Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Childe was already pretty cool before this patch but the main story and his character story really endeared him to me way more. What a lovable and concerning borderline psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Jinnigan posted:

One of my big pet peeves is when writers use children to justify utterly ridiculous and irrational characters, instead of actually child-like characters. In conclusion, I hated the story and I hope his dipshit brother never comes back.

I don't think it justifies anything that Childe is doing at all. He even breaks his mask a bit and admits that he knows full well he's doing terrible poo poo working for the Tsaritza and that's why he wants to keep Teucer out of the loop as much as possible. His extreme battle lust is never presented as a good trait either. His relationship with his brother doesn't magically make him a good person and excuse all his other bullshit. I think it brings a nice depth but that's just me. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Keqing is cool because the entirety of Liyue is super devout to Rex Lapis and reverent of the adepti and she's just like "who gives a poo poo, gods suck".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It'll be nice to get a free C1 for Fischl since I somehow dodged her that hard during my mass of pulls on the Venti banner. Though I dunno how much it'll make a difference in her performance as a support.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh hey I pulled Beidou neat. Shame since I've had Razor from the start and don't really have any good place for her since she's a cool pirate lady.

Although I've seen she works amazingly well with Childe if I manage to get him soon.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Jinnigan posted:

whats the beidou/childe synergy build?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/jtfvp3/childe_beidou_discount_foul_legacy_transformation/

Basically with the way Beidou's burst works to add bonus electro damage to attacks for a duration you throw it on and then Childe gets to proc poo poo load of electrocharged reactions in melee stance while it's up. I believe you'd want to build Beidou with a lot of energy gen to keep the burst online as much as possible since it's a high cost one at 80 energy. Possibly also elemental mastery.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Saxophone posted:

So if I'm reading the Battlepass right, I get rewards regardless if I buy one, but if I pay 10 bucks I get extra rewards? I just hit AR20 and play like 20-30 minutes a day. (Currently obsessed with AC: Valhalla) but would probably come back to this.

Yup. If you look at the reward track the bottom half that's locked off is what buying the pass will get you for each rank. Like was already said it's better to wait until towards the end so you know how far along you are and what you'll get before buying unless you are just in dire need of mora or EXP books or something.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

"It's the wasted xp books and leveling up inferior weapons for some c tier unit"

[Laughs in Ningguang]

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

People are always super shortsighted at evaluating characters early in a game's life cycle. Go look at the tier lists for a fighting game for the first like 6 months of its lifetime as an example, lists go all over the drat place until a lot of time has passed.

It's especially pointless in this game anyways given the difficulty is very low and even in Abyss which is the current top end content people have taken only freebie basic bitches and cleared.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

CJ posted:

Who has done that?

Tier lists are good because it gives people a quick reference for the current understanding of who is good or not. This is important in a game based around investing resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmN_xza_Hs

Here's one example of someone doing an in-depth overview of their team for Floor 7 as well as the actual clear. The only wild card here is Bennett, because the Beginner Banner will spit out Noelle and one other random 4* for you. Everyone else he shows is given to you for free. Xiangling comes from clearing Floor 3 of the Abyss which is very low difficulty and Barbara is given to you for free at AR18.

You'll also notice that Amber, Noelle, Kaeya, and Bennett are all below level 20 in this video too.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Given that the banner leak was 100% correct about Childe's banner, I don't see much reason to believe Zhongli's will differ at all.

Even though it's still really funny that it's Oops! All Claymores with the 4* characters.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6886UG_pqyI

The real MVP of this patch is this music honestly.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Saving is nice and all but they had to go and put two idiot himbos back to back as the featured 5* units and just screw me over. There's no way I'll get both and it sucks. I just want the handsome idiots.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

UltraRed posted:

Is rust the rust bow from the weapon banner? I got that and rainslasher off a 10 wish pull.

