Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Waking up to some good news hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So how much will McConnell's refusal to go with the $2000 stimulus be blamed for him losing Senate Majority?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So how much will McConnell's refusal to go with the $2000 stimulus be blamed for him losing Senate Majority?

I dunno but I’ve been using that fact to try and hammer home to my chud father the republicans are not looking out for us.

I wonder what this means for marijuana legalization.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Half the GOP will blame him for this, the other half will (privately) blame Trump and his shenanigans. The two worst people you know are about to just loving rip each other apart.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Will this mean that Stacey will gain more influence in the Democratic Party to strengthen their vote in other states too?

I feel like Stacey is getting too much credit. Grassroots activists, either from youth groups or backed by Church orgs, is what pushed this, just like Latino orgs in Arizona helped turn that state in the wave of activism that occurred in the wake of extremely racist anti-Latino legislation.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Eric Cantonese posted:

So I'm not sure which thread is the best for this question...

Up until today, I noticed a lot of resentment against Ossoff for being a pretty lackluster candidate and maybe someone who just got the nomination because the DNC liked him. I don't know the whole story on the primary, though. Did he muscle someone else out who might have been a better senator? I got the impression that he was basically in the position he was because he was willing to run in a special election that no one expected to be close and no one else wanted to run int and then he did better than expected.

I can understand not being thrilled with him, but to a certain extent I wonder who else was actually eager to show up.

Part of his path to victory was also that his three biggest primary rivals were women, one white former mayor of Columbus in Teresa Tomlinson, one CEO in Riggs Amico and one civil rights attorney and activist in Dillard-Smith. Both were less known, ossoff had name recognition from the 2017 special he almost won and the rest of the field was even lesser known.

Like, there wasn’t a big conspiracy to get him the nom. He won it, but mostly because he almost won a previous election and was popular in the suburbs around Atlanta. He was a good polished campaigner. I saw them all speak at an event last December and he was clearly the most prepared, even if he came off as a young dudebro.

The three women who trailed him (by a lot) in the primary all would have been an upgrade over Purdue and at least one of them had better politics (that aligned with mine) than Ossoff.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

So I'm not sure which thread is the best for this question...

Up until today, I noticed a lot of resentment against Ossoff for being a pretty lackluster candidate and maybe someone who just got the nomination because the DNC liked him. I don't know the whole story on the primary, though. Did he muscle someone else out who might have been a better senator? I got the impression that he was basically in the position he was because he was willing to run in a special election that no one expected to be close and no one else wanted to run int and then he did better than expected.

I can understand not being thrilled with him, but to a certain extent I wonder who else was actually eager to show up.

Wait until nay sayers start up who have have constructed a 'just so' story in their head where actually Ossoff winning by a small margin is way worse for the left because reasons. You'll hear all about why he's just so horrible we would have been better off if Trump had won as a write in.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Given how most Republican party members and donors hate spending any money, I would be surprised if he gets any kind of substantial blowback for this. Wouldn't many admire him for his principled stance against BIG GOVERNMENT?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Coredump posted:

I wonder what this means for marijuana legalization.

With Biden and Harris at the helm? Nothing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ryanmatsumoto1/status/1346668945571418117?s=21

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Depends on what happens now that Trump’s mutants are disengaged from politics again. Some of those people are the eternal base of the party and just go along with whatever is served up, but are there enough of them left?

Currently, they are angry and being told to go after anyone who betrayed Trump.

You want a peek inside that mindset, look at a Ben Garrison comic in the Political Comics thread.
Or check out this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1346637313372278785?s=19

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

With Biden and Harris at the helm? Nothing.

Harris is publicly in favor of federal legalization, and Biden is unlikely to veto anything that comes from the Senate.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Murgos posted:

Wait until nay sayers start up who have have constructed a 'just so' story in their head where actually Ossoff winning by a small margin is way worse for the left because reasons. You'll hear all about why he's just so horrible we would have been better off if Trump had won as a write in.

Yah, control of the legislative and executive branches turned out really well for the Democrats last time. Any downside was greatly outdone by the wealth of great legislation and progressive trailblazing that the Obama administration accomplished. Our country was able to come out of the other side of the Trump administration in the vibrantly powerful position it's in today because of all the robust infrastructure that the Democrats were able to install within the federal government.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Given how most Republican party members and donors hate spending any money, I would be surprised if he gets any kind of substantial blowback for this. Wouldn't many admire him for his principled stance against BIG GOVERNMENT?

Principled stands mean little when you are now shut out of the government for 2, maybe 4 years.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was curious about the next steps for Loeffler and Purdue in Georgia, so I quick found the recount rules. We probably all know the <=0.5% recount rule, that at or below that threshold, a candidate can request a recount and it happens.

Looks like that’s not gonna happen, though, so what’s plan B?

quote:

If there is a suspected error or discrepancy in the returns, an election official can ask for a recount.
Okay, so this would be, say, the CEO chasing a recount. Could happen in a few super tight counties. Surely won’t happen at large, I think they’ve been pretty careful and have a good deal of confidence in the current results.

