy trying to come up with the dumbest rationale as to why trans people are just faking it and thus don't deserve rights while americans will go straight to openly calling for their deaths/imprisonment

empty whippet box posted:

I am on the edge of my seat for the heroic roll out of the Biden Harris covid relief program which offers tax credits for patients who test positive three times in a hospital setting and can prove any treatments they received were due to covid and not any pre existing condition who open new businesses in historicallt disadvantaged communities within three months of recovering from covid-19. I am so excited. I am ready to build back better

dial down the preemptive fantasies about how much the libs will suck in various ludicrous ways

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

After seeing loads of things like this over the last few days?

https://twitter.com/ceodonovan/status/1326270596670386176?s=20

I'd rate my excitement at a 1. Biden's administration seems like it's gearing up to serve the oligarchy. No big surprise, I guess, but you always hope for better.

I don't think they need to hide it as carefully anymore, either. Trump was outrageous enough that people will eat up even a little decorum.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

dial down the preemptive fantasies about how much the libs will suck in various ludicrous ways

Yeah, people need to tone it down. Sure, we have all of recorded history to hold against them, but we can't know what the libs will do in the future. Maybe this is finally the day Charlie Brown finally kicks that football. Gotta stay optimistic! :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

Friendly reminder that every time you wish Henry Kissinger was dead, the dark magicks that power his foul heart only grow stronger. Please do not wish tha-

fart simpson posted:

i hope henry kissinger dies. the best day is today, and the second best day is tomorrow. my excitement for his death is a solid 10

NO!!!!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jimmy Dore has a good rant on Biden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BusmxznLDOo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah, people need to tone it down. Sure, we have all of recorded history to hold against them, but we can't know what the libs will do in the future. Maybe this is finally the day Charlie Brown finally kicks that football. Gotta stay optimistic! :)

Purposes escalating hyperbole serves:

- Emotional venting
- Demonstration that you are angrier than other posters, as evidenced by coming up with a more ridiculous scenario
- Making everyone else angrier, whereupon hopefully they will post hyperbole that makes you angrier

Purposes escalating hyperbole does not serve:
- Creating a thread environment where people who disagree with you feel comfortable posting
- Producing actual discussable predictions
- Promoting disagreement responses that are more engaged and effortful than "lol nah ur dumb"

I want to focus a little more on that last one. If someone posts clearly preposterous hyperbole, what possible direct responses are there that aren't either joining in the low-content angerfest, or saying it's clearly hyperbole and clearly preposterous? Neither of those are useful contributions to the discussion, and the latter makes you a target of the people who are already angry and worked up, leading to further degradation of the thread and of forums harmony.