Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
As a new player, how important is it to spend your resin? It doesn't feel like the Leylines do much, but maybe Mora gets more important over time?

Also man, the gacha rates are unfavorable. Feels bad to roll and get a bunch of 3* weapons. Game's fun though, and I assume there are some players who don't engage much with the gacha and just check back in whenever new content drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
When using the Geo Traveler, are there any tips for avoiding having the enemy end up on top of your barrel thing? I've seen advice to always aim it manually but either it's hard or I'm just bad. Often the camera angle doesn't help either.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It's a bit jarring when the English voices don't agree on how to pronounce certain words. Unless I'm hallucinating I think the same Liyue NPC just said Qixing two different ways in consecutive lines ("ki-" then "chi-") lol. Not that I expect accuracy in every language of course, but the inconsistency is weird. "abyssosque" is another one that you hear all the time but has voices with different pronunciations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Since weapon banners share the same material as character banners, are 5* weapons mainly for whales and people who already have a lot of characters?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Is there any consequence to which region you spawn the daily missions in? Any reason not to keep it in Mondstadt?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Chuckled a bit at Beidou's tournament where you meet the guy who took out two treasure hoarders unarmed, and Paimon relentlessly clowns on him for being a normie

Sucks if you don't have magical powers!

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
When are you supposed to worry about getting good artifacts? All the guides mention 4*/5* star sets which I don't think I can get yet (AR30, characters lv.40 or so). Right now I'm just chucking on whichever 3*/4* artifacts have numbers that aren't DEF or HP.

Same with weapons actually. A lot of the good 4* weapons seem to be gacha so I'm just using Favonius $WEAPON_TYPE.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I feel like gacha mechanics aren't something you should have to research lol.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 24, 2021

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

kater posted:

Four hundred thousand times more Keqing content than exists in game.

Yeah, while I'm working through the story this surprised me. She was one of the characters I was vaguely aware of as popular from this game but she gets like two appearances. Pretty decent speech, but it was like 5 lines.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Tae posted:

I'm pretty sure it takes longer to burn all your stamina in alchemy stars/arknights than do your dailies in Genshin which is hilarious

As a newer player the literal daily commissions and resin seem fine, it's things like fishing and mining and collecting random materials that are really annoying. And I'm not at the point of starting artifact grind but that seems bad too.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Is there any mechanic that offsets the local specialties grind or do people really end up going around picking dandelions or whatever every 48 hours

I don't care about the gacha or rewards, farming resources is the worst part about this game so far :negative:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I think rather than a tier list, something that would be really useful for newer players is a mid-level description of what each character is all about. It seems like most resources are either a basic listing of what the skills do, or a min-maxing guide of what the best weapons/artifact/compositions are. But it's not so obvious when you haven't tried or seen a character, what it actually does; that is what the gimmick is, or how it plays, how it's unique compared to every other character, and so on. Especially since how characters play is dependent on a lot of little details and interactions that are not obvious from a quick reading of the numbers.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Araganzar posted:

You know what's really pissing me off these days is that Google has started pointing my search for this thread to the old thread and refusing to acknowledge this one exists so now I have to search on "something awful genshin impact fatties" to find it.

Google fix your poo poo

Have you tried using the SA bookmarked thread functionality? I find that a lot more convenient than looking for threads every time. Unless it's a browser vs. mobile client thing, I've not used the latter.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I started doing the Inazuma story quests, and they really sent Sakujirou back out there solo in that rinky-dink canoe? Guy's going to drown right after the heartfelt reunion.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Am I missing something or do you get like 4 pufferfish in a fishing cycle? And it takes 40 to fully refine The Catch? And each cycle is 72 hours?
Whoever came up with this should have to redeem 30 pufferfish for their paycheck :argh:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Acerbatus posted:

For a bunch of super secretive assassins and spies or whatever these fatui guys seem to spend a lot of time standing around staring at nothing.

Normally I wouldnt think much of it but the hilchurls like, do stuff.

I'm only up to Narukami Island, but so far it seems like the Harbingers do the important work and the soldiers just bully randos since they're technically representatives of Snezhnaya and don't want to outright declare war.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 14, 2021

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Reached AR45 and I'm struggling a lot with the artifact domains. Basically everything is a one- or two- hit KO so you can't make any mistakes. It's still beatable but takes a bunch of tries which is not what you want when running it a bunch.
Am I just underleveled? My party's at level 65 or so, but I didn't think levels gave you that much in terms of defensive improvement.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

padijun posted:

most of the artifact domains are level 90. you're going to need your carry around level 75-80, weapon at 80-90, talents at 6-7, and artifacts level 12-16

that's so many local specialties and hilichurl masks and nobushi armguards and and and :negative:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
After putting in a bunch more tries and a lot of swearing, I think a lot of the domains are actually doable way underleveled, but you have to fail a few tries to figure out how to cheese it. For example, Peak of Vindafnyr (whatever the Blizzard set domain is called) has a Frostarm Lawachurl that can one-shot me, and the Cryo Abyss Mage is too disruptive for me to dodge both at once. But if I prep Xiangling to have her burst (don't have ER to build it up in time without prepping), I can focus down the abyss mage and then dodging the Lawachurl is doable. But it takes like 5 minutes of bashing at it while taking care not to get comboed.

the Emblem of Severed Fate one is also pretty easy if you abuse freeze. the downside being it also takes the whole timer to finish the big guy

Redmark fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 15, 2021

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Blitzed through the archon quest for the event. Though it was pretty rushed, I still quite liked the ending sequence. Unfortunately Sara and the resistance pretty much job for the grown-ups...

