Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like a fair topic to discuss the upcoming reboot of Animaniacs. 13 new episodes coming to Hulu starting Friday.

Bringing back the same voice actors from the original series and seems they actually have passion for the project and are not doing it just for the money...

No reason to drag this OP down with words, here is some trailers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxU_YnduY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOrUvOPfgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_vASjvYQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtgmWtaCPM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

And as for why Dot is topless and Wacko is Pantsless, who knows...

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Wow, only two days away? How time flies...

I like what I see so far - it seems they'll be doing a good job with the transition to 21st century society.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems it shouldn't be too much of a surprise, but the entire original series is on Hulu as well if you want to get reacquainted with the show...

Also a random educational song from the original show... teach your kids how to multiply :eng101:

"You have 10 cookies, someone takes half of them, what will they have?"

"A broken hand"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fan6ggvh4U

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm sad they won't be able to do any more Prince jokes.

But assuming the primary writers/producers are the same (and not just the VAs), I wholly expect them to continue dunking on Newt Gingrich and Rush Limbaugh.
Or maybe replace them with Ted Cruz and Tucker Carlson. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 19, 2020

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well... It's time for Animaniacs friends.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
its alright

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx36GRy8axQ

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Frankly I'd rather have the polar bears.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

So, we have Clinton, AOC, Warren, Kagan, Sotomayor, and I don't recognize the other three.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So did it end up being bad?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’ve only watched the first episode but I liked it. It’s very faithful to the original. If you can still enjoy the old Warner and PatB shorts you’ll probably like it just fine. If not there’s nothing here for you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If Good Idea Bad Idea doesn't come back this whole thing is a failure.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

That first song really sounded like the bureaucrat song from Futurama, but this overall feels right.

I don't like all the side characters being gone, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't have Hulu access right now, so I've only seen a few clips on youtube, but losing Slappy Squirrel has got to be the biggest blow. She was kind of lynchpin that connected the rest of show to its vaudeville/looney toons roots. And she had the best one-liners, especially when dealing with the absurdities of '90s Hollywood. She would've been supercharged in today's environment.

That said, they brought back the songs, but my real question is did they bring back the educational stuff. Or is it all just political and SoCal commentary now?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Watching the first ep and you can tell it’s for the parents, not the kids.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Oh god the Cyclops in the Odyssey sketch in the second episode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm basing this off of only the first three episodes, but first off, I think if you haven't actually watched the original in years and are going off your nostalgic memory of it, you might be taken aback slightly by this. Everyone remembers the sarcastic wit, meta humor, and satire, but it seems people tend to forget that it was very much a wacky, obnoxious 90's edgy cartoon.

Second, I think they nailed the way the show should feel perfectly. The writing is tighter and snappier than in the original and doesn't feel nerfed for kids programming. By that, I mean, if you go back and watch most of your childhood favorites now, the slower pacing and repetition can make them difficult to sit through. Thinking back to the Rocko's Modern Life one-off reboot, overall you could tell very much that they anticipated kids watching it. That doesn't seem to be the case here, kids aren't going to watch this and the show seems to know, so it's very much playing to the millennials who watched it as kids. I'd say it even feels more like how you remember the original show vs how the original show actually was.

Agreed that the missing secondary character segments are a bit of disappointment, but I'm sure it was probably pretty hard to get all the voice talent back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Oh god the Cyclops in the Odyssey sketch in the second episode.

I will say that part was relatively well done. It didn’t touch on anything political that would date it and instead focused on the inherent hilarity of a senile, lying, egotistical, overgrown bottle of tanning oil. Don’t get me wrong, I love giving Trump poo poo on a political level, but I think that approach is more in scope with the overall sketch.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I will say that part was relatively well done. It didn’t touch on anything political that would date it and instead focused on the inherent hilarity of a senile, lying, egotistical, overgrown bottle of tanning oil. Don’t get me wrong, I love giving Trump poo poo on a political level, but I think that approach is more in scope with the overall sketch.

I agree. I liked the way they did it. It felt very much in line with Elmyra or the Abominable Snowman, just grosser. It felt kinda Ren and Stimpyish but it felt like a natural progression from WB cartoons going back 80 years.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just said that I liked how they tried not to date the show too much with that and then in a later Ep2 segment they pulled out a Leroy Jenkins joke. :eng99:

EDIT: EP3: Okay, the pegasus payoff got me.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 20, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ahahaha, I've seen clips of it online, but that one segment in ep 4 is still amazing. :allears:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

EDIT: EP3: Okay, the pegasus payoff got me.

I didn't realize that everything and everyone were going to go full Lisa Frank.

VVV I was expecting it because of the trailer, but I figured it'd be right at the beginning VVV

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 20, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I didn't realize that everything and everyone were going to go full Lisa Frank.

