Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
My excitement is at a 2.

The poop number.

Cause this horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'll admit that I had not remembered the specifics in Biden's role in pushing the AUMF through the Senate, which is probably because I was about 9 when the hearings were occurring and I wasn't quite as tuned in to politics as I am now :v:

That didn't stop you from defending him. :v:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Mostly because regardless of his actions in the Senate, to describe him as an architect of the war is still deeply wrong in comparison to the actions of Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Franks, etc.

Good point. He's more like the engineer that signed off on the design for the murder machine and said LOOKS GOOD TO ME BOYS, but nit the architect.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Glass of Milk posted:

And so we press him now and hold him accountable if he doesn't. But going in with abject defeatism from the get go seems pretty loving stupid.

Just a reminder, on 1/20/21 Joe Biden can legally put you on a classified kill list and have you vaporized, literally vaporized. That is the power differential you will have to overcome.

How are you going to hold him accountable?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Glass of Milk posted:

Yes, there is a power differential. But to say that elections are the only way to effect change is patently untrue. If political power is the be all and end all, then how could Republicans, in charge of all branches of government, fail to repeal Obamacare? Look at the entire #MeToo movement, the civil rights movement, the gay rights movement, suffragists, and so forth: they effected change from without the halls of power. Lyndon B Johnson, a racist, signed the Civil Rights Act.

It's the reason the quote "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you" exists. We all remember the "funny" South Park episodes that made fun of Al Gore, and now Biden wants a $2T Climate Plan. It's not enough, and so we still need to push, but drat if it isn't better than ridiculing environmentalists.

Would we be better off under Bernie or someone of his ilk who wants to confront the issues more strongly? Yes. But if you think electing any one person to President is going to prevent us from having to continue to fight and advocate for important causes, you're wrong.

None of that explains how.

I missed the underlined part my first readthrough. There's so many words unrelated to how Biden can be held accountable that I missed it. Even reading it now, though, there's no real plan. There's just a invocation of previous movements. #MeToo is dead, killed to protect Joe Biden from Tara Reade. Civil rights, gay rights, and suffrage were all advanced by disruptive protest. All three groups had people willing to be beaten, jailed, and die for their cause.

When I ask you how you will hold Biden accountable, it's not because I don't know about protest and direct action. I want to know if you do, and if you are willing to be brutalized for your beliefs. Are you willing to organize or participate in disruptive action? And I'm not advocating violent action, even though you will be called violent no matter what.

I only push back against the idea of pushing Biden left because it seema like most people that espouse it have no idea just what it entails.

Dixon Chisholm fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 10, 2020

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

That's not a plan, it's an encyclopedia entry.

Dixon Chisholm posted:

None of that explains how.

I missed the underlined part my first readthrough. There's so many words unrelated to how Biden can be held accountable that I missed it. Even reading it now, though, there's no real plan. There's just a invocation of previous movements. #MeToo is dead, killed to protect Joe Biden from Tara Reade. Civil rights, gay rights, and suffrage were all advanced by disruptive protest. All three groups had people willing to be beaten, jailed, and die for their cause.

When I ask you how you will hold Biden accountable, it's not because I don't know about protest and direct action. I want to know if you do, and if you are willing to be brutalized for your beliefs. Are you willing to organize or participate in disruptive action? And I'm not advocating violent action, even though you will be called violent no matter what.

I only push back against the idea of pushing Biden left because it seema like most people that espouse it have no idea just what it entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

For some of the pessimists, to include those who references the quote, it may be good to remember it was not saying he'd mostly keep things the way they are, but that rich lives wouldn't really change if they were taxed higher to support progressive programs like expanding health care, combating climate change and spending on infrastructure. He wasn't saying nothing would change for the poor and working class.

Losing money is a substantial change to a rich person. Wealth messes with your head, and after a certain point, all you have left in your life is the pursuit of more money.