Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

cnut
May 3, 2016

cnut
May 3, 2016

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Reported for bigotry

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hello friends.

I was gifted this avatar and red text today, maybe from banned from Starbucks or Trash Ops or someone else, which is cool. Thank you! This was gifted over a trend I've seen in CineD over the past week, which also resulted in a QCS thread, and I think it's worth addressing. Especially because it seems that parts of it were unclear, and I always try to be open about how I mod.

Bigoted language isn't welcome in CineD, and I will probate a poster over it.

There is, obviously, a distinction between slurs, and how some are pointed towards ethnicities, skin colors, while others are pointed towards nationalities or sexualities. Different slurs carry different weight, which I understand; the n-word and the f-word are harsher weaponized words than those like "frog" and "wop". I've been reminded by hopefully well-meaning goons that treating every slur the same is regressive. And I understand that. To clarify this, every use of slurs to be pejorative towards a person or a group of people or a nationality will get a probation for bigoted language. Context and the type of slurs used will dictate the length of probation. As mod of CineD, and as a person that tries to promote it as a welcoming place to talk about movies, and I don't think condoning bigoted language is the way to do that.

If, somehow, a lesser-known slur is used out of accident, and you are probated, feel free to PM me. I don't think that's what happened with the "frog" incident that happened in this thread, which lead to some nice PMs and getting gifted an Av that shows I don't tolerate bigotry. If a probation seems too harsh or doesn't seem well explained, I'm willing to rethink what I've decided, with discussion and context, cuz I make mistakes just like everyone else. But words like "wop", "frog", "polack", even though antiquated and not as common, still carry bigotry with them, whether it's intended or not. I know that a lot of these have basis in jokes and humor, but it's important to point out that jokes about an entire nationality or country is a regressive act, and still involves forms of xenophobia.

In the context of the joke that got banned from Starbucks a 24 hour probation, while I am fully aware that it was a joke, making a joke about a French character that is a direct pun involving a slur, in a week where that slur has weirdly been thrown around a lot (including one case where a person making a Luc Bresson joke implied that every French person is a pedophile), I wasn't in the mood to be tolerant of it.

For the simplicity of moderating, whether or not a slur is "punching up" or "punching down" or "punching sideways", it's still throwing pejorative punches, which is probate-able. Letting small slurs slide by is a slippery slope I'd rather not get into. If you think that being limited on what slurs should and should not be allowed is wrong, I'd say you should probably check your heart and think about why you care about posting that way in this community.

The discussion around various forms of bigotry and pejorative language and the sliding scale of slurs is big and involves a lot of nuance, so I hope this post was more clarifying on how and why I probate for slurs. If you want to PM me in SA or on Discord, I will address it when I have the time and mental energy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gay frog sucking a peehole dry gay frog

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mods!!!!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chomp8645 posted:

Hello friends.

I was gifted this avatar and red text today, maybe from banned from Starbucks or Trash Ops or someone else, which is cool. Thank you! This was gifted over a trend I've seen in CineD over the past week, which also resulted in a QCS thread, and I think it's worth addressing. Especially because it seems that parts of it were unclear, and I always try to be open about how I mod.

There is, obviously, a distinction between slurs, and how some are pointed towards ethnicities, skin colors, while others are pointed towards nationalities or sexualities. Different slurs carry different weight, which I understand; the n-word and the f-word are harsher weaponized words than those like "frog" and "wop". I've been reminded by hopefully well-meaning goons that treating every slur the same is regressive. And I understand that. To clarify this, every use of slurs to be pejorative towards a person or a group of people or a nationality will get a probation for bigoted language. Context and the type of slurs used will dictate the length of probation. As mod of CineD, and as a person that tries to promote it as a welcoming place to talk about movies, and I don't think condoning bigoted language is the way to do that.

If, somehow, a lesser-known slur is used out of accident, and you are probated, feel free to PM me. I don't think that's what happened with the "frog" incident that happened in this thread, which lead to some nice PMs and getting gifted an Av that shows I don't tolerate bigotry. If a probation seems too harsh or doesn't seem well explained, I'm willing to rethink what I've decided, with discussion and context, cuz I make mistakes just like everyone else. But words like "wop", "frog", "polack", even though antiquated and not as common, still carry bigotry with them, whether it's intended or not. I know that a lot of these have basis in jokes and humor, but it's important to point out that jokes about an entire nationality or country is a regressive act, and still involves forms of xenophobia.

In the context of the joke that got banned from Starbucks a 24 hour probation, while I am fully aware that it was a joke, making a joke about a French character that is a direct pun involving a slur, in a week where that slur has weirdly been thrown around a lot (including one case where a person making a Luc Bresson joke implied that every French person is a pedophile), I wasn't in the mood to be tolerant of it.

For the simplicity of moderating, whether or not a slur is "punching up" or "punching down" or "punching sideways", it's still throwing pejorative punches, which is probate-able. Letting small slurs slide by is a slippery slope I'd rather not get into. If you think that being limited on what slurs should and should not be allowed is wrong, I'd say you should probably check your heart and think about why you care about posting that way in this community.

The discussion around various forms of bigotry and pejorative language and the sliding scale of slurs is big and involves a lot of nuance, so I hope this post was more clarifying on how and why I probate for slurs. If you want to PM me in SA or on Discord, I will address it when I have the time and mental energy.

I still can't believe this is real

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Also

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

Hello friends.

This is Matoi Ryoko levels of bad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Hello friends.

I'm gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Chomp8645 posted:

Hello friends.

My Kraut-Mick rear end thinks this is hilarious.