Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I was wondering how people here tend to store and keep track of their comics. Graphic novels are easy, as all you need is a bookshelf, but floppies are another matter. I figured we would share our storage solutions here, and show off our unruly collections.

Personally I have just used long boxes, as they are cheap and easy to get, but with time I realized that boxes are where comics go to die. Once they were out of sight in a 60lb box buried underneath stack of other 60lb boxes, I rarely bothered to dig them out, and with time even started to forget what was stashed where. And the annoyance of having half filled boxes with floppies just sliding around inside them just exacerbated my dislike for them.

I figured since I am an adult now, maybe I should look into making my stash of comics look more presentable.

My first solution was having my books bound.

As much as I like their look on a bookshelf, book binding is either very expensive when done by others, and very time consuming when done by yourself. Also the process irreversibly alters the books, so I only do this with comics that are cheap and common. In the end I decided to do this only to my reprints.

My next idea was to make slipcases for the floppies to slide into. That way I could put grouped collections of comics on the shelf in an attractive package, without destroying them in the process.

This was a pretty inexpensive way of neatly shelving my floppies, but I really didnt like how I had to dump the whole stack out of the box to find a specific issue. Made browsing very tedious. Also making them is a bit of a pain, when you have to make them in bulk.

So my next amazing idea was putting my books into binders. But not any old binders. Custom binders! Because I hate free time!

The original binders were old beat up ones I have liberated from work, and "reskinned" them with similar methods used in book binding/slipcase making. I am really happy with the results, but unfortunately binders are much bulkier compared to slipcases, and eat up shelf space really quickly.

With time I started running out of space so I have decided to go for more utility in the end, and make myself some custom furniture.

I guess its a mix of the utility of a longbox, with ease of access and better compartmentalization, and so far I am very happy with it. I am thinking about making another one of these.

Writing this post I realize that I might be pretty silly about my fussiness when it comes to comic book storage and organization, but I figured maybe people want to share their ways stuffing their homes with highly combustible paper products. Maybe post some pictures of long box pyramids? Custom shelving? Big funeral pyres in the living room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Putrid Grin posted:

I was wondering how people here tend to store and keep track of their comics. Graphic novels are easy, as all you need is a bookshelf, but floppies are another matter. I figured we would share our storage solutions here, and show off our unruly collections.

Personally I have just used long boxes, as they are cheap and easy to get, but with time I realized that boxes are where comics go to die. Once they were out of sight in a 60lb box buried underneath stack of other 60lb boxes, I rarely bothered to dig them out, and with time even started to forget what was stashed where. And the annoyance of having half filled boxes with floppies just sliding around inside them just exacerbated my dislike for them.

I figured since I am an adult now, maybe I should look into making my stash of comics look more presentable.

My first solution was having my books bound.

As much as I like their look on a bookshelf, book binding is either very expensive when done by others, and very time consuming when done by yourself. Also the process irreversibly alters the books, so I only do this with comics that are cheap and common. In the end I decided to do this only to my reprints.

My next idea was to make slipcases for the floppies to slide into. That way I could put grouped collections of comics on the shelf in an attractive package, without destroying them in the process.

This was a pretty inexpensive way of neatly shelving my floppies, but I really didnt like how I had to dump the whole stack out of the box to find a specific issue. Made browsing very tedious. Also making them is a bit of a pain, when you have to make them in bulk.

So my next amazing idea was putting my books into binders. But not any old binders. Custom binders! Because I hate free time!

The original binders were old beat up ones I have liberated from work, and "reskinned" them with similar methods used in book binding/slipcase making. I am really happy with the results, but unfortunately binders are much bulkier compared to slipcases, and eat up shelf space really quickly.

With time I started running out of space so I have decided to go for more utility in the end, and make myself some custom furniture.

I guess its a mix of the utility of a longbox, with ease of access and better compartmentalization, and so far I am very happy with it. I am thinking about making another one of these.

Writing this post I realize that I might be pretty silly about my fussiness when it comes to comic book storage and organization, but I figured maybe people want to share their ways stuffing their homes with highly combustible paper products. Maybe post some pictures of long box pyramids? Custom shelving? Big funeral pyres in the living room?

all of this is awesome. i think the slipcase of stuff on a shelf you don't intend to come back to and "archive" combined with the filing cab desk you've made for active reading is the pinnacle, great job

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Thanks! That is something I am planning on doing. Currently I am in a process of building another cabinet since the room where I store all my books had a mini split AC installed and I need to build over the unit to get back some of the storage.
I am also thinking about making some slipcases for my collection of Savage Sword of Conan, but using leather to match the rugged content of the books. Will need to play around with the materials first to see if it works.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Putrid Grin posted:

You are a madman and this is incredible. The majority of my comics are my dad's old ones that I grew up reading, which live in the three or four giant Rubbermaids they always have, but I'd love to have a better solution than that. However, the thought of bagging and boarding them all gives me the shudders.