I would have preferred if the Shogun had a bit more justification for the Vision Hunt. As it is she kind of just gets baited into it, then talked down by her friend like a chump. One thing that wasn't obvious to me: who actually hands out Visions? Is it the Archon, or whatever's going on in Celestia? They kind of hint at something there with with Ei cutting herself off from Celestia but I don't know what exactly that means. Also, rather than hand-waving about wishes and ambitions, I suppose Visions are for people who are particularly obsessed/determined, right? According to the story the vast majority of people aren't affected by the Hunt and so don't care, despite presumably having normal lives with normie-sized ambitions. Hell, maybe Ei would've made that argument if she hadn't spent centuries indoors ruining her communication skills :v:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Ei didn't oppose the Vision Hunt Decree mainly because she sees visions as damaging to the people who receive them. Their ambitions grow too much for them, and they die early deaths as a result. She feels this way due watching her friends and her sister die, chasing after a more prosperous Inazuma, and feels only the unchanging Eternity is what will truly protect Inazuma. As visions are born of people rejecting eternity and seeking greater heights, she sees fit to take them away. She's very much the "omnipotent god looking down on the puny mortals" type character. Only when those very ambitions are wielded by the Traveler and she (and her Eternity) is defeated by them, does she admit that she was wrong, and reverse her stance on the Vision Hunt Decree. She still pursues Eternity, but one that can coincide with the ambitions of the people of Inazuma.

What I'm not quite clear on: was she wrong, about that first thing? I mean that's an objective yes/no statement, right? I feel like that ties into the question of where the gently caress Visions come from, and whether they're cause or effect.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Hazdoc posted:

We don't have an objective answer to that. To the traveler, the resistance, and most vision holders, having a Vision is a good thing, that should be protected. To the commoners, they are ambivalent or jealous of vision holders. To Ei (and Dainsleif), visions are dangerous or problematic. We don't know if there's any baggage attached to them so far, but based on what we've seen, there's definitely more under the surface. We're unlikely to see anything concrete about this for now, though. We don't even know how visions are handed out, and who does it! It almost certainly has something to do with the "allogenes" Venti mentioned to us previously, and how some Vision holders can ascend to Celestia.

Ah, I mistook you to mean the Visions have physical effects like the Delusions. All of this makes sense.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Siochain posted:

Having wayyyy too much fun with this. Stuck in a bit of a dilemma though.
I hit AR35, and I have the quest to complete to raise my world level again. Problem is, I'm struggling with the world-bosses for mats to ascend characters already. I'm not sure if increasing the world level would be a smart idea.

I've been using Kaeya/Xiangling/Beidou, and bouncing between Noelle and Barbara depending on what I need.

I've got XQ levelled up a bit as well.

I also rolled a couple of times on Kokomi's banner, and ended up with her and a Rosaria. Can't ascend Kokomi as I haven't made it to Inazuma yet either. Also just rolled a Yanfei and a Sayu, and still have a Sucrose whom I haven't levelled up yet.

edit - can't spell character names correctly

It depends on which part you're struggling with. If it's with surviving on the bosses, there's no real substitute to learning the patterns (or rather the most dangerous specific attacks) and dodging. For instance every time my world level increases I fail a bunch of attempts relearning the Childe fight.
But at least in my experience the main challenge was outputting enough damage to not hate yourself. In the beginning you can pretty much do whatever you want and it'll work, but as the world level increases you become more and more reliant on specific synergies and skills, with everything else becoming marginal.
For example, one approach with your characters is to focus on Xiangling/Xingqiu and relying on vaporized Pyronado. Then nothing else really matters, and it becomes a minigame of building up enough energy to burst when you don't have ER bonuses to work with. But whichever team comp you use it's gotta do something good, because putting up random elemental skills on cooldown just doesn't cut it any more and you don't have the stats to be able to just mash buttons.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Pope Urbane II posted:

Crescent pike is still good for using XL as a phys carry in early and midgame.

Is it just the weapon, or is it somehow particularly good on Xiangling? Does she have better normals than other polearm users?

edit: oh yeah she's free

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I see a lot of teams include an Anemo character where it's not obvious what it does for the composition. Is that just for Viridescent Venerer? If so, are there any teams where you don't want an Anemo? (I guess other than physical damage ones)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
A question on team comps now that I'm starting to look at abyss: clearly national team is very powerful due to putting all the overpowered 4* together, but doesn't it make it much harder to form a second team? Would it be better to spread the supports among both sides, or are there strong teams which don't use any of Bennett/Xiangling/Xingqiu?
My 5* characters are Raiden and Diluc who seem to also rely on the same core of supports.

