Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Autumn is definitely here and there are few things more comforting than a big bowl of something that's been cooked for hours and will give you that warm, cosy feeling in the depths of your belly.

It's been a while since I busted out the slow cooker, and slow cooker chilli is its own joy. So straightforward and so tasty.

Ingredients:

(I forgot to photograph all of the ingredients...)

500g stewing steak - a mixture of various offcuts because the butcher had almost run out of stewing beef. We got some brisket and other odds and ends thrown in to make up the weight. She was extremely grumpy about having to do this but we got there in the end!
Chorizo
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
Black beans
Kidney beans in chilli sauce
Tinned tomatoes
London porter
Chicken stock cube
Cumin
Oregano
Ancho chilli powder
Green jalapeno powder
Red jalapeno powder
Chipotle paste

Method:

Make your spice mix. I used half a teaspoon each of the chilli powders, a teaspoon of chipotle paste, and a shake of oregano and cumin.

Roughly chop the onion and bash the garlic cloves. It's gonna get all melty by the end so no need to be neat, and I prefer the mellow flavour of bashed garlic in a dish like this.

Fry off the chorizo. More meats make things better!

Fry off your beef to give it some colour.

Set both meats aside and then bosh your alliums and the spice mix into the pan that has the delicious meat fat in it. Fry until it smells awesome and makes you evacuate the kitchen whilst having a sneezing fit from the spicy air.

Use the porter to deglaze the pan so you get all of that yummy meaty spicy stuff into the chilli. Thanks, phone, for making me this!

Put everything into the slow cooker, add your stock cube and tomatoes, and set it to high for two hours.

Now, what better way to kill some time than by going on an autumn walk? We set off to look at some nice colours so I offer them to you for your enjoyment:

We even saw a late bee!

By the time we came home the house was smelling pretty good and there was much excitement for the meal to come.

I put the beans in and checked on the beef. Some was falling apart but a few of the pieces were still fairly solid, but that's no bother because it's good to have some texture in your chilli.

Three hours later it was apparent that my sense that we overdid it on the liquid for the slow cooker turned out to be correct. Not a problem, into a pot on the stove to simmer some of that off and get it nice and thick! I gently mashed the beans a little bit and whilst the pot bubbled away, guacamole was brought into existence.

And tortilla chips were anointed with cheese and put under the grill.

A blob of soured cream, some shop-bought salsa, and some pickled jalapenos later, we have a warming, comforting, joyful bowl to dig in to with abandon.

With some red wine, of course. Excellent pairing. I enjoyed the art on the bottle.

Defeated... Mostly took this picture because I love our cutlery so much and always want to show it off.

So why is my chilli the best chilli?

I don't think it's the ultimate chilli, but it is the best for right now. That's because my country just went back into lockdown, so going to multiple shops is best avoided. Being able to create a drat tasty chilli using ingredients that were either in the house already or easy to come by without having to hit minimum order thresholds is important right now. Plus I am moving house soon, so buying in a bunch of ingredients that I'm going to have to pack up is not my jam. This chilli struck the perfect balance between effort/laziness/payoff.

This was a delicious dinner and rounded off a chilled autumn lockdown weekend very nicely indeed!

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm sort of amused that like half the posters in this ICSA, to include the previous winner, are British :bahgawd::hf::britain:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I'm sort of amused that like half the posters in this ICSA, to include the previous winner, are British :bahgawd::hf::britain:

Unleash the Chilis of Mass Colonisation!

Nice looking chili, including beans as well also good!