My favorite part was the weird tone of the pegasus's speech afterwards, it's like it was written completely in the dark about the scene's context and somehow that makes it hilarious.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I kinda doubt that kids would care for this but I'm exactly the target demographic so to hell with 'em I'm laughing

though I do have to ask if the original had such a focus on lovingly drawn nipples

Pollyanna posted:

My favorite part was the weird tone of the pegasus's speech afterwards, it's like it was written completely in the dark about the scene's context and somehow that makes it hilarious.

that is of course noted star of the silver screen Jon Bailey, aka Epic Voice Guy

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I knew this already, but the cyclops segment cemented Maurice Lamarche's hella good range, goddamn.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

World War Mammories posted:

I kinda doubt that kids would care for this but I'm exactly the target demographic so to hell with 'em I'm laughing

though I do have to ask if the original had such a focus on lovingly drawn nipples

that is of course noted star of the silver screen Jon Bailey, aka Epic Voice Guy

Man, I did not find expect to find out Kirby Morrow died from clicking that link.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I've only gotten through the 1st 4 episodes so far and very much enjoying the new series.

Hopefully they can manage to get Slappy and the Good Feathers into season 2 though.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
When the trailers first came out, I was bummed to learn that the majority of the secondary characters would be left out of the reboot. But then as I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the absolute hell out some of the new eps today, I remembered that kid-me actually didn't care for most of the other characters very much, if at all. When I was a kid, I mainly watched the show because I really only liked the Warner siblings, Pinky and the Brain, and Slappy Squirrel. Everyone else just kinda felt like filler until a short starring any of the abovementioned three came back on.

And some were just outright torture. God, the Hip Hippos loving sucked.

So, in the meantime, I'm pretty content with the slimmed-down cast. But -

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hopefully they can manage to get Slappy and the Good Feathers into season 2 though.

Definitely wouldn't mind an appearance from the former, though still iffy on the latter. They never worked for me as a "both kids and adults can enjoy this!" thing.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 21, 2020

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've been enjoying it so far, but Its hard not to notice the slimmed down cast. I guess it all depends on how much you love Pinky and the Brain. I wasn't a huge fan beyond just Maurice doing the voice. I wish there was more variety, but its still a fun time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wish they had brought back some of those little bumper moments like Good Idea, Bad Idea. I think that would have made it feel more complete.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

When the trailers first came out, I was bummed to learn that the majority of the secondary characters would be left out of the reboot. But then as I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the absolute hell out some of the new eps today, I remembered that kid-me actually didn't care for most of the other characters very much, if at all When I was a kid, I mainly watched the show because I really only liked the Warner siblings, Pinky and the Brain, and Slappy Squirrel. Everyone else just kinda felt like filler until a short starring any of the abovementioned three came back on.

And some were just outright torture. God, the Hip Hippos loving sucked.

So, in the meantime, I'm pretty content with the slimmed-down cast. But -

Definitely wouldn't mind an appearance from the former, though still iffy on the latter. They never worked for me as a "both kids and adults can enjoy this!" thing.

The off-handed line they gave re: Hello Nurse was pretty legit.

But yeah. The only side characters I liked (who weren't immediate Warner-adjacent) were Slappy and the Good Feathers. (Honorable mention to Rita + Runt because Bernadette Peters voice and they kind of hit it out of the park with the WWII and Les Mis episodes). The side bits like Good Idea/Bad Idea and Randy Beaman kid were also A-class.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The animaniacs prediction of 2020 ends up not being as crazy as the actual 2020.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was only able to watch one episode, but I liked it a lot. These voice actors are as sharp as ever and the Reboot it song is catchy as hell.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The joke about that weird rear end superhero looney tunes spinoff from the 2000s in episode 2 was made for me specifically.

Reboot is pretty good so far even if I'm really missing Slappy and also the smaller segments. I hope there's at least one Wheel of Morality bit, even if most of the smaller things are out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Why...why is the animation of this so loving good? Did they get the guys from Trigger to guest animate this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4_xF3W2N4s

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 21, 2020

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Honestly this is...not bad. The animation is a little too clean and sterile but the tone is pretty spot on from how I remember the show. I don't miss most of the side characters but I'd like to see more little odds and ends like the Wheel of Morality or Good Idea Bad Idea. I'm usually pretty cynical about stuff like this but so far, so good!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

robot roll call posted:

Honestly this is...not bad. The animation is a little too clean and sterile but the tone is pretty spot on from how I remember the show. I don't miss most of the side characters but I'd like to see more little odds and ends like the Wheel of Morality or Good Idea Bad Idea. I'm usually pretty cynical about stuff like this but so far, so good!

Yeah the writing is carrying it. The backgrounds and music are nice but something about the actual motion of the animation is a little too... 2000s Flash-y. A little too smooth I guess?

This is probably just my reaction from comparing digital animation to cell animation but still.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Why...why is the animation of this so loving good? Did they get the guys from Trigger to guest animate this?

It was this studio. Looks like they also did the animation in front of Sonic Mania which was pretty rad.
https://twitter.com/StudioYotta/status/1329890349674803201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

AlternateNu posted:

its def inspired primarily by KLK