Not sure what to do with rainslasher. Good again oceanid but oceanid eats claymore users? :confused:

Rainslasher is basically free extra damage on Razor & Beidou as electro greatsword users. Probably less useful on anyone else unless you are running Xingqiu or Barbara to get free wet procs on everything in melee and even then I dunno if that gimmick is worth not using a better claymore option you might have.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The Himbo is Home! \o/

What artifact sets are people using on him since we don't have a good hydro set right now?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Framboise posted:

Seems like the favored build right now is 2 Gladiator/2 Noblesse for the atk boost and the burst boost. Tartaglia's burst scales insanely high (even more so if it's a vaporize) so it's worth pumping.

Ah cool that doesn't sound too bad to scrounge up. Time to look up some artifact farming paths so I can get him up to speed.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Why are the 5* artifact domains so ridiculously scaled I just want some Noblesse pieces. I suppose I could settle for 4* pieces for awhile...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I overlooked a very critical downside to pulling Childe.

I have to farm Oceanid now.

:shepface:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Beidou absolutely mulches every creature it spawns besides the fuckin birds. Slapping 600% damage counters + electroshock every 7.5 seconds just wipes out the crabs and poo poo.

Well I did just pull her and there are a bunch of EXP books to get from the event. Could just have her steal Razor's weapon and artifacts even though I don't think Gladiator's is the most ideal on her. Was already wanting to get her to a decent level anyways just due to how she synergizes with Childe.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh right I'm sure I saw this being discussed some days ago but I don't remember the outcome if it was tested.

How does the 2-piece Gambler's set work on Childe? Is the 20% boost to Elemental Skill damage only applied to the explosion that happens when you stance switch or does it actually apply to the melee attacks?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Bland posted:

It's ok to like bad characters. It's also ok to not like bad characters.

It's ok.

Yeah I love Childe. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Lisa also really wants constellation bonuses to help shore up her problems. C2 gives her a survivability boost while charging her E (25% DEF and Interruption Resist) while C6 turbos out her big damage by letting her just immediately throw 3 stacks of conductivity on enemies in the area when you swap to her. She's basically a character you pull out for a big burst of damage and then swap out.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I did the childe story quest and the test run, and if I'm being honest Childe is just too weird for me. His melee is really cool, and then it seems like you pretty much never want to swap off of him because it falls off and you're stuck in lovely bow stance? I'm kinda sad the banner that finally has ning and beidou on it has him as the 5 star, but I got a couple of dupes of both of them without wasting a pity so it worked out.

Bows in general just feel like someone at mihoyo thinks they're a lot better than they really are. Smaller targets will dodge a lot of the shots and nobody has time to charge for 2 seconds while putting on blinders and reducing your move speed. Having a carry that's only good half the time seems extremely bad, regardless of how good the burst is.

He's good but I think he's gonna be very divisive because he's got Chores to do with his damage output. Personally I like that he's got a lot going on compared to someone like Diluc who is just mash the E key at high speeds forever.

Bow stance ain't bad as he's got good multipliers and stuff but he's definitely way slower there than he is in melee. Without any constellations I think the way of the game is to be pretty conservative about how long you keep him in melee stance given the cooldown scales up the longer you stay there. Alternatively you can treat him like a big burst character and bring him out to do his thing for as long as you can and then swap to another big DPS carry character while his cooldown ticks. I think pairing him with another good hydro like Xingqiu or Mona will be real helpful as well to make sure he can burst more often.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

dogsicle posted:

i'm still just wondering what exactly about test run Childe made him feel so much better than mine :sigh:

someday i'll get there

Most likely just raw talent levels. If you don't have him at 70 yet there's also the talent that makes melee stance crits apply Riptide. You can actually view his character page in the free trial through the radial menu. They have him at Level 80 with a Level 80 Favonius Warbow, a set of 4* Brave Heart artifacts, and Level 8 Talents.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

As someone who has Diluc, yeah I can agree. He's powerful and very good but man he's a basic rear end bitch that's not very entertaining to play. Part of the reason I'm real happy to have Childe now.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I suddenly realized a big reason I wanted Childe so much and am enjoying him and it's purely an aesthetics thing.

His whole gimmick of having water daggers that he combines into a polearm thing is basically just Zidane from FF Dissidia and IX is my favorite FF game. I wonder if they were going for that as an inspiration for his attack style at all.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

theblackw0lf posted:

For the character banner, it says that there’s a 50 percent chance that when I get a four star it will be one of the ones on the banner, and if I don’t get it the next one is guaranteed. Is that only for the first pull, or is it always 50 percent?