So plan C, then?

quote:

If a candidate for federal or state office petitions the Secretary of State regarding a suspected error or discrepancy, the Secretary of State can ask for a recount.
Okay, they can go to the Secretary of State. Who happens to be one Brad Raffensberger, maybe you recall that name from a recent phone call about 11,780 votes, and the subsequent public execution of Trump. OOF, if that isn’t a big fat :discourse: I don’t know what is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pick posted:

Harris is publicly in favor of federal legalization, and Biden is unlikely to veto anything that comes from the Senate.

Oh, that’s good, I must have mis-remembered her stance on that before. Right on.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Currently, they are angry and being told to go after anyone who betrayed Trump.

You want a peek inside that mindset, look at a Ben Garrison comic in the Political Comics thread.
Or check out this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1346637313372278785?s=19

Good. No, seriously, good; these bastards deserve this and more for supporting Trump and the conditions that led to Trump. I hope no conservative politician gets a moment of peace for the rest of their lives. This is the bed they made.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

Its more likely to be blocked by Dems with hang-ups about it like possibly Manchin? There's a wing of the Republicans which is completely down with legal weed so they might be able to make up ground there.

Mitch had a reefer-madness like view of weed amd was definitely the biggest block to this despite Kentucky having almost ideal conditions climate and terrain-wise for marijuana production (it was the biggest hemp producer in the country before it became illegal and was the second biggest marijuana producer pre-Colorado) so its way more hopeful now.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yah, control of the legislative and executive branches turned out really well for the Democrats last time. Any downside was greatly outdone by the wealth of great legislation and progressive trailblazing that the Obama administration accomplished. Our country was able to come out of the other side of the Trump administration in the vibrantly powerful position it's in today because of all the robust infrastructure that the Democrats were able to install within the federal government.

I assume this is sarcasm but essentially, yes this is what I expect to see. Some justification where Trump and the Republican controlled government of the last 4 years was really the Democrats fault because *reasons* even though no republican senator voted for an Obama initiative his entire tenure and that somehow Ossoff winning is just a continuation of Democratic party failings.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The wondrous thing is half of them will blame McConnell (the Trumpian populists), and the other half will blame Trump and the kooks.

Circular firing squad.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TulliusCicero posted:

Trump is hosed

Mitch GOP will blame him

He's going to be under investigation as soon as he's out of office

He has now angered the GOP that could have obstructed for him

The GOP is headed for civil war :munch:

The loving phone call with my (GA) SoS needs to be followed up with the strongest reasonable charges and sentences possible. It is unreal that a president and a couple of lawyers thought it was appropriate to do that in the United States.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its more likely to be blocked by Dems with hang-ups about it like possibly Manchin? There's a wing of the Republicans which is completely down with legal weed so they might be able to make up ground there.

Mitch had a reefer-madness like view of weed amd was definitely the biggest block to this despite Kentucky having almost ideal conditions climate and terrain-wise for marijuana production (it was the biggest hemp producer in the country before it became illegal and was the second biggest marijuana producer pre-Colorado) so its way more hopeful now.

But the difference now is that there is a better chance these things actually get voted on.

Once senators have to go on the record, its harder to dodge taking unpopular positions. That's what Mitch McConnell's job has been since becoming Majority leader-- just keep Senate Republicans from having to take any unpopular votes by refusing to bring up any bill passed by the Dem House-- even if it would pass with moderate GOP and Dem support. Mitch took all the heat and the hate, while people like Perdue or Collins got to pretend to be concerned, or say they would support it if it came up for a vote. That game ends in a few weeks.

What will Schumer bring to the floor? Will he block bills that progressives want? Will there be some failure theater? Sure. But Schumer will actually be responsive to pressure from the Democratic base and the left, whereas Mitch doesn't give a poo poo what you think. For a demonstrative lesson, no amount of public pressure was ever going to get Mitch to bring the 2k checks to a vote. Further, Manchin may be able to sink anything, but so can Sanders or Merkley. A 50-50 Senate with legislative agenda set by Schumer is going to be very interesting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Mitch isn't uniquely evil for his party, just unusually willing to accept negative energy from the public.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Pick posted:

Yeah, Mitch isn't uniquely evil for his party, just unusually willing to accept negative energy from the public.

He’s been in the senate since what, 1984? He has no consequences for his actions. If I’m doing “bad” poo poo and there’s no consequences is it bad?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Earth posted:

He’s been in the senate since what, 1984? He has no consequences for his actions. If I’m doing “bad” poo poo and there’s no consequences is it bad?

His house is actually in a very liberal neighborhood and he pretty regularly has protests and meals out interrupted. He's denied service at restaurants quite a bit and I know for a fact that he tried to book a table at Jack Fry's (fanciest restaurant in the city) for derby and was denied for being Mitch McConnell.