I'd experiment with it more myself but frankly farming hilichurl masks and the like sucks so I'd like to get it right on the first try.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Endorph posted:

you could run raiden/bennett/xiangling/sucrose on one end and diluc/xingqui/diona/kaeya on the other, maybe? Diluc wants Xingqui more than Raiden and Raiden can give Xiangling the energy she needs to ult. Sucrose can help group enemies up to make up for the lack of electricity bouncing around, Diona and Kaeya can add melt/shattering freeze damage for Diluc.

That's good feedback regarding the Diluc ideas. I've been shying away from forming teams with multiple reaction types since I've no idea how they're supposed to work but I guess I should suck it up and read some dissertations about elemental gauges or whatever :v:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Endorph posted:

its pretty simple

fire + water = vape. this one does a ton of damage so its good.
fire + ice = melt. this one does less damage so its not as good.
fire + electricity = i forget what its called but it causes an explosion. its okay but explosions can throw enemies around in annoying ways.
water + ice = freeze. this one makes it impossible to die if you lean into it.
water + electricity: i forget what its called but it makes electricity bounce around. the damage is kinda low but it has a big aoe.
ice + electricity: superconduct. it does basically no damage but shreds the enemy's physical resist so its good for all two viable physical dps's in the game. otherwise sucks.

wind: wind causes swirl which is just an additional application of the non-wind element, and spreads the element its reacting with around.

earth: sucks

I mean more like, if you have fire/water/ice with Diluc being DPS, is that better than just having fire/water for vaporize? Is it like you do half the melt and half the vaporize, or double, and how does freeze affect this? I know I've seen multiple elements on a monster at the same time, how does that work and why don't they react? I don't know how to analyze things like that without actually doing it in-game (and even then it's not clear how to come up with the proper rotation).

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
On the other hand the story mentions at some point that most Inazuma citizens don't care about the Vision Hunt (or even support it), since most people do not have Visions. And Ayaka cherry-picks the cases that are the most sympathetic, so that the Traveler joins her cause (she says as much).

The problem is that for the Shogun's actions to make any sense at all she must have some argument for "visions bad". There are a few different ways one might envision that playing out (like in Hazdoc's post above). But for whatever reason the game just doesn't dwell on it at all in the main story scenes besides "uhhh eternity", so you just have to guess (or go with "Shogun bad" instead).

In general it seems like an issue where the way the plot is delivered (and the balance of show vs. tell) is not working out, where if we take the scenes literally as presented it leads to problems. I think the whole Eula conversation runs into the same thing.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Do we think Mihoyo even knows the answer? If it was me making this game I would definitely make poo poo up as I go along but I've never played Honkai so I don't know what their tendencies are like.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I don't feel like the dialogue was all that stretched. Rather it just feels like no one really cares about Xinyan or Shiki Taishou, which, :shrug:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
How important is Sayu for overworld play? I figure having a movement ability + half an Anemo resonance + claymore for rocks is pretty good. I'll probably roll for her even though I'm ambivalent about Hu Tao since I care a lot more about running around than Abyss.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
There's only one Catch though.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Reached World Level 7 and now the Oceanid birds one-shot my characters :shobon: To put it mildly that is fairly loving annoying.
When some of the water animals die they release a big water wave. Do I just have to tank that or what? The wiki says it has a large AoE but I've never been able to outrun it.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I liked Tsurumi but it reminded me of how much harder puzzles are with the first-person perspective. The block-pushing ones would be trivial as 2D Sokoban but here I had to keep looking around to remember where was that one? Where's it supposed to go? What's blocking that again?

The worst offenders in that respect were the light mirror puzzles on Yashiori. Unless I totally missed something, you can't see where the beam bounces after the first couple of mirrors so it becomes guess-and-check for where it's going wrong.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I think this discussion would be a lot less tense if people just said what they think instead of trying to have a Socratic dialogue.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Tanreall posted:

Is it coming off as tense? To me it's mostly people avoiding my questions and trying to be snarky.

Sure, I just mean that even if you think so it would be better to write out your position and leave it. This way isn't really accomplishing anything.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
imo it's that optimized rotations are too smooth and ER too strong. If you're bursting off-cooldown with every character you're spending half your time in invincibility frames, plus most bursts staggering enemies, making it so that you don't have to care about what the enemies actually do. Even for teams that don't exactly work like this (Hu Tao?) people compensate by adding a massive fuckoff shield from Zhongli or whatever.

Longtime players may not remember but when you're starting out, a lot of combat is like oh poo poo oh gently caress run around, try not to get stunlocked or two-shot, as you desperately try to build meter with Guoba or Kaeya skill or such.

I guess the upshot is, unequip your artifacts :v:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Will we get gameplay details for these two before the next banners end? Do people expect much overlap between Shenhe/Eula and Yunjin/Albedo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

MoonCrab posted:

By the way, I absolutely wouldn't trust anything anybody says about power level during this time. Unless they're just generically good in a predictable way, like if Shenhe really does end up being 5 star Rosaria.

Definitely, I started on the Raiden banner and even then it was clear community evaluations are suspect.
I mainly want to see if Shenhe is competing with or complementary to Eula.