And if so, then if I’m trying to get a character that’s not on the banner (like my C1 for Fischl) would I then be better off pulling on standard banner!

The bonus is always there so even if your luck is terrible you'll still always get a featured 4* character every other drop.

Also yeah, standard banner gives you better odds at non-featured 4* characters but the pool is very large so if you are only aiming for one specific character the odds are still gonna be slim. That said we'll be getting a free Fischl from the current event soon so I'd say don't bother.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Hm, I have a decision to make on wishes. Do I continue pulling on this one to try to nab Diona who would pair well with Razor (and potentially Diluc??) or do I save up for Zhongli's banner and hope for Popsicle Boy as my cryo unit.

On the one hand Diona seems to be a real good support character but on the other Chongyun is a Certified Good Boy.

This game is terrible for me I just want everyone and it sucks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah I'm definitely spoiled for choice on carries between Childe, Diluc, and Razor so going for Diona is probably the play to make. Everyone is cool in this game and it's not fair that I have to make decisions.

e: And then I get Diona in the 3 pulls I had saved up. I've finally been saved from Kaeya Hell! \o/

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 18, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm having a... unique problem of having Too Many Archers and Not Enough Bows. I got Rust on Childe, Stringless on Fischl, and Favonius Warbow on Venti. This kinda leaves Diona with nothing useful she could really benefit from unless she steals the Favonius Warbow from Venti... which then leaves him without a decent weapon.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm just waiting for them to make a geo claymore character. The one claymore to rule them all.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Osmosisch posted:

Noelle is extremely needs suiting.

I can't believe I forgot Noelle. I'm a fraud. I'm a joke. Don't look at me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

funkymonks posted:

Please give me a hairy beast of a dude. He can be swole, heavy, slim I don’t care. Just make him a hairy man.

Some actual beef would be very welcome in this game full of twinkies.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Flavahbeast posted:

is C1 Ninguang decent with Venti? None of my leveled dudes have good synergy with his wind ball and my only other catalyst options are Lisa, Sucrose and Barbara

Swirl won't do anything for her but yeah in theory Venti's burst would actually work well with all the splash damage from Ningguang's normals.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

What are people thinking in terms of accessories for Diona? I was considering 2 Piece Bolide (+35% Shield Effectiveness) and either 2 Piece Scholar (20% Energy Recharge) or 2 Piece Maiden Beloved (+15% Healing Effectiveness). It seems like she really wants energy recharge for her ult since it's costly and I dunno if she even really wants too much extra healing boosts since the ult seems to work like Bennett's and is pretty speedy regardless.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Squiddycat posted:

I've already got all the exp books

I think I like this game too much

Game is simple but it's real fun.

It's the combat that keeps me so captivated. It's not a particularly deep system mechanically and yet there's enough going on that just makes it super fun to go to town on things.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The optimization argument is nice and all but Razor will perform more than well enough even if you aren't keeping that up time. Hell I've cleared up to Abyss 7 without even pairing him with a cryo because I'm a dumb baby. I would prefer Diona because she's offering more utility (shields and healing) than Kaeya who is there solely to proc cryo and otherwise does nothing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Technically speaking there's always that 0.6% chance of just nabbing a 5* before the pity starts scaling up so if people win the lottery they can end up ahead of the curve.

I've had moments of weakness and spent some money here and there and I'm sitting on three 5* units; Venti, Diluc, and Tartaglia. I'm pretty boned on getting Zhongli unless I end up hitting that lottery chance *and* the 50% odds swing in my favor.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

If it's like other gacha games they could potentially do rerun banners in the future, perhaps in tandem with the usual premium/weapon/standard banners or as it's own premium during a content lull. But like most gacha games it will probably be a pretty significantly long gap between a character's release and a rerun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I guess since we're posting our shames or something...

Featuring:

C6 Xiangling
C6 Barbara
C2 Ningguang
C2 Lisa (lol)
C1 Noelle