Most politicians either want to change poo poo or they just want to feel like a big shot who everyone loves. It's genuinely very rare to meet a Senator who does not care if he cannot step outside his door without having his takeout box of Havana Rumba slammed into the ground of Bardstown Road by a passerby or have to abort a trip to Paul's Fruit Market for some bananas because the entire store began booing so long as he can have power for its own sake.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

His house is actually in a very liberal neighborhood and he pretty regularly has protests and meals out interrupted. He's denied service at restaurants quite a bit and I know for a fact that he tried to book a table at Jack Fry's (fanciest restaurant in the city) for derby and was denied for being Mitch McConnell.

Most politicians either want to change poo poo or they just want to feel like a big shot who everyone loves. It's genuinely very rare to meet a Senator who does not care if he cannot step outside his door without having his takeout box of Havana Rumba slammed into the ground of Bardstown Road by a passerby or have to abort a trip to Paul's Fruit Market for some bananas because the entire store began booing so long as he can have power for its own sake.

I'm convinced that this is how he feeds and you might be able to destroy him if you hugged him or said "i love you".

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

I'm convinced that this is how he feeds and you might be able to destroy him if you hugged him or said "i love you".

There's a buddhist tale that this is how a monk finally exorcised demons from his cave after chasing them, reading sutras to them and holy rituals just made the demons bigger so I'd believe it.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

nachos posted:

I moved from New York to Georgia less than a year ago and never in my wildest dreams did I think our votes would matter this much. Feels good :unsmith:

Welcome home nachos. Now let me eat you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Centurium posted:

Like ludicrously, crazy hard. 98% of eligible Georgians are registered to vote.

She also pioneered (with several other people) a new kind of GOTV operation that happens in person but is way more active than just door knocking and includes basically talking to people about how to vote effectively and offering tools like a ride to the polls, finding your (early or not) polling place, and how to track your mail in ballot. They then follow up to help again, even if it's with really hard stuff like curing a mail in ballot.

And it works really well.

Is anyone in the DNC looking to replicate this in, say, Texas or Ohio?

Probably not, huh?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Petr posted:

Probably not, huh?

Sounds like work, dude.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Boy are we never going to find that out

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Petr posted:

Probably not, huh?

It's easier to hire consultants to look busy.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Also, it'll be interesting to see a majority leader actually punished for losing. At least the Republicans have that going for them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

Boy are we never going to find that out

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Grayly Squirrel posted:

But the difference now is that there is a better chance these things actually get voted on.

Once senators have to go on the record, its harder to dodge taking unpopular positions. That's what Mitch McConnell's job has been since becoming Majority leader-- just keep Senate Republicans from having to take any unpopular votes by refusing to bring up any bill passed by the Dem House-- even if it would pass with moderate GOP and Dem support. Mitch took all the heat and the hate, while people like Perdue or Collins got to pretend to be concerned, or say they would support it if it came up for a vote. That game ends in a few weeks.

What will Schumer bring to the floor? Will he block bills that progressives want? Will there be some failure theater? Sure. But Schumer will actually be responsive to pressure from the Democratic base and the left, whereas Mitch doesn't give a poo poo what you think. For a demonstrative lesson, no amount of public pressure was ever going to get Mitch to bring the 2k checks to a vote. Further, Manchin may be able to sink anything, but so can Sanders or Merkley. A 50-50 Senate with legislative agenda set by Schumer is going to be very interesting.

Small procedure question here that maybe is more appropriate for USPOL - what's to stop Mitch from filibustering any bills that come up and effectively blocking everything that way? Is the difference that R senators are more accountable for not helping to break it vs. them having no opportunity to say anything either way because it just never came up?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mykroft posted:

Small procedure question here that maybe is more appropriate for USPOL - what's to stop Mitch from filibustering any bills that come up and effectively blocking everything that way? Is the difference that R senators are more accountable for not helping to break it vs. them having no opportunity to say anything either way because it just never came up?

They still have to vote for cloture. And because most Americans don't understand the Senate then you can go "See they voted against (bill you really want)." Which isn't actually an inaccurate thing to say.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

With how close things have been, it probably would have made the difference. His refusal to push it in October probably cost them both the White House and the senate.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

With how close things have been, it probably would have made the difference. His refusal to push it in October probably cost them both the White House and the senate.

Awww see, those twee little articles about how Biden and McConnell knew each other were right. Mitch gave Biden the presidency and the senate, what a friend!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm sure everything will go right back to being poo poo soon enough, but at this moment, it's funny as hell that the Republicans managed to gaslight themselves into losing two Senate seats. Also mad props to Stacey Abrams and her crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Shageletic posted:

I feel like Stacey is getting too much credit. Grassroots activists, either from youth groups or backed by Church orgs, is what pushed this, just like Latino orgs in Arizona helped turn that state in the wave of activism that occurred in the wake of extremely racist anti-Latino legislation.

This, and the fact that Abrams has teams of smart people working under her. It's